inTank Media Baskets

20 Long Ebay GU10 frag tank

--chris--

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I with my fans and my aqueon pro 100 watt on my 20 long, I'm keeping temp at 77.8-78.4. I literally have less than one degree temp shifts as of last week. My Sps (really only two frags are still browned out because the tank used to run at 80-82 so they're still getting used to the change), but my new really bright green mili is loving this tank. It's got good polyp extension and everything.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lights! This is with 10 ebay GU10's. color is 2:1 Royal blue:Neutral white, 1 watt each LED x 3 in a bulb = 3 wattsx10 bulbs=30 watts. This is using 60 degree optics. This photo is taking WITH flash for refrence. No adjustments made, thats pretty close to how it look to the naked eye. Very bright...

photobucket-34203-1362665330154_zps08b64

LED GU10's are an amazing little thing for our reef tanks. Really bring cost down on lighting.

I checked my 24 hour logging thermostat and it looks like its holding steady at 76.8 so i bumped the heater up too "82" from "80". I also had a recorded "low" of 70.5...the way the sensor was hanging its possible the sensor came out of the tank for a moment. I adjusted it to make sure that cant happen, ill check it again when i get home.

If that little hiccup is fixed, im ready to stock it.

Hmmmmmm....Lets see here I see rock scaped out nicely,sand all pretty and the lack of egg crate material....seems like we have a frag tank turned display tank. :ninja:

lol...nah just my style. i don't like plugs, so there is no utility in egg crate. ive always had better luck with sand in my tanks, and please...... that rock was literally dropped in there with a crying baby waiting for me.

i picked up some zoa colonies for CHEAP....ill be fraggin them up soon!

Reefmaster1996

Show us how you frag those, I've mostly seen people us a band saw or a Dremel, I see those for cheap a lot at work.

Show us how you frag those, I've mostly seen people us a band saw or a Dremel, I see those for cheap a lot at work.

Ive never used anything special for zoas. Razor/scalpel, protective gear and some bone shears to break the rock apart. The one piece i hae has hardly any rock, its amazing how the mat of the polyps were able to grow over almost nothing.

The plan is to break them into similiar colored pieces, then determine how many frags i can get out of one section and what size. I like to keep the chunks bigger unless i find some real unique polyps then ill go down to 1-2-3 polyp frags.

Fragging is done. I removed all the dead stuff i could find while fragging. I left the one rock untouched since A) It doesn't have anything unusual on it which means B) It looks pretty good as a large colony (6"x5") of around 250 polyps.

The other rock though, i found 3 very cool little polyps...maybe a paly (large). They are light mauve, with pink speckles and alternating pink/brown skirts. I ended up with about a dozen frags. Ill do a water change tomorrow, and another one later in the week to keep the die off from fouling the tank too much.

A couple weeks from now should be rather exciting to see how these look :)

Something to note that i thought was pretty cool. I unscrewed all but 3 light bulbs to light the tank and get the polyps to come out but at the same time not blast them with light. I think ill re-wire three of the bulbs onto a separate switch i can turn on/off for days like this.

Maybe...everything was pretty pissed off when i left lol. I did a lot of pruning, cutting, gluing, and smashing on accident. Ill see...lights come on at 8 PM.

cropped-5_zps1a7bc8c3.jpg

cropped-6_zps4467c3a5.jpg

frag1-1_zps6538de10.jpg

These are the ones i got a little excited to find buried in the colony.

pink-speckles-crop_zps966db7e4.jpg

Bad pic, and as always it looks more vivid in person.

Its a good start indeed. Ill do that water change later today, top off the 5 gallon fresh jug for the ATO and then forget about the tank till next weekend.

Ive had so many great offers, deals i had to pass up on this past week because of the size limitations of this tank.

wtf. I had someone offer me 5 colonies of zoas, the smallest being around 5" the biggest around 8" for $100. I could of fragged those up and made a lot of people happy with $10 frags!

Yes i am kind of regretting not going larger.

I bought some tavertine flooring from Home Depot. They are limestone or marble depending on which ones you get, which is exactly what reef rock is anyways. They DO come with some adhesive on the back. Use a razor blade to scrape as much off as you can. I didnt go crazy getting it all off, and my tank is fine with the little bit of glue that i left on them.

I think it was $3.50sh for 16 tiles. Give or take a few.

Reefmaster1996

I just asked my self that question a few days ago (about frag disks/plugs) I fragged a free acro that I rescued at work and I used bottle caps and a plastic mayo container lid and it seems to work well.

If anyone lives near a major city, you can usually find a marble countertop place that brings in and makes their own counters from raw materials. If your lucky (like me), they will also sell landscaping rock. The one near me sells what we call base rock for $0.25/lbs. Its dirty, it sits outside with birds and animals poo'in on it but it can be cleaned up easily and for that price you can make POUNDS of frag plugs for $1.00.

Just buy a few rocks, and get busy with a hammer. Ive noticed most people like getting frags on rubble rather than plugs. I use those squares on stuff i plan on keeping and growing out. Rubble for stuff i plan on trading/selling asap.

Archived