RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice new photos- tanks looking great? Love the mandarin

Nice update! :)

Cheers Ark ;).

Good to have you back man. :) Good job on getting everything cleaned up. Looking forward to some trip pictures. :)

Thanks buddy, it has been a tough last few months but i Think it is finally coming good. I can't wait to share some pics of the aquarium I visited in Singapore ;).

happy-birthday-cheers-good-sir_zpsiy8esx

Thanks Eddie :D.

An update! :) Everything that remains looks healthy, but I bet a lot of work!

Page quote.

What's this? An update? Well with our 4 day weekend for Easter I actually had time to catch up on a lot of things. Did a ton of tank maintenance on the Friday and today (Monday) I gave my dosing pumps a full clean and flush before recalibrating them.

I have been toying with the idea for a while now with going bare bottom for nutrient control. I have never changed the sand in this tank and I know its bloody filthy so instead of pulling all the sand out I removed half, what a chore it was.

So here is the sludge cube as it sits now:
73ZPBS.jpg
Don't mind the dirty glass and the strewn zoas everywhere, a result of the massive plumes of detritus the removal of the sand kicked up. I removed the top half of the sand as it was essentially clean, not having really seen any crap since I started up the tank.
En0zb7.jpg
xpAKtI.jpg

I rotated the rock on the left while I was at it, bright the right side of the rock a little more into view:
Ha5Qp2.jpg

Hmm, what else has changed?
My plate corals started to recede due to the nutrients so I moved them:
Gr815P.jpg
The look much happier now and have puffed up even more since the deep clean on Friday.

Big leather coral is loving the nutrients though:
UTRBGk.jpg

Chalice's not so much, I have to clean off the GHA daily:
sUFsyQ.jpg

LPS island still vacant of LPS but housing some nice cyano:
DjPDpV.jpg

And some random shots I took:
T96uQK.jpg
5DoxnQ.jpg
IbHY0u.jpg
bta9Cc.jpg
S6pJRV.jpg

So what have I been doing over the last 3 months? Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.
I came back from my trip to a tank purple with cyano, not one inch of the tank was free and all the corals were smothered. I increased water changes to weekly and increased volume from 17L to 30L. I was doing two changes a week until I could source a large enough bucket. As a result of the higher water volume I also had to upgrade my mixing heater, a 55W model does the trick perfectly. Every second day I have been stirring the sand and blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster. Filter socks have been in 24/7 and get changed every second day otherwise they clog up too much and restrict water flow. Over the last month I have been winning the battle. Most of the cyano is gone, only showing up again since I disturbed the sand. Only the GHA remains and it is dying back slowly.

My parameters are getting closer to where I want them to be as I fine tune the doser. It has been a fine learning curve but I have learn't so much from this ordeal. I'm hoping by the end of June I can say the tank is clean, healthy and stable so I can start to add more SPS and LPS.I have also started changing from Red Sea Coral Pro tests to Salifert tests as they run out, I find the Salifert tests much easier to read and am now using them for Alk and Mag.

Next steps for the tank:
Return pump - upgrade my existing for more flow through the sump and to support my two reactors. Tossing up between two models, both an AC and DC variant.
Return pump manifold - need to remake this to support the reactors. Add additional unions for modularity.
Ruturn Nozzle - I plan on using a pair of the oscillating return nozzles (forget the name off the top of my head) for additional randomised flow.
Skimmer - Considering upgrading to something higher capacity, potential sump remake, something simpler to house it maybe.
Light - Still want to do a Hydra upgrade kit to my Ai Sol. Although, for the price I can get an Ai Prime pretty much which will suit my tank perfectly while giving me the option to expand on the Prime system for a larger tank.

Well, I think that's all for now. There are so many other things rushing through my head but I cant quite remember what they are.

Happy Easter all :).

Nice update Jase. Cyano is a bitch.

Thanks Kat :). Yeah cyano is not fun to deal with but hopefully now I am seeing the end of it. Just need to keep up the water changes I guess. I really need to check in on things on your end and see how your new tank is going :).

An update! :) Everything that remains looks healthy, but I bet a lot of work!

Page quote.

Thanks Mark. Yep everything is looking good except the fungias. I had flesh lift off the skeletons about 1/2" (not recede, lift) but getting on top of the nutrients looks liked it has helped stop further damage and the flesh has healed. My newest orange and green button coral doesn't look so good though, I'll think I'll lose it despite my efforts. I have spent more time cleaning the tank lately then I would like but it is for the best. I'm just sick of seeing things die, tank has been on the downhill for almost 12 months now.

So guys, Time to make my mind up on a pump.

Currently I have a AquaOne Moray 1300 return pump feeding my tank from the sump. I have a 1" drain line with a second 1" drain as a backup. My current pump doesn't have the grunt to create a full siphon on my current drain config and therefore I have throttled it back considerably, around 50% to restrict the noise from the drain.

My two pump considerations are as follows:

Jebao DC-3000:

http://www.jebaopumps.com/dc3000-lv-speed-controllable-with-automatic-power-off-protection-dc-pump/

Devil/Diablo D3000 or D4000:

http://www.marine-sources.com/product-detail/devil-d4000/

I figure a pump of this capacity will have enough grunt to provide my drain with full siphon (about 400-500GPH) and also run my two media reactors. I am kinda leaning towards the Jebao pump being DC and controllable, I just need to find out a little more info on what pre-set speed settings exist (i.e it may only be controllable from 50% to 100% speed), I also need to measure both options so see if they fit in my return chamber.

*EDIT*

I also plan on using two of these:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/coral-reef-turbo-wave.html

One for each return nozzle, I have also considered replacing my twin nozzle system with a single nozzle but like the flow possibilities.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts, out of those two pumps which would you pick and why? I have also looked at the Tunze and Eheim pumps but the price scares me lol.

I actually need to frag some more out lol. I have about 10 frags already in my sump, will probably get 10 more once I prune.

I hope the improvements are for the better Gena, I want to spent less time with my arms in the tank and more times enjoying it haha.

Mandy sure has grown a lot, I barely recognized it when I got back from my trip. I feed the lobster eggs twice a week (half a cube twice weekly) and Mandy sure does love them, the zoas do to and even the Blenny catches them from the water collumn. Mandy also gorges on frozen mysis daily and constantly grazes on the rocks, sand, glass aaaaand the zoas lol. I'd like to think its getting enough food. Congrats on getting your mandy to to make the move to frozen. Its a massive load off my mind knowing that I don't have to worry if it is eating or now.

P.S, I have a picture for you Gena, a picture from London. I'll make sure to post it once I finish going through everything ;).

:happydance: can't wait to see the photo!

Yeah...such a relief when they start eating prepared foods. I can tell yours is very well fed :).

I had to come check your tank out and I'm glad I did. It looks super. I love the zoas. That Mandy is too sweet. So much change!

I had to come check your tank out and I'm glad I did. It looks super. I love the zoas. That Mandy is too sweet. So much change!

Thanks for stopping by :D. Yes, big changes over the last few months but more to come. I need to get the tank back on track, I miss not having SPS in here.

Thanks for stopping by :D. Yes, big changes over the last few months but more to come. I need to get the tank back on track, I miss not having SPS in here.

I somehow missed the updates on your tank and did not realize everything it's been through. Those sort of changes and problems can really be discouraging but it looks like your perseverance has paid off and you have turned the corner. Kudos to you for not giving up. I will look forward to seeing new additions when the tank is ready!

I somehow missed the updates on your tank and did not realize everything it's been through. Those sort of changes and problems can really be discouraging but it looks like your perseverance has paid off and you have turned the corner. Kudos to you for not giving up. I will look forward to seeing new additions when the tank is ready!

The tank sure has been through a lot and your right, it has been discouraging and there have been times where I have wanted to drain the entire thing and start again. But I do believe that all of the things I have overcome have made me a better reefer. I can't wait until the tank is back to full health so I can start adding some new goodies ;).

• 3 weeks later...
RollaJase

I think I have finally found what is causing my algae outbreaks. A rookie mistake I might add, it has to be my water. As some of you may know, I don't use RODI water in my tank, I use good ol' rain water. Our rain water is very pure, being triple filtered before coming to the house. Whenever I test the TDS of my water it is typically about 11-12TDS which in my mind isn't anything too serious. On a whim I decided to test it again before my water change last week, TDS of 80. Being a cement water tank (very porous) and the fact that we have had very late winter rains and a try summer I think the bacteria must be building up in the tank (we usually flush the tanks before winter to collect fresh rain). Looks like I might need to invest in a RODI unit. I can get a 5 stage for roughly $200AUD which isn't bad.

My reactor pump died a couple of weeks ago so I have had no carbon or Phosphate remover on this tank since then. I really need to sort out this return pump upgrade soon, I guess I should pull my finger out.

In other news, my birthday was at the start of April so I ordered myself a few presents :D.

L5zkCm.jpg
SB9d6i.jpg

Not reef related but I love them all the same.

eitallent

I just went through a total filter/ RODI membrane refresh. I have noticed a lot less algae growth. You are probably on the right track with the TDS removal.

Whoa! Those are some nice B-day gifts! Snazzy. :)

RollaJase

I just went through a total filter/ RODI membrane refresh. I have noticed a lot less algae growth. You are probably on the right track with the TDS removal.

Whoa! Those are some nice B-day gifts! Snazzy. :)

Yeah, as much as I don't want to spend the money (I have 4 exams to sit by June 30) I guess I'll have to. Dad works in the irrigation industry so I'm going to have a chat to him about it. The gifts I have been putting off for a while now but a birthday is a perfect excuse to splurge a little :D.

Hey love your tank, have you got anymore info on the cover for your vortech?

Thank you :). The MP10 shield I ordered from PicO Aquariums.

http://www.picoaquariums.com/pico-accessories/29-pico-vortech-shallow-shield-clear.html

Chris at PicO was great with helping organise international freight (I see you are in London).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived