Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

60K Oz for a mustang? ouch! They're a great deal here for only about 25K USD (~29K Oz Dollars) if you like mustangs. Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of the look, and the view out of them is horrible and they're a mustang which is a detractor, screams too much "I'm a 16 girl and daddy bought me a car!" for my tastes, though I'm sure you don't get that stigma in Oz. That being said, it's a hell of a lot of car for the money, and they handle and drive very nice.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I installed my old Tunze 6015 under my overflow box pointing up through the gap between the overflow and the pillar in a hope of coaxing extra turbulence at the top of the pillar for SPS and to create more flow to the left of the pillar. The MP10 does its job at creating flow but IMO the spread of the Tunze is better and not to mention quieter then the MP10. I will probably look at purchasing a second MP10 and shoot them directly into each other from across the tank to make large turbulence at the surface while keeping the lower parts of the tank suitable for LPS and softies. Although I have become interested in the Jabao RW series powerheads lately, I might ditch the MP10 all together. I also mounted those two SPS pieces on the pillar and set my light to coral acclimation mode for 15 days with a 20% reduction of light. I have used this method before with good results.

After my trip I'll also be in the market for a new return pump and I'm open for suggestions. I have a 3/4" drain with another 3/4" backup. My current return pump doesn't have enough flow to create a full siphon on the drain and as a result I have had to dial the pump right back to make the noise bearable. I'm using 1/2" PVC for the return line and the pump has roughly 3 feet of head to contend with. I'm also wanting to be able to run my pair of reactors off of this return pump to eliminate a pump in my cramped sump.

So what return pump recommendations do people have for my requirements. I was thinking of something at roughly the 2500LPH range (660GPH). My current return pump is 1100LPH and my reactor pump is 600LPH (reactor pump is throttled 50%). I'm open to DC options also as I like the control and may be able to justify the cost.

As for a pump, I'll think you'll be hard pressed to beat the reliability/noise of an Eheim. I'm very happy with my 1250 right now, and if you're looking to up the output, I'd take a look at the 1260 model that outputs 635gph (2400lph). Uses a 1/2" ret line as well. If you're worried about controlling the amount output, you can try what I did - put a T-fitting on the return line with a ball valve attached on a line returning to the sump...that way you can way you can turn it down if you find it's too much. I personally have never had to use it, but it's definitely better to reduce the output on that side than limiting the overflow side. As an added bonus, I can remove a lot of water from my sump in a hurry...potentially useful for water changes. ;)

What is that blue acro in your last picture dump?

To be honest Kat, I couldn't tell you. All I know about both of those SPS frags are that they both came from Rod the Reefer's tank. I know that the green frag is a type of plating/branching monti, the blue piece I'm not sure on.

60K Oz for a mustang? ouch! They're a great deal here for only about 25K USD (~29K Oz Dollars) if you like mustangs. Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of the look, and the view out of them is horrible and they're a mustang which is a detractor, screams too much "I'm a 16 girl and daddy bought me a car!" for my tastes, though I'm sure you don't get that stigma in Oz. That being said, it's a hell of a lot of car for the money, and they handle and drive very nice.

Yeah definitely wont be cheap, then again our cars are quite expensive here due to additional tarrifs and luxury car taxes. For example, my GT86 cost me $40k here, the FR-S in the states is about $25k right? Puts it right in the good bang for buck segment for you guys but over here it is more of a luxury car and incurs higher tax. I am a fan of the new look Mustang, it's nice to see a fresh look after so many years. Then again I am also one of the few who really likes the look of the new WRX so take that with a pinch of salt haha. The Mustang over here will essentially replace our Ford FPV range (Ford Performance Vehicle) which I guess you could loosely relate to the Shelby lineup over there. Basically souped up versions of the standard road car. With the Ford Fusion being the new family sedan they need something sporty wit ha big V8 to fill that void.

I plugged my pump in and it pumped water and it was good. Stop it you all with all the damn valves and crap. :D

I wish I had it that easy Mark haha :D.

As for a pump, I'll think you'll be hard pressed to beat the reliability/noise of an Eheim. I'm very happy with my 1250 right now, and if you're looking to up the output, I'd take a look at the 1260 model that outputs 635gph (2400lph). Uses a 1/2" ret line as well. If you're worried about controlling the amount output, you can try what I did - put a T-fitting on the return line with a ball valve attached on a line returning to the sump...that way you can way you can turn it down if you find it's too much. I personally have never had to use it, but it's definitely better to reduce the output on that side than limiting the overflow side. As an added bonus, I can remove a lot of water from my sump in a hurry...potentially useful for water changes. ;)

I like that idea, cheers dude. The 1260 is on my list to look at and due to the reputation (and from experience) Eheim is one of the brands I really trust. At the moment the Eheim and Tunze offerings look the best to me, most DC pumps don't flow below 5000LPH so its not worth me looking at that option.

Honestly, despite the relative cheap cost of cars here in the States...the only new cars I like are the FRS/BRZ and the new WRX (I'd love to have either/both). Other than that...I also like 4x4 SUVs/small trucks (4Runner, etc) and y'all have us beat there too with all the awesome rugged diesel options (J80, 4Runner, Hilux, Patrol, Defender, etc). Most of the offerings here are just unibody people movers or glorified mall crawlers... <_<

Don't get me wrong, I love V8s....I just wouldn't consider a Mustang over other options at that price range. I liked the way the Aussies did it with V8/Turbo I6 powered sedans and such...can't really get a decent offering like that here (especially not with a proper manual gearbox). I'd love to build a LSX powered FD one day...or hell, even a LSX powered 86! B)

Honestly, despite the relative cheap cost of cars here in the States...the only new cars I like are the FRS/BRZ and the new WRX (I'd love to have either/both). Other than that...I also like 4x4 SUVs/small trucks (4Runner, etc) and y'all have us beat there too with all the awesome rugged diesel options (J80, 4Runner, Hilux, Patrol, Defender, etc). Most of the offerings here are just unibody people movers or glorified mall crawlers... <_<

Don't get me wrong, I love V8s....I just wouldn't consider a Mustang over other options at that price range. I liked the way the Aussies did it with V8/Turbo I6 powered sedans and such...can't really get a decent offering like that here (especially not with a proper manual gearbox). I'd love to build a LSX powered FD one day...or hell, even a LSX powered 86! B)

I do like a good 4X4 but the interest for me to own one isn't there, not with how hard it is to make one decent for offroad over here. You basically touch your car any way over here and have the cops breathing down your neck. Any lift higher than 2" over here needs to be engineered and cleared otherwise the cops can defect your car and insurance wont insure you. I mean, what's the point of having a 4X4 if you can't jack it up and stick big mud tires on it right? ;). We may have some nice 4X4's to choose from but one that we have always envied you lot about is the Tundra, a truck we will be seeing very shortly.

Nothing beats the sound of a V8 but I'm more of a smaller displacement turbo guy myself. Drag racing is nowhere near as big here as it is there so pulling awesome 1/4" miles isn't too impressive when your car can't go around a corner. The Ford XR6 turbo sedan and ute are monsters. It leaves their v8 counterparts for dead and are a seriously dangerous car. My cousin had an XR6 Turbo as a car for a weekend when he was looking to buy one, needless to say we had to replace the rear tires by the end of the first day haha. a LSX powered FD has been one of my dream builds for a long time, more recently I am liking the sounds of a 2JZ swap in my 86 though. There is a local group called StreetFX who have a twin-charged 86 and ran it in our Modball rally this year (equivalent of your Gumball rally). This is an insane conversion, 600hp at the wheels, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WXVLqHRnA

If you're still looking for return pump suggestions… I'd say try the Sicce 2.5. That's the pump I'm using for my 35G reef. You could also try the 2.0 which I used on my 20G for two years with no complaints.

I do like a good 4X4 but the interest for me to own one isn't there, not with how hard it is to make one decent for offroad over here. You basically touch your car any way over here and have the cops breathing down your neck. Any lift higher than 2" over here needs to be engineered and cleared otherwise the cops can defect your car and insurance wont insure you. I mean, what's the point of having a 4X4 if you can't jack it up and stick big mud tires on it right? ;). We may have some nice 4X4's to choose from but one that we have always envied you lot about is the Tundra, a truck we will be seeing very shortly.

Nothing beats the sound of a V8 but I'm more of a smaller displacement turbo guy myself. Drag racing is nowhere near as big here as it is there so pulling awesome 1/4" miles isn't too impressive when your car can't go around a corner. The Ford XR6 turbo sedan and ute are monsters. It leaves their v8 counterparts for dead and are a seriously dangerous car. My cousin had an XR6 Turbo as a car for a weekend when he was looking to buy one, needless to say we had to replace the rear tires by the end of the first day haha. a LSX powered FD has been one of my dream builds for a long time, more recently I am liking the sounds of a 2JZ swap in my 86 though. There is a local group called StreetFX who have a twin-charged 86 and ran it in our Modball rally this year (equivalent of your Gumball rally). This is an insane conversion, 600hp at the wheels, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WXVLqHRnA

I had no idea the restrictions were so bad there...I guess all the pics I see of 4x4s there are likely illegal or they're owned by farmers or something.

Yeah...the Tundra is built right here in Texas. ;) Check out the new 2015 Tundra TRD Pro. I might have one too (although they can get pretty pricey), but the fuel cost is incredible (even despite our cheap cost of fuel)...my buddy with the BRZ actually sold his Tundra to get the BRZ...he was sick of paying for gas. :haha:If only they made a V8 diesel...

I do like smaller displacement turbocharged engines, but I just love the V8 sound. That and...well, there is no replacement for displacement. :naughtydance: I absolutely LOVE utes too...I'd might have one now if they were imported here. I do love the Falcons...but once you start slappin' the turbochargers on the LSXs....look out! omgomgomg As much as I love the 2JZ...I still favor the LSX myself. It's just so versatile!

That 86 is pretty nuts! :eek: Check this one out too:

WGP-Subaru-BRZ-2.jpg

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-features/weapons-grade-performances-v8-swapped-subaru-brz06/

Tell me you're not drooling over the looks of that! :bling:

I had no idea the restrictions were so bad there...I guess all the pics I see of 4x4s there are likely illegal or they're owned by farmers or something.

Yeah...the Tundra is built right here in Texas. ;) Check out the new 2015 Tundra TRD Pro. I might have one too (although they can get pretty pricey), but the fuel cost is incredible (even despite our cheap cost of fuel)...my buddy with the BRZ actually sold his Tundra to get the BRZ...he was sick of paying for gas. :haha:If only they made a V8 diesel...

I do like smaller displacement turbocharged engines, but I just love the V8 sound. That and...well, there is no replacement for displacement. :naughtydance: I absolutely LOVE utes too...I'd might have one now if they were imported here. I do love the Falcons...but once you start slappin' the turbochargers on the LSXs....look out! omgomgomg As much as I love the 2JZ...I still favor the LSX myself. It's just so versatile!

That 86 is pretty nuts! :eek: Check this one out too:

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-features/weapons-grade-performances-v8-swapped-subaru-brz06/

Tell me you're not drooling over the looks of that! :bling:

Some people put a lot of money into their 4X4's over here but yeah, the majority would be illegal. My friend just did a 3" lift on his Land Cruiser 75 series wagon, that thing is massive now but definitely illegal haha.

I had no idea the Tundra was made in Texas, I though they came out of Japan. That TRD Pro is a pretty crazy machine, I love that orange colour! The Tundra has been available here for a while as a diesel mule for the mines, not licensed for standard road use. I saw one of the few demo ones going around when I was last at my dealer, the thing is fricken huge, makes the Hilux look like a corolla. The model we get will have to have the V8 diesel option, there is no point not having a diesel motor on something that big. Not to say the Toyota V8 is slow, the twin turbo V8 Diesel Toyota have in the Land Cruiser can give our domestic LS V8 sedans a run for their money.

The V8 swap in the BRZ is crazy, barely fits in there. I think the first V8 swap I saw in one for a drift project out of Japan, they took the V8 out of a Lexus IS-F and converted it to ITB intake, thing sounded insane. My only concern with a V8 swap is how out of balance it would make the car (besides the cost of course). All that extra weight over the front axle would definitely impact on the handling.

Some people put a lot of money into their 4X4's over here but yeah, the majority would be illegal. My friend just did a 3" lift on his Land Cruiser 75 series wagon, that thing is massive now but definitely illegal haha.

I had no idea the Tundra was made in Texas, I though they came out of Japan. That TRD Pro is a pretty crazy machine, I love that orange colour! The Tundra has been available here for a while as a diesel mule for the mines, not licensed for standard road use. I saw one of the few demo ones going around when I was last at my dealer, the thing is fricken huge, makes the Hilux look like a corolla. The model we get will have to have the V8 diesel option, there is no point not having a diesel motor on something that big. Not to say the Toyota V8 is slow, the twin turbo V8 Diesel Toyota have in the Land Cruiser can give our domestic LS V8 sedans a run for their money.

The V8 swap in the BRZ is crazy, barely fits in there. I think the first V8 swap I saw in one for a drift project out of Japan, they took the V8 out of a Lexus IS-F and converted it to ITB intake, thing sounded insane. My only concern with a V8 swap is how out of balance it would make the car (besides the cost of course). All that extra weight over the front axle would definitely impact on the handling.

Yeah, the states are a bit retarded when it comes to diesels...people still think of smoke stacks when they think diesels...dirty and noisy. It's a shame...diesels are awesome! They are absolutely fantastic in 4x4s as well. The 5.7L V8 in the Tundra is nice...but I'd pick a diesel anyday over it.

You'd think that....and that's the same thing people thought with the LSX FD swaps (differences is 40, maybe 50 lbs or so). Truth be told...LSXs are all aluminum and quite compact....you can tuck it pretty far back in an engine bay. In fact, a LSX weighs less than a 2JZ...and it makes sense. Aluminum vs iron block. ;)

You guys are probably gonna flame me for this being Toyota junkies, but why no talk about the Hyundai Genesis 2.0T. I love mine! Great small displacement turbo car with a lot of potential room to grow. It may not be Japanese, but it is Korean, so I am guessing you should be able to get them relatively easy on your side of the pond.

If you're still looking for return pump suggestions… I'd say try the Sicce 2.5. That's the pump I'm using for my 35G reef. You could also try the 2.0 which I used on my 20G for two years with no complaints.

Missed this one amongst all the car talk. The Sicce 2.5 is another option I am considering as well. It is a cheaper option to the Eheim 1260 which is a $250 pump here.

Yeah, the states are a bit retarded when it comes to diesels...people still think of smoke stacks when they think diesels...dirty and noisy. It's a shame...diesels are awesome! They are absolutely fantastic in 4x4s as well. The 5.7L V8 in the Tundra is nice...but I'd pick a diesel anyday over it.

You'd think that....and that's the same thing people thought with the LSX FD swaps (differences is 40, maybe 50 lbs or so). Truth be told...LSXs are all aluminum and quite compact....you can tuck it pretty far back in an engine bay. In fact, a LSX weighs less than a 2JZ...and it makes sense. Aluminum vs iron block. ;)

The funny thing is, most videos we see from the states are big diesels with 5" exhausts blowing smoke everywhere haha. I guess your right, the all alloy block would make a big difference over the older engine options. More cubes in a similar physical size with less weight, that's always going to be a win.

You guys are probably gonna flame me for this being Toyota junkies, but why no talk about the Hyundai Genesis 2.0T. I love mine! Great small displacement turbo car with a lot of potential room to grow. It may not be Japanese, but it is Korean, so I am guessing you should be able to get them relatively easy on your side of the pond.

I am a fan of the Genesis, have been for a few years now. I'm not against Hyundai at all, I owned an i30 before buying my 86. Was a great little car, good bang for buck but kinda girly and the 1.8L petrol engine was lame haha. Unfortunately the Genesis line is not available in Australia but there is talk of it coming in next year now that there is a big void in our market when it comes to affordable sedans.

Missed this one amongst all the car talk. The Sicce 2.5 is another option I am considering as well. It is a cheaper option to the Eheim 1260 which is a $250 pump here.

The funny thing is, most videos we see from the states are big diesels with 5" exhausts blowing smoke everywhere haha. I guess your right, the all alloy block would make a big difference over the older engine options. More cubes in a similar physical size with less weight, that's always going to be a win.

I am a fan of the Genesis, have been for a few years now. I'm not against Hyundai at all, I owned an i30 before buying my 86. Was a great little car, good bang for buck but kinda girly and the 1.8L petrol engine was lame haha. Unfortunately the Genesis line is not available in Australia but there is talk of it coming in next year now that there is a big void in our market when it comes to affordable sedans.

That's a shame...I picked my 1250 up for under $80 USD and it looks like the 1260 is under $150 USD. ;)

Yeah...blame our rednecks for the "coal rollin" in their trucks... :lol: Though I'm sure the bogans there would do the same if they had the chance.

The Genesis is fine...just a bit big/heavy for my personal tastes. The steering feel, handling, etc just doesn't feel right to me. It's also 29K for the "R-spec" model you'd want...not cheap. They dropped the 2.0T for 2015 as well....I think they're focusing on making it a mustang/camaro V6 competitor. <_< Add a nice V8 and I'd be more interested... ;)

That's a shame...I picked my 1250 up for under $80 USD and it looks like the 1260 is under $150 USD. ;)

Yeah...blame our rednecks for the "coal rollin" in their trucks... :lol: Though I'm sure the bogans there would do the same if they had the chance.

The Genesis is fine...just a bit big/heavy for my personal tastes. The steering feel, handling, etc just doesn't feel right to me. It's also 29K for the "R-spec" model you'd want...not cheap. They dropped the 2.0T for 2015 as well....I think they're focusing on making it a mustang/camaro V6 competitor. <_< Add a nice V8 and I'd be more interested... ;)

We may have a good selection of reasonably priced corals over here but we do get reamed for our equipment costs. MP10ES are about $330 each, Radion Pro G3's are touching $800. Makes it really hard to justify getting into SW over FW but IMO it is well worth the effort and outlay.

Oh believe me, most of us would definitely have huge exhausts on our diesels if we could, then again the displacement on most of our diesels aren't large enough to warrant anything over 3" unless you up the boost. By law we have to keep the charcoal cylinder intact as well which cuts back on the smoke a lot and decreases the efficiency significantly.

Rumor is the Genesis over here will be sporting a V8 and will only be available in the coupe which would make it mighty tempting. The 2015 model looks really good as well IMO. I can't comment on the driving feel but if it ever makes it here I will probably take a demo for a spin haha.

Wow, I had no idea they dropped the turbo for 2015 on the Genesis. That's a shame. I have some friends with the 3.8 and they love it, but I absolutely love the kick of driving the turbo. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it is a blast to drive. I cannot even imagine driving that car with a V8 in it, but then again, I have not really driven anything faster than my current 2.0T. Now, a turbo v6 would be interesting, and I am surprised they are not going in that direction.

The weight of the car has always been the biggest pitfall, but I personally don't mind it. The steering feel/handeling feel nice and crisp to me, but again I don't have a lot of experience with sports cars to compare to. Definitely take it for a spin if you get a chance.

Wow, I had no idea they dropped the turbo for 2015 on the Genesis. That's a shame. I have some friends with the 3.8 and they love it, but I absolutely love the kick of driving the turbo. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it is a blast to drive. I cannot even imagine driving that car with a V8 in it, but then again, I have not really driven anything faster than my current 2.0T. Now, a turbo v6 would be interesting, and I am surprised they are not going in that direction.

The weight of the car has always been the biggest pitfall, but I personally don't mind it. The steering feel/handeling feel nice and crisp to me, but again I don't have a lot of experience with sports cars to compare to. Definitely take it for a spin if you get a chance.

Yeah, I always feel the weight of it is one thing that holds it back...but then again, like I said, they likely don't care since it's meant to compete with the Mustangs and Camaros of the world.

You need to drive a V8...I think your mind will change. ;)

As for steering feel/handling...don't take it as a personal insult, it might be that I am spoiled. Take a 86 (old or new), Miata, S2000, RX-7/RX-8, any number of BMWs, 911, Or a Lotus Elise out for a spin to get a better picture. :)

1987 Acura (Honda) Integra. 7500 RPM redline, only 4 cylinders but damn fun to drive. I was in my 20's so stupid (sorry :D ) and I sold it for a 1990 Integra which was a giant heavy slug.

Now I drive a cheap Kia Forte. Priorities adjusted.

I don't know what I'm looking at but I like it! Engine pictures do make me drool.

Large, pretty engine - small car. Glad you could appreciate it! B)

It's a shame they dropped the turbo but I am interested in seeing what the V8 is like. I love the kick of boost myself as well but the sound of an unrestricted V8 is to die for. Weight isn't a big issue for me if it is paired with decent brakes and geared towards under-steer but if the power doesn't match the weight it can be a chore to drive something hard if your that way inclined. I will definitely be looking at taking one for a drive if they make their way to Australia next year.

Yeah, I always feel the weight of it is one thing that holds it back...but then again, like I said, they likely don't care since it's meant to compete with the Mustangs and Camaros of the world.

You need to drive a V8...I think your mind will change. ;)

As for steering feel/handling...don't take it as a personal insult, it might be that I am spoiled. Take a 86 (old or new), Miata, S2000, RX-7/RX-8, any number of BMWs, 911, Or a Lotus Elise out for a spin to get a better picture. :)

I wasn't sold on the electric steering system on the 86 when I heard about it initially but after using it it does the job quite well. I miss the feel you get from a mechanical rack but the electronic precision is fantastic. I was kinda disappointed that Porsche ended up going down this route with their current range, that mechanical feel is what made them so much of a driver's car. That's an argument for another time though.

1987 Acura (Honda) Integra. 7500 RPM redline, only 4 cylinders but damn fun to drive. I was in my 20's so stupid (sorry :D ) and I sold it for a 1990 Integra which was a giant heavy slug.

Now I drive a cheap Kia Forte. Priorities adjusted.

I like some Hondas, not all but some of them. Been more of a Civic fan (EG and EK) over the Integra but I still appreciate the engineering of the Type R. My Aunty has a Type R Integrea that's as old as I am, she purchased it the year I was born and has used it as her daily for 23 years now.

I don't know what I'm looking at but I like it! Engine pictures do make me drool.

Large, pretty engine - small car. Glad you could appreciate it! B)

Big power in a light car is always fun. I love seeing a good engine conversion, particularly outside of the manufacturers family. A lot of people frown on this but I love the creativity. The F20C in an AE86 is a conversion I particularly like.

Are you still running the same lighting schedule and percentages listed in the first few pages? We have very similar schedules.

My most recent light cycle is as follows:

8am-9am, 20min ramp = W 0, B 6, RB 12

9am-1pm, 1hr ramp = W55, B 75, RB 80

1pm-3pm, 30min ramp = W 65, B 85, RB 90

3pm-7pm, 1hr ramp = W 55, B 75, RB 80

7pm-8pm, 20min ramp = W 0, B 6, RB 12

8pm-10pm, 20min ramp = W 0, B 1, RB 2

10pm onwards, 5min ramp = W 0, B 0, RB 0

As it sits currently I have dialled it back just a tad as all my SPS got moved much closer to the surface of the water. I still have some messing around to do with the intensity but everything seems pretty happy at the moment.

S2000 is one of the best handling/feeling cars I think that's ever been made. If that was the only reason I bought cars, I would have bought an AP2 for sure. I think my wife's purse is bigger than the trunk and that high reving engine is fun to drive when driving spirited, but every day it can get old not having any torque. I still toy with the idea of picking up a low milage used AP2 for ~10K. Might if I ever saw one where the price & milage was right.

I love the S2000 as well, not as a soft top though, must be a hard top. Its a damn shame that a 6'4" male can not physically fit in one though. I have never been so uncomfortable in a car as I was as a passenger in an S2000. The price of them over here is still really high as well. A low mileage mint specimen is still mid 30K, they were about 70k new. If I could find one for 10K I would make a track monster out of it haha.

I love the S2000 as well, not as a soft top though, must be a hard top. Its a damn shame that a 6'4" male can not physically fit in one though. I have never been so uncomfortable in a car as I was as a passenger in an S2000. The price of them over here is still really high as well. A low mileage mint specimen is still mid 30K, they were about 70k new. If I could find one for 10K I would make a track monster out of it haha.

Good ones are 13-18 depending on how old, and yeah getting a hard top that comes with it is hard!

Archived