Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AC70

kristincm

TeflonTomDosh

I noticed that almost everyone with a picotope has the ac70 filter. I want to upgrade my filter at some point & this is one of the filters I want to look into. Please post your review on it, tell me why you do or don't like it & a lil about the ffilter.

I see you did your due diligence in searching for reviews of this filter before posting here.

Here are 440 that you missed.

http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B000260FUW

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see you did your due diligence in searching for reviews of this filter before posting here.

Here are 440 that you missed.

http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B000260FUW

Your a lil late should've wrote that as your first comment instead smart ass, find something else to do with your time instead of leaving multiple unnecessary comments on all of my threads, then getting bored & come back to leave more. It's starting to get pretty annoying :)

I have one on my 20l mantis tank. Never had a problem with it other than every once in a while the cover vibrates and sounds like a damn train coming through the living room

I have one on my 20l mantis tank. Never had a problem with it other than every once in a while the cover vibrates and sounds like a damn train coming through the living room

There's lots of complaints about noise which is kind of making me second guess it since the tank is in my room. The filter I have now I can't hear at all which is nice.

What about an AC20? That flow on the 70 is going to be crazy plus your going to need that part of the 20 to slow the flow down. Why don't people just use the ac20?

What about an AC20? That flow on the 70 is going to be crazy plus your going to need that part of the 20 to slow the flow down. Why don't people just use the ac20?

Interested in the responses to this, good question

Water volume, size of compartment, better to have something too big and be able to slow it down than something too small that will not work.

Water volume, size of compartment, better to have something too big and be able to slow it down than something too small that will not work.

It is a lot bigger I was just watching videos of both of them

Get the AC70. End of thread. Tom won't hurt your feelings anymore if you would just listen. It's a $40 filter for a 3 gallon tank, not a huge risk! Unless your gonna drill it, there's no better option.

If your expecting your filtration choice to be the difference maker in your pico being like el fab's or the 75 others I've seen pop up and disappear quickly after, your already worrying about the wrong things too much.

Now toughen up and start searching for reviews on whether walmarts polyfil is better than AC Moore's!

• Like 2

Get the AC70. End of thread. Tom won't hurt your feelings anymore if you would just listen. It's a $40 filter for a 3 gallon tank, not a huge risk! Unless your gonna drill it, there's no better option.

If your expecting your filtration choice to be the difference maker in your pico being like el fab's or the 75 others I've seen pop up and disappear quickly after, your already worrying about the wrong things too much.

Now toughen up and start searching for reviews on whether walmarts polyfil is better than AC Moore's!

He has never hurt my feelings he's just annoying. I'm not worrying too much about it either I posted a question because I know I should have a better filter, don't really think its wrong to look into one.

What about a nano canister filter? Just wondering but yes yes get the 70.

I've already decided on getting it before lol not sure about doing the fuge thing or not yet though

AC Moore all the way!!!

Look now I don't have to research!

after you drop the AC20 impeller into the AC70, its a lot tamer....

you go AC70 vs a smaller one for sheer volume. you can stash stuff in it, grow in it....

The AC70 is heads and tails better than the micro sized AC20. The only issue with the AC70 is the high flow rate in the 10G tank. On a 20L at it's highest setting it is a lot of flow(300 gph). On the low setting you are still looking at a lot of flow but still good usable flow for the 10G tank. In my experience the AC70 is the way to go for you. While bigger is not always better in this case go with the bigger unit and if the flow is to much you can always cut it back vs. going with the AC20/50 and it not being enough. Just for reference the AC20 fits into the media area on the AC70!!!

The AC70 is heads and tails better than the micro sized AC20. The only issue with the AC70 is the high flow rate in the 10G tank. On a 20L at it's highest setting it is a lot of flow(300 gph). On the low setting you are still looking at a lot of flow but still good usable flow for the 10G tank. In my experience the AC70 is the way to go for you. While bigger is not always better in this case go with the bigger unit and if the flow is to much you can always cut it back vs. going with the AC20/50 and it not being enough. Just for reference the AC20 fits into the media area on the AC70!!!

i dont know how many times im gonna have to say this.....AC20-AC70 you can interchange the impellers. when you drop an AC20 impeller in there it slows down the flow to manageable levels.

if you were dishonest, you could buy an AC20 swap out the impeller with the one from your AC70 then return it to petco....but i dont advocate that......but its a way to get free impeller. they arnt a high dollar item, but some stores dont carry them.

im against impeller trimming as it throws the filter off balance and can make it noisy

And that is where you will make a mistake.

Lol I was joking ;)

Cool so I'm going to he it for both tanks then but will only have to slow the flow (by modding) for the one going on my pico

i dont know how many times im gonna have to say this.....AC20-AC70 you can interchange the impellers. when you drop an AC20 impeller in there it slows down the flow to manageable levels.

if you were dishonest, you could buy an AC20 swap out the impeller with the one from your AC70 then return it to petco....but i dont advocate that......but its a way to get free impeller. they arnt a high dollar item, but some stores dont carry them.

im against impeller trimming as it throws the filter off balance and can make it noisy

I never implied that you could not interchange the impellers nor did I advocate trimming down the stock unit.

TeflonTomDosh

Interested in the responses to this, good question

I actually have an ac20 that's been modded that I never use. 20 shipped & its yours.

Thanks! Didn't look into the shipping price but would def be the cheapest way to go!

I actually have an ac20 that's been modded that I never use. 20 shipped & its yours.
They have it at petsmart a lil cheaper lol didnt see the 70 there though, ill have to try amazon for that one. But thanks!

Shipping for the piece is about $6 so it will come out to about $15-16, think it might be easier to just pick up the ac20 from petsmart

I definitely plan on getting one. How do I turn it into a fuge??
Check this out! Just found this website tonight. http://www.badfishreefsystems.com/aquaclear_media_racks_7.html#

I have an AC70 on my 20g long and even turned down it throws out a bit too much flow imo. I have the newest one though, the Fluval one.
Check these out too for your 20L. http://www.badfishreefsystems.com/all_in_one_kits_5.htmlI think it's awesome. Wish I would have seen this before I started my 12 JBJ

Screw changing the impellers. Just clip the plastic tab, and/or clip a fin or two. There are lots of post about how to reduce the flow on the AC70 (or hell, the AC110 for that matter) that don't involve spending any money. If you want to buy an AC20 impeller, fine no big deal it's your money, I don't care. But there's no reason you need to.

• Like 1

Archived