Pod Your Reef

AC70

kristincm

I noticed that almost everyone with a picotope has the ac70 filter. I want to upgrade my filter at some point & this is one of the filters I want to look into. Please post your review on it, tell me why you do or don't like it & a lil about the ffilter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its really easy to turn into a refugium. I think that's why every one has them.

Is it better to do that or to just have a reguler filter?

ac70 is much better than a regular filter. It has the largest amount of space to hold filter floss and then turn the rest into a fuge or a place to hold purigen or chemipure. I would recommend it for aquariums up to 10gallons. After that the AC110.

ac70 is much better than a regular filter. It has the largest amount of space to hold filter floss and then turn the rest into a fuge or a place to hold purigen or chemipure. I would recommend it for aquariums up to 10gallons. After that the AC110.

I definitely plan on getting one. How do I turn it into a fuge??

you can tune the flow on it by swapping impellers with a smaller model. it feels "beefier" than some filters and they run almost for forever. ive had some run 5 years before i retired them.

hob filters are basically all the same, the AC is a simpler, robust straight forward design.

you can mod any hob.

Thanks!

Just realized u sent me the link I was about to go read lol I thought I saw ssomething in there about it

you can tune the flow on it by swapping impellers with a smaller model. it feels "beefier" than some filters and they run almost for forever. ive had some run 5 years before i retired them. hob filters are basically all the same, the AC is a simpler, robust straight forward design. you can mod any hob.
Awesome!
Decided to get the ac70 for sure. Now whether or not to turn it into a fuge?? Made a new thread on that specifically please post your opinions on it :) thanks

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/319164-pros-cons-of-turning-ac70-into-a-fuge/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/319164-pros-cons-of-turning-ac70-into-a-fuge/

You can change thread titles to avoid multiple threads on the same topic. Especially topics that have been talked about a ton. Search is your friend! It is a little tougher to use than before site update, but with patience and persistence, it's fine.

Make the fuge or don't. Up to you! If you don't, you can add water volume and space for carbon/purigen/filter floss (The fuge can do this too, just depends on how you size everything). On that small of tank the chaeto will probably help. On a larger tank the small amount of chaeto has less nutrient pulling effect I would think... Experiment! Half the fun is figuring stuff out that works for you.

• Like 2
TeflonTomDosh

You can change thread titles to avoid multiple threads on the same topic.

Oh, you go and say this just when I was going to suggest she make a thread on pros of the ac70 and then another thread on the cons of the ac70.

• Like 2
Oh, you go and say this just when I was going to suggest she make a thread on pros of the ac70 and then another thread on the cons of the ac70.

I was thinking the whole time while typing... "That Tom dude is gonna beat me to this" haha :)

• Like 2
You can change thread titles to avoid multiple threads on the same topic. Especially topics that have been talked about a ton. Search is your friend! It is a little tougher to use than before site update, but with patience and persistence, it's fine.

Make the fuge or don't. Up to you! If you don't, you can add water volume and space for carbon/purigen/filter floss (The fuge can do this too, just depends on how you size everything). On that small of tank the chaeto will probably help. On a larger tank the small amount of chaeto has less nutrient pulling effect I would think... Experiment! Half the fun is figuring stuff out that works for you.

Eh I've searched it but all I ever find is how to mod it. There's tons of those tthreads but none of them answered the questions I have really

Speaking as someone who had an AC70 fuge mod on a 10G, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The only way it could have been better is if I had gotten the AC110 for the same tank. Smaller, and I'd stay with the 70.

What were you thinking of doing to the AC?
Modding it and turning it into a fuge

Speaking as someone who had an AC70 fuge mod on a 10G, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The only way it could have been better is if I had gotten the AC110 for the same tank. Smaller, and I'd stay with the 70.
What did you out in yours? Some people just out chaeto and some people put a dsb , etc. Did u have any problems with it? And special maintenance?

Mine has filter floss, chemi pure elite, and then chaeto. I cut a fist sized of chaeto out every month. The combination helps keep my parameters extremely stable.

I change the floss once a week when I do a water change and shake the gunk/debris out of the chaeto and cpe and then suck it out of the back (all while filter is off). I also blacked out the AC cover with paint and cut a hole over the chaeto so the light wouldnt blast the rest of the fuge and bloom algae. I didn't black it out until later on and the intake has some serious coraline in it.

20121016_195430_zps20d54eee.jpg

Just a suggestion, dont glue down the part separating the filter floss and fuge/chaeto part. If you notch the front piece you will use as a grill just right, the piece will be able to slide in and out easily allowing for easy cleaning and maintenance.

• Like 1

Mine has filter floss, chemi pure elite, and then chaeto. I cut a fist sized of chaeto out every month. The combination helps keep my parameters extremely stable.

I change the floss once a week when I do a water change and shake the gunk/debris out of the chaeto and cpe and then suck it out of the back (all while filter is off). I also blacked out the AC cover with paint and cut a hole over the chaeto so the light wouldnt blast the rest of the fuge and bloom algae. I didn't black it out until later on and the intake has some serious coraline in it.

20121016_195430_zps20d54eee.jpg

Just a suggestion, dont glue down the part separating the filter floss and fuge/chaeto part. If you notch the front piece you will use as a grill just right, the piece will be able to slide in and out easily allowing for easy cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks!!!

Btw, What size tank are you putting this on?

3 gal picotope, I want to get something for my 10 gal also but I think someone recommended a different model for that one since its bigger

I have an AC70 on my 20g long and even turned down it throws out a bit too much flow imo. I have the newest one though, the Fluval one.

So do u have a power head since the filter gives a lot of flow? My husband loves the fluval ones he has it on his 160 freshwater

Modding it and turning it into a fuge

What did you out in yours? Some people just out chaeto and some people put a dsb , etc. Did u have any problems with it? And special maintenance?

Mine had cheato, and the poly filter for filtration, purigen, carbon, heater, and temp probe. Every couple of weeks I'd throw out a big ball of Cheato, about once every month or two when doing water changes (not every water change) I'd take it off and dump any detris that had accumulated.

I had no problems with it at all, it was easy to work with and a joy.

Thanks!!!

3 gal picotope, I want to get something for my 10 gal also but I think someone recommended a different model for that one since its bigger

So do u have a power head since the filter gives a lot of flow? My husband loves the fluval ones he has it on his 160 freshwater

I use the AC70 and a MP-10

Archived