Pod Your Reef

BoCoMo's 40G *Chock-full of zoa's!

BoCoMo

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings fellow Missourian, Your tank looks great. Im starting to really dig those razors also.

Nice to meet you! What part of MO are you in? I am in Columbia

Cool tank man. I'll be putting my 40b back into action this coming week hopefully. I took it down last year to replace the floor. Now that I have a floor again it's time to get crackin'.

The only thing I have to re-do is my sump. Today I ripped out all the baffles as I'm going to replace them with acrylic (I used glass spray painted black for my display fuge, but the paint started coming off after a year or so). That and I need to put a new plastic trim on the top. My sump is a 30b, but frankensteined from a few broken tanks.

I really like your rock! I have a bunch of smaller pieces and when I rescale I really want to get some huge ass rocks. I'll be following a similar plan in that I will be going mostly SOS this time around. I really want just one large show piece though, thinking some pinkbirdsnest. Maybe some type of euphyllia too.

Note that I'm not going fancy with doses and reactors though, insufficient funds!

• Like 1

Cool tank man. I'll be putting my 40b back into action this coming week hopefully. I took it down last year to replace the floor. Now that I have a floor again it's time to get crackin'.

The only thing I have to re-do is my sump. Today I ripped out all the baffles as I'm going to replace them with acrylic (I used glass spray painted black for my display fuge, but the paint started coming off after a year or so). That and I need to put a new plastic trim on the top. My sump is a 30b, but frankensteined from a few broken tanks.

I really like your rock! I have a bunch of smaller pieces and when I rescale I really want to get some huge ass rocks. I'll be following a similar plan in that I will be going mostly SOS this time around. I really want just one large show piece though, thinking some pinkbirdsnest. Maybe some type of euphyllia too.

Note that I'm not going fancy with doses and reactors though, insufficient funds!

Sounds like a great plan! Wonder if decal vinyl would be okay for use in the sump... if so you could use that to black out the baffles. Too bad you are not in MO because I still have some big rocks unused. It will be at least a year before I set up the 280 so I wouldn't need the rock now anyway. (I will probably re-setup my 6 before then and I already have the rock for it) I will be looking for your build thread when you start that 40 back up. I really like the dimensions of these tanks!

I thought about using vinyl decal, and honestly it probably would have fared much better, but alas I disassembled all of the baffles today and had to break one of them to get it out (forgot how well I put the baffles in! The fit across the tank was literally perfect. Hopefully I can replicate the same dimensions in black acrylic.

Since my sump is pretty large (30b) I'm pretty set on having a secondary display, which worked out really well the first time, though honestly I didn't do anything with it. But I'm pretty much stuck with having a secondary display since I have such an open stand.

I actually used to live in Kansas City, KS. Wasn't into reefing at that time though I did keep Cichlids.

I'll have to just keep my eye open for some nice rock. I'm planning to see if I can work out some sort of trade in with a local shop because I have some seriously awesome smaller pieces.

• Like 1

seems to be working OK. The GFO isn;t tumbling like I would expect so I will probably call them to see what they say. I am using BRS Rox Carbon & Purigen. I have ChemiPure running as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha! Sorry about that. I will upload some pics soon but I haven't really added anything. I just got back on Saturday (from Ecuador) so I guess a good update would be all the automation I set up went perfectly and my dad (who was kind enough to watch the tank and the house while we were gone) didn't have to do anything with the tank. Now that I am back I will be coral shopping; as soon as I get caught back up with work that is...

Ha! Sorry about that. I will upload some pics soon but I haven't really added anything. I just got back on Saturday (from Ecuador) so I guess a good update would be all the automation I set up went perfectly and my dad (who was kind enough to watch the tank and the house while we were gone) didn't have to do anything with the tank. Now that I am back I will be coral shopping; as soon as I get caught back up with work that is...

Welcome back, looking forward to seeing your progress soon :)

Tell us more about this witchcraft you call "automation" What is this black magic you speak of?

Nothing fancy yet (when I say fancy I am referring to the guys with probes and texted or emailed alerts with abilities to dose from phone or computer) just the simple things like ATO, timer on skimmer to turn off when timer on feeding and/or dosing goes, timer on the light (not that fancy either as it is built into the razor) for now that is all I have. Eventually I would like to have it all connected to a computer and monitored/controllable from my phone but for now all worked well and Dad just had to "check on things"

i went through 4 10 gallons when I was drilling for my 2x10 sump. very happy the $/gallon sale was going on as well.

/subscribed

Picked up a few corals. Still not adding sps yet but I got a nice little whamming watermelon & atomic eagle eye zoa garden, a tiny (but happy) looking little brain and some gsp (which is still kind of irritated with the dip and move)

Sorry about pics but it appears my iphone's camera does not like my led's

IMG_4864_zpsf0c3061a.jpg

IMG_4866_zpsaa04150d.jpg

IMG_4865_zpsf5e4e6b0.jpg

Archived