inTank Media Baskets

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Thanks!

I know cyano is not an algae and is instead bacteria. Considering the full name, that's pretty obvious even to people who aren't in a science field (I am)! :D

It doesn't look cyan to me. Red slime, purple green bubbly slimy snot is what it looks like.

Are we all to also know that diatoms and dinoflagellates are algae by these names?

Taxonomy of these plants and bacteria have changed over the last 30 or so years, first time I went to school all three had their own classifications, as not algae. Even though at the time cyanobacteria were sometimes referred to as "blue green algae"; but known as NOT an algae, really.

I predict, fishgirl1234, that by the end of your biology career, several branches of the Taxonomy Tree Of Life will have changed their names on you(if biology is your career, you may even help change them).. In any regard, these things don't change because we call them something else. And getting rid of them is still the same, and won't change because of what we call them. Well, KZ CyanoClean is pretty new, but im still testing if it works.

Fishgirl2393

I know the classification of cyanobacteria has been debated. I was just mentioning that I knew it was NOT an algae. And yes, biologists tend to change classifications as more becomes known about something. I'll post a pic this afternoon (lights don't come on till noon). Assuming it still does, it looked really good yesterday! I'm feeding Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef frozen food mostly since the candycane really likes it (gobbles it up) and the fish does too. I sometimes feed Omega One Super Color flakes (if I don't want to thaw frozen food) but it is usually the frozen.

• 2 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Nice tank! How are the candy canes doing since the last shot? Any polyp extension after feeding?

Thanks! They extend pretty good now (and after feedings, they extend a little more). I'm still getting them to recover from lack of food but they look good compared to before! Didn't mean to starve my tank but in my efforts to keep nitrate and phosphate low, I ended up almost doing it!

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Got an awesome LED moonlight today (Glofish 6" LED). It looks great and I'm excited to finally have moonlighting again!

Fishgirl2393

OK, so the tank is doing well. I've got another mushroom on hold at the LFS waiting till it attaches to something before I get it. Now, my question is this, how do I get rid of caulerpa algae? It is the grape caulerpa type. Is there a fish/invert that eats it that is reef safe and would fit in my tank? Lawnmower blenny? Starry blenny? I pull it out regularly (with tweezers to make sure I'm getting the roots too) but it comes back.

Fishgirl2393

I'm visiting a family member right now (about 8 hours from home) and wondered if it would be possible for me to get some coral and have it survive the rest of the time here (leaving tomorrow) and the trip home. There is an awesome store around here so if anyone can give me some tips on ways to do this, that would be awesome. I figure leaving them in bags would NOT work but would putting them in something else (maybe with an airpump) work or not?

It would survive the trip home in bags, but I would start your trip home from the fish store. 8 Hours would be shorter than ordering something online and having them overnight it to you. Just keep the water temp right and they should be ok for a 8 hour ride. I moved from FL to PA (21 hour drive) and all my livestock made it. In buckets and air pumps. So you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend the 21 hour trip for anyone. This was my first tank and I didnt know any better. I think I got more lucky than anything! :P

What corals are you gonna get?! :)

Fishgirl2393

Not sure yet but I may have to buy today if I get something. The thing is, the store doesn't open till 12:00 M-F so I would probably have to get stuff today. But could I keep them in like a tupperware container with airpump and keep temp stable and have them do OK? It would only be softies or LPS corals.

Fishgirl2393

Well, I bought 2 corals (picking them up tomorrow before leaving since that was OK with the store). I got a 4-headed duncan frag and a green ricordea for less than $15!

Fishgirl2393

Just picked them up. They gave me two freebee's too (another duncan and some zoas). So, I got two duncan frags, a ricordea (green) and some zoas (about 5) for under $15. They all look healthy and as soon as I get them home and established, I'll post pics. I've read conflicting reports but I'm assuming duncan coral needs to be fed, correct? Where should I place it (flow, light, general tank placement)?

Fishgirl2393

Yeah, I know. I've just read that Duncan coral grows really well if you feed it but I've also heard some people say you don't need to. What about placement?

jedimasterben

They tolerate a wide range of light intensity, and as for flow, give it as much as possible up to the point of less polyp extension.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

The new corals are not fully open yet but so far, look good. The zoas seem to have some red on them (I don't know what they look like because I was on the other side of the frag tank when the store owner added them to my bag as freebees). I'll post pics when they all open.

Fishgirl2393

Duncans opened up nicely today (and I fed them with a great response) as did the ricordea and some of the zoas. Will post pics when I can.

Fishgirl2393

Corals still looking good. The tank has gotten a small cyano outbreak though, and while I know I could treat it with my ChemiClean, I would prefer to try to get it under control naturally first. My nitrates are about 7ppm and I'm running PhosGuard (recently changed). Any ideas? It's only on the sandbed so it's not TOO bad, just not happy that it's there. It SEEMS that it started after I got a new box of salt (Instant Ocean) but it may be totally unrelated to that. Calcium is 450ppm, pH is about 8.0, dKH is about 11.

Fishgirl2393

It could be flow. I'll look into that. I've considered getting a wavemaker (either the JBJ one or the Hydor one) and another powerhead but am not sure about it yet.

Fishgirl2393

I don't think it's flow because it is mostly there at night and goes away during the day. My power heads are not on timers so flow is the same. I'm wondering if it is low pH causing it. My pH drops at night. What could I do if this is the case?