Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

Still NO cyano!!! :) I'm going to be probably getting some more corals this weekend (Sunday) including that monti-cap I mentioned a few weeks ago. So, mid-tank for it or higher/lower?

Fishgirl2393

would say mid to mid-low

Thanks!

I know cyano is not an algae and is instead bacteria. Considering the full name, that's pretty obvious even to people who aren't in a science field (I am)! :D

Fishgirl2393

I wasn't specifically referring to cyano as an "algae" and never do when I'm talking either. I may have mentioned algae but if I did, it was NOT referring to cyanobacteria. As I said, as a biology major, I know perfectly well what cyano is and wouldn't call it an algae.

Fishgirl2393

Still no cyano. :) Got a few new corals (more kenya trees even though I still have my two) but didn't get the monti-cap because the club member forgot to come yesterday! But anyway, I have a question that I've asked recently but no one had an answer for so I'm going to ask again. My corals don't seem to be growing as fast as other people's corals do. With my parameters (new ones listed below) and setup, is there a reason why and how can I get them to grow faster/more? My lights are still 4x24watt T5HO (2 12,000k bulbs, 1 actinic blue, 1 purple) in an Odyssea fixture. Are they too bright (I've had a mushroom bleach that is recovering now, but only one out of many bleached)? Also, the GSP, which is growing very fast (has extended the purple mat quite a bit since I got it), is not opening as much as GSP is supposed to (it barely opens). What's up with that?

Parameters:

Ammonia, nitrite: 0

Nitrate: >5ppm

Phosphate: >0.03ppm

Calcium: 495ppm

Magnesium: 1350ppm

pH: 7.9-8.0

dKH: 8-9dKH

Temp: 78oF

Salinity: 1.024-1.025

Fishgirl2393

I would normally say that's probably the case, but this coral doesn't EVER open up very much, and yet is growing. As for the other corals, why don't they seem to grow much? Is there anything wrong with the tank or set up?

Fishgirl2393

I'm going to post pictures in a bit (waiting on camera batteries to charge!) and will also post parameters after I test (about to do that right now). I still need some ideas about why I'm not getting good growth.

Fishgirl2393

OK. Well, I tested the parameters and they are...

Nitrate: <5ppm

Calcium: 490ppm

pH: 7.6-7.7 (this is alarming!) with API test kit. Not sure why it would be this low but it is not showing up as even remotely red on the chart.

dKH: 7 (again, kinda low)

What's this about? What should I do? Water change? Dose ProBuffer dKH? I need some advice. And these are the pictures...

FTS:

post-50769-0-01753600-1396635918_thumb.jpg

This is to show that the GSP has grown a lot, but doesn't open much (don't know why)

post-50769-0-43693700-1396635940_thumb.jpg

I figure this is just a change in lighting (from and LED tank to my T5HO tank) but this is what the kenya tree looks like right now and what it will look like soon I'm sure (my little one beside the big one lightened when I got it).

post-50769-0-98902600-1396635951_thumb.jpg

Fishgirl2393

Still need some info but I dosed ProBuffer yesterday, checked this morning (pH: 7.7-7.8) and dosed again. Don't want to get dependent on this since it can cause swings so if someone could help, that would be awesome.

I don't get why people complicate pH... if you have a salt that keeps it at 8.0 like IORC, then just point a powerhead at the surface of the water... and that's it.

Tank looks pretty good by the way. Also, does your tree coral stay straight by itself? Mine is always somewhat sideways, so I'm not really sure what to do in terms of placement. It's not drooping like when the lights are off, but it's not completely straight either.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Mine stay straight by themselves. They close up periodically to "shed" and then look somewhat bigger afterwards so they must be happy. The color has changed since I got them, but they were under LED before (Marineland Reef Capable) so I figure that's to be expected. I am going to do a water change probably tomorrow or something and hopefully, that will fix any pH issues. It just seems low and the alk does too (but I DON'T like dosing the buffer stuff because I don't want wild swings either). GSP looks better since the dosing though (alk is slightly higher) so I may need to look for a salt that raises it more than what I'm using.

Fishgirl2393

OK, so the tank seems to be staying stable alk/pH wise. I haven't added any more doses of ProBuffer, and this morning everything was good. Is it possible that since I had not done a water change in about 2 weeks that the corals had just used up a lot and made it go down? It seems unlikely to me because I only have the candycane and the chaice but the chalice is NOT growing right now (it receded and I'm waiting to see if it will come back from the flesh that is left or not). Also, I still haven't solved the problem of GSP not opening up much. Tips would be helpful because I really like the way GSP looks when it's fully open.

• 4 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Just did a 4-gallon water change (~20% in my tank). Feeding has helped my candy cane and other corals do well. GSP still not open a whole lot and I wonder if the aluminum oxide PhosGuard is to blame... Not removing it yet, just wondering. I read that GSP is sensitive to that so I wondered.

jedimasterben

GSP doesn't care about Phosguard, the aluminum that it leaches into the water is not significant in real-world situations.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Will get one tomorrow. Lights are off now so if I posted one, it wouldn't be new and if I turned the lights on, the corals would be closed!