Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clam pic for Zephs help!

sfdanksta650

Picture For zephNYC my new corcea clam with PM and gaping inlet

Hi!

Received your Pm, THank you. Clam is gaping for sure. Looks like a Live Aquaria clam. Like I said...please take an accurate nitrate reading with either a red sea, or salifert test kit. Is it night gaping also ? Put her in the very brightest location of your tank. Croceas are the hardest to keep and really require maximum lighting and low nitrates, but not zero nitrates. Get back to me, thank you.

Edit. Try putting her up closer to the light on the rockwork.

Hi!

Received your Pm, THank you. Clam is gaping for sure. Looks like a Live Aquaria clam. Like I said...please take an accurate nitrate reading with either a red sea, or salifert test kit. Is it night gaping also ? Put her in the very brightest location of your tank. Croceas are the hardest to keep and really require maximum lighting and low nitrates, but not zero nitrates. Get back to me, thank you.

What clams are the easiest?

Thanks zeph. I just moved him up the rock. My nitrates are 5 ppm. Should I do a FW dip on him in a couple of weeks or so? And how much watts per gallon for clams?

He's fully attached to a little rock should I get rid of the PVC pipe? My lfs recommend to use one.

post-73780-1356208029_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Live Aquaria clam.

I've heard that your a clam-expert, but you can tell where it came from by a picture?

:o

:P

(And is Live Aquaria a bad source for clams? I've had nothing but good luck with fish from them...)

I got mine from a lfs aqua exotic awesome store. I have never bought any type of livestock online in fear of DOA. But that's me

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away for a while but am back now. Live Aquaria is great for clams, better than most. Them and Dr. Mac are always my first choice. But keep in mind no vendor can make you any promises so there is always a risk, its just the nature of the deal, and no vendor can be responsible for fed ex or UPS disasters.

What clams are the easiest?

Deresa clams are by FARRRRR the easiest! Even when I give them a fresh water dip they dont even close up.

dsc0874k.jpg

TeflonTomDosh

Hi!

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away for a while but am back now. Live Aquaria is great for clams, better than most. Them and Dr. Mac are always my first choice. But keep in mind no vendor can make you any promises so there is always a risk, its just the nature of the deal, and no vendor can be responsible for fed ex or UPS disasters.

So let me get this straight, 3 mo ago, due to the clam gaping (not a good thing) it was definitely a LA clam. Now, they're your first choice for clams? How much did they pay you to say that?

Deresa clams are by FARRRRR the easiest! Even when I give them a fresh water dip they dont even close up.

dsc0874k.jpg

Do you think I could keep a Deresa clam thriving in a 6 gallon edge? I mainly have sps (color sticks) everything is growing great and i been wanting a tiny clam to keep in main tank till it gets bigger then ill transfer it to the 375

So let me get this straight, 3 mo ago, due to the clam gaping (not a good thing) it was definitely a LA clam. Now, they're your first choice for clams? How much did they pay you to say that?

They pay me very well to endorse their clams ( I WISH ). LA will always be my first choice for all live stock simply because of their quarantine procedures and 14 day %100 refund policy. That and I really just like to support the work they do. Fact is MOST wild cought clams dont make it in aquariums for more than a year, and that can not be blamed on the vendor. My oldest clam, which Ive had for nearly 7 years, came from LA.

Do you think I could keep a Deresa clam thriving in a 6 gallon edge? I mainly have sps (color sticks) everything is growing great and i been wanting a tiny clam to keep in main tank till it gets bigger then ill transfer it to the 375

Sure thing!!! Ive kept a deresa in a 5 gal quarantine for well over 3 months and feel I could have kept it i their indefinitely. I would not feel comfortable with any other clam species, Maybeeeeee a small aquacultured maxima if you really know what you re doing and can can keep a stable environment in such a small aquarium as well as supply the neccessary bio load.. The only negative aspect is Deresas grow faster them almost all other clams, so it will outgrow it far faster then a Maxima would, but hell..you have 375 ! nice!!

TeflonTomDosh
They pay me very well to endorse their clams ( I WISH ). LA will always be my first choice for all live stock simply because of their quarantine procedures and 14 day 0 refund policy. That and I really just like to support the work they do. Fact is MOST wild cought clams dont make it in aquariums for more than a year, and that can not be blamed on the vendor. My oldest clam, which Ive had for nearly 7 years, came from LA. Sure thing!!! Ive kept a deresa in a 5 gal quarantine for well over 3 months and feel I could have kept it i their indefinitely. I would not feel comfortable with any other clam species, Maybeeeeee a small aquacultured maxima if you really know what you re doing and can can keep a stable environment in such a small aquarium as well as supply the neccessary bio load.. The only negative aspect is Deresas grow faster them almost all other clams, so it will outgrow it far faster then a Maxima would, but hell..you have 375 ! nice!!
Tooooo funny. Here's another post you made saying LA clams are crap. Hmmmm

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/309871-zephs-zoo-haus/?p=4034186

TeflonTomDosh
Oh you are so right!! And I dont know what the F im talking about!!! Just because LA had some bad clams a while back means they will never ever have good clams again. Youre a friggin GENIUS!!!
Thanks. Tell panda girl I said hello Creeper Creepstofferson.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Zeph, are deresea clams a little more tolerant of nutrient-rich water (nitrates, no phosphates)?

If so, what's the upper limit on nitrates?

Despite having my skimmer and chaeto I always have a decent amount of nitrates around. None of my corals seem to mind at all but I know clams are super sensitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zeph, are deresea clams a little more tolerant of nutrient-rich water (nitrates, no phosphates)?

If so, what's the upper limit on nitrates?

Despite having my skimmer and chaeto I always have a decent amount of nitrates around. None of my corals seem to mind at all but I know clams are super sensitive.

Hi !! Sorry for delay, this one got by me. You should not have any problems keeping a Deresa ( or any other clam btw) with nitrates up to 10ppm, Acros don't appear to mind much either. I would use a Phosphate remover though or you're tempting a microalgae outbreak. Nitrates are not as bad as we have been told all these decades. In fact many tanks are looking better when we allow low levels of this nutrient to accumulate.

Archived