SaltCritters.com

Rollermonkey

Ok, tank build is in the signature, as are current parameters. Magnesium is elevated while I am combatting bryopsis and algae, which are both in retreat. Calcium is a little high, which in combination with the high mag is depressing the alkalinity. Tank is 6.5 months old, and I'm getting good coral growth, to the extent that a trumpet I thought died in shipping has recovered almost completely.

My main concern, is the JBJ 54W LED Unibody light fixture sufficient to support a tridacna crocea on the bottom, or should it be placed higher up, or is it completely inadequate to support a clam in a BC29?

(I almost asked this in the lighting forum, but those people in there are scary! )

Your nitrate is low, you really need it between 1-2 ppm. I'd solve your algae issues fully before you attempt a clam as well. I would probably put the clam half way up in a 29 cube with a 54W LED, but really the person you want to talk to is ZephNYC and hasn't been on much the past couple of days.

Yeah, I was thinking similar thoughts re: the nitrates/phosphates/algae, but I also have 2 red mangroves, so I really can't ID how much nitrates and phosphates are being used by what.

I was under the impression that crocea clams over 3-4 inches get more energy/nutrition from the photosynthetic zooxanthellae than from filter feeding when compared to the smaller ones...

I have 2 maximas in my tank Roller. 12.3 gallons. About 7-8 months old now. But I also have 2 A150W Kessils over it. So I'm super overkill on light. They are thriving though.

'Tsup, Eddie. You must be dosing calcium...

As much as I want to pull the trigger on this, I probably will wait a bit more. Make sure the algae is under control and whatnot.

(I almost asked this in the lighting forum, but those people in there are scary! )

Gee that is odd, no offense meant, but I have only seen good and sound advice in the Lighting forum for 99.99% of the cases, so I am kind of wondering why you make that statement .. did I miss something?

Now for a Clam ... you will need high intensity lighting for sure.

Check this http://reefbuilders.com/2010/05/14/blue-sq...sa-remind-reef/

and: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=3098

And yes they do nee intense lighting esp. if place towards the bottom and really "clear" water so the spectrum does not get distorted by the turbidity in the water or a slight yellow color due to Gelbstoff from DOC.

FWIW

jedimasterben
Yeah, I was thinking similar thoughts re: the nitrates/phosphates/algae, but I also have 2 red mangroves, so I really can't ID how much nitrates and phosphates are being used by what.

I was under the impression that crocea clams over 3-4 inches get more energy/nutrition from the photosynthetic zooxanthellae than from filter feeding when compared to the smaller ones...

Without small amounts of nitrate and phosphate, clams starve to death, no matter how much light you give them. Dr. Mac's clams and clams from Live Aquaria are a prime example.

'Tsup, Eddie. You must be dosing calcium...

As much as I want to pull the trigger on this, I probably will wait a bit more. Make sure the algae is under control and whatnot.

Far too lazy to dose. Don't even test for anything. Just weekly 4 gallon water changes and call it good.

I'm in the same boat. I just got a corcea for my bc14 and I too have the jbj unibody 54w I just got it yesterday and so far so good

You won't be able to tell in one day. It typically takes atleast a few weeks for clams to die off. People that experience a clam death in a week or two already had a very sick clam.

Gee that is odd, no offense meant, but I have only seen good and sound advice in the Lighting forum for 99.99% of the cases, so I am kind of wondering why you make that statement .. did I miss something?

'Twas a joke. I read a few threads in there, and decided that I couldn't understand a lot of the discussions, especially DIY LEDs and whatnot. There's really a lot of advanced knowledge and I'm not at that level, nor was my question. Scary sometimes means the unknown.

Thanks for the links, though, Albert. I'll be reading them momentarily.

You won't be able to tell in one day. It typically takes atleast a few weeks for clams to die off. People that experience a clam death in a week or two already had a very sick clam.

Obviously ! Lol!

Your post made me rethink the placement of the little Maxima in my tank. Thanks Eddie.

Without small amounts of nitrate and phosphate, clams starve to death, no matter how much light you give them. Dr. Mac's clams and clams from Live Aquaria are a prime example.

Prime example of emaciated clams? I thought these 2 vendors were reliable and stood by their products/livestock.

Prime example of emaciated clams? I thought these 2 vendors were reliable and stood by their products/livestock.

There seems to be a lack of proof of the longevity of the clams that have been kept in zero nitrogen systems.

To put it plainly, these clams are dying within a year, more often in less time.

Got a Kessil gooseneck for the 150 yesterday, figured out a way to mount it, and made the cuts in the lid necessary.

Now, when I'm ready to buy a clam, I'm ready to add a Kessil at the same time.

Archived