Pod Your Reef

December 2012 Featured Reef - metrokat

Christopher Marks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats Kat!

What kind of stick are you beating your tank inhabitants with when they get out of line? Is it a new product from Ecotech?

lol. It's an acrylic rod actually, a left over piece from when I drilled my rocks to make the structure.. It is long enough to be able to fuss with stuff in the tank without getting my hands wet (manicure killer BTW) and then it slowly evolved into a beating stick. I have spanked quite a few hermits, even tried it on the clown fish when she catches the Midas Benny by the tail and swings him around. :o

Congratulations ! Well done !

Albert

Thank you Albert. I've been meaning to post on your thread about the Oxydator. Good luck with your book.

Kat,

Regarding the stick you use for disciplining your fish.......I'm a psychologist that does training in motivating children and positive, solution-focused interventions for behavior problems. I'd be happy to give you some different ideas for managing the misbehavior of your fish.

However, just like the inability of psychologists to have well behaved kids, I can't get my own fish to do what I want. I have two oc. clowns that won't go near my two gorgeous RBTAs despite all of my attempts. I may need to borrow your stick.

--Doug

Awesome job Kat!!!! That tank is amazing and jaw dropping. Definitely one of my inspirations to strive for. :)

Thank you. What a nice thing to say! When I installed my actinic accent light I fell off my chair, the tank truly looks unbelievable with it.

Congrats!!!

Thank you.

See what happens when you clean your room ;)... nice job Kat.

Ha Ha, you were right Mike.

Well done! I really like that refugium.

Show me more :-)

Rick

Thanks Rick. My thread index, right on the first post, has a couple of links to the fuge build and stocking.

It looked like this at the end of September

IMG_20120928_073801.jpg

And back in August, with my sump-watchcat :)

IMG_9832.JPG

Kat,

Regarding the stick you use for disciplining your fish.......I'm a psychologist that does training in motivating children and positive, solution-focused interventions for behavior problems. I'd be happy to give you some different ideas for managing the misbehavior of your fish.

However, just like the inability of psychologists to have well behaved kids, I can't get my own fish to do what I want. I have two oc. clowns that won't go near my two gorgeous RBTAs despite all of my attempts. I may need to borrow your stick.

--Doug

Hi Doug, I could rent my beating stick out, do you mind that it's pink? I'm not sure your clown fish will take you seriously if you brandish about a pink beating stick. Just saying'. Also, you could try printing up a colored photo of clownfish in a RBTA and stick it on the glass close to the nem for the clownfish to get a clue. If they are tank raised they may not have the same love for anemones as wild caught fish do. Many favor the colander method. If your RBTA is on a small rock that can be moved, put it in a plastic colander with the clowns, float that thing in the tank for a day or so, make sure the lights are off or the colander is anchored so that nobody gets cooked. They will discover the anemone with nothing else distracting them.

Kat

Stunning!

Thank you.

Congrats Kat!

Thanks RK.

Also, you could try printing up a colored photo of clownfish in a RBTA and stick it on the glass close to the nem for the clownfish to get a clue. If they are tank raised they may not have the same love for anemones as wild caught fish do. Many favor the colander method. If your RBTA is on a small rock that can be moved, put it in a plastic colander with the clowns, float that thing in the tank for a day or so, make sure the lights are off or the colander is anchored so that nobody gets cooked. They will discover the anemone with nothing else distracting them.

Thanks for the ideas.......I already tried the photos for weeks. I also tried the colander method for 5 days. Neither worked but I'm open to other ideas.

Woo! You go girl! Show these boys who's got skillz.

lol, thanks. I'm hoping to host a TOTM ladies brunch. ;)

Thanks for the ideas.......I already tried the photos for weeks. I also tried the colander method for 5 days. Neither worked but I'm open to other ideas.

Wow Dug, PM me your addy, I'll send out the stick.

Archived