Cultivated Reef

Mini Monster 38

BusterDB

Its been a busy summer and the tank has been on cruise control. Good thing I have someone keeping a watchful eye on everything.

b6360a1e-025c-4550-a95d-110f4959de1b_zps

New July FTS

4eda48a7-b57e-4f14-9601-f71deadba263_zps

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks amazing, especially your rockscape!

I appreciate it :)

Looking good. Makes me a little jealous :D

Thanks. What about the cat?... You want her?.... She's all yours! :lol:

New scape? Looks good. :)

Thx its slightly modified. I got rid of that frag rack and moved a few corals around.

I do like Siamese cats but it would kill my allergies.

You sir are lucky. I used to like cats... then we brought this one home...she is pure evil. haha

I guess I've been a little behind on the updates. After the wrasse war a few months ago, the tank need more swimmers. I picked up a nice Lubbock's wrasse and a Sunburst anthias.

New Lubbock's getting his flash on. Notice the astonished clown in the background.

d5852c76-20a3-42ff-9a3b-1f4899686325_zps

Camera shy new Sunburst. Had to crop out the always photobombing cardinal.

ae26b6ee-072b-4eeb-883e-d80a0d9ca6e4_zps

Everything is looking great in here.how did that acan frag end up doing? Were you able to get it looking happy again?

Thanks jg. I was just looking at that acan yesterday as a mater of fact. It is doing very well, fat and happy. There are still only three heads but all have improved. The only difference is the color change. I think I lost that bright orange/ purple color due to where it is located(directly under the radion). It looks way more red, but still nice. Its hard to see in my FTS but its directly under the Lubbucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a little quiet around here so here's an update...

Last week I broke down my basement tank and decided to clear out a few corals. I figured it was a good time to make a trip down to my local coral "dealer" to see what kind of goods I could score. I brought down my RBTA , a small colony of frogspawn and another small colony of red and green blastos for trade. I picked up a crazy melted crayon looking chalice and something I have never actually owned... a scoly.

Here are a few shots of the scoly devouring some pellets. These things have a crazy feeding response and open up like an alien when fed. I think I have found a new toy ;)

Sorry for the heavy blues. It was late and I didn't feel like messing with the radion / computer to adjust the lighting.

Food already out of sight

1a66b56a-0fda-4640-9361-3f84cb7e4c9d_zps

8bb55c1c-0547-4299-bedb-eae9b06b1723_zps

0163746d-5ba7-4bcb-9fed-9f4883b0309a_zps

eeab11da-3ccb-4e63-97c9-bc716941dbd4_zps

It's pretty cool how their colors get super intense while they eat.

Do you think the stand is sturdy? I've read that it wobbles but not so sure.

The stand is sturdy enough to support the weight of the tank but it is also very top heavy. I do not trust that it would stand upright if pushed in the slightest in any one direction. The tank itself is awesome but the stand is an accident waiting to happen.

• 1 month later...

Great Tank!

My M. capricornus bleached a bit, put it half way down. I might have to place it on the sand bed for a while. So far so good, just waiting for more corals.

Thanks Pico! Yeah you'll have that with the Pro. I bleached just about all my chalice corals (except for some reason my miami hurricane looks better), my green monti cap and a orange plate lost some color as well. I started out at 75% intensity and had to back it down to 55%. Now everything looks much better including my Red planet that is starting to color up nicely.

I got my Ecotech Reeflink beta selection email today. Reeflink should be here by Friday :happydance: I'm excited to see what improvements have been made to ESL and what pump control options will be offered. Should be pretty cool.

• 3 months later...

Any updates. I'm seriously considering downsizing my much hated 46 bowfront to either this or the smaller 30 gallon version. How is the tank holding up for you? Do you use the glass lid? Thanks.

Any updates. I'm seriously considering downsizing my much hated 46 bowfront to either this or the smaller 30 gallon version. How is the tank holding up for you? Do you use the glass lid? Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by. My tank has had a few ups and downs since I last posted. Mostly from a mini crash that left my tank kind of in a funk. I only lost two corals ( Pink Lemonade Acro and a Green Smooth Skin Acro ) but the crash left me with a tank full of brown SPS and LPS. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I believe it had something to do with removing a portion of my sand bed.

Its been about 6 weeks since the mini crash and things were finally starting to color back up and grow. I bought a bottle of AquaVitro Fuel to help promote polyp extension and gain back some color. Bad idea. I have only been dosing around 5ml a week and came down with an nasty outbreak of Cyno and some hair algae. Kind of sucks but I'll figure it out. If not, that upgrade I have been thinking about might come a little sooner than planned ;)

The tank is 1.5 years old and has held up just fine. I've read of some of the horror stories with tanks leaking and cracking but mine has been rock solid. The issues that I've ran into have been minor and IM customer service has always backed up their products ( skimmer and stand ).

If I had to pick one thing I do not like it would have to be the stand. It is sturdy enough to hold the tank, but it scares the crap out of me when my two boys go flying by into the kitchen. If you have small kids you may want to look elsewhere for a stand. Cadlights actually makes a nice one for about the same price, if your interested.

The glass top is fine but does collects a lot of condensation. Right now I am only using it at night to help curb evaporation ( about 3/4 of a gallon per day).

Hope that covered everything. I will try and get some updated pictures posted soon.

Sure did, thanks. Sorry about the crash, I've been there and done that a couple of times now. Part of the learning experience I think.

• 1 month later...

Nice tank, sorry about the crash.

You have been with the Radion Pro for a while, with awesome growth. What intensity are you running it at?

Thanks. Lately I have been bumping the intensity down to see how a few of my corals respond. I am running at 45% since I just picked up two nice sps frags that were previously under T5. Anything over 60% and I start roasting my chalice and acans.

Running mine 60% on high growth template.

My GARF Bonsai medium burgundy, not the deep purple like when I first bought it. Encrusting over glue though.

Aside from a Paletta Pink Tip Acro, everything doing well.

LFS chalice bought bleached, slow re-coloration after time in shade, sand bed and finally 1/4 from bottom.

I don't have great polyp extension though.

If the lights are 20K colors really pop. I was thinking of dialing lights back down, not sure yet?

Original purchase most coral were 250 watt 20K metal halide and was advised to start at about 55% intensity.

Would haves to say I am enjoying reef link, not having to USB to lights!

• 2 weeks later...

Wooo an up to date tank thread that isn't nearly a year old! I currently have a 29 gallon bowfront which was originally a fresh water set up which I turned into a reef with a tunze 9004 skimmer and the maxspect razor led lighting system. I want to upgrade and I recently found and fell in love with the nuvo line of aquariums. What would you have done differently looking back with this system??

Wooo an up to date tank thread that isn't nearly a year old! I currently have a 29 gallon bowfront which was originally a fresh water set up which I turned into a reef with a tunze 9004 skimmer and the maxspect razor led lighting system. I want to upgrade and I recently found and fell in love with the nuvo line of aquariums. What would you have done differently looking back with this system??

I would have bought a bigger tank w/ a sump! Nothing against IM tanks, but I feel I've outgrown my current setup and AIO tanks are somewhat limiting. However, if you feel like a Nuvo is the tank for you, then I would recommend looking into a different stand or cabinet. The stand for my 38 is awfully top heavy and poorly made. Not sure what tank you are looking at but cad lights makes a pretty decent stand for their artisan series that would fit a Nuvo 38. If I wasn't looking to upgrade I would have bought it already.

Stay away from their skimmer. I have the larger one and it's pretty terrible. Aside from those things, the tank has performed as it should. I get a lot of comments on how nice it looks anytime we have company. Hope that helps. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Marine Depot

Its been a busy summer and the tank has been on cruise control. Good thing I have someone keeping a watchful eye on everything.

b6360a1e-025c-4550-a95d-110f4959de1b_zps

New July FTS

4eda48a7-b57e-4f14-9601-f71deadba263_zps

Hey,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. Please let me know, thank you!

Hey,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. Please let me know, thank you!

Absolutely! Pleas let me know if you need anything from me. Thank you.

Archived