SaltCritters.com

Mini Monster 38

BusterDB

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank looks really good! I am thinking about getting a vega do you see good growth and color from your zoas with this light?

The Vega is an awesome light but you do need to be careful with zoas. Established colonies seem to do fine. But I have melted more than a few zoa frags from putting them right under the light. My tank is 19in deep and I have always started them on the sand or low on the rock but it never seems to matter, they just melt. I bought a eshops corner frag rack and have had much better luck starting frags there. Palys on the other hand are indestructible no matter where I put them.

Awesome aquarium! Your aquascape is freakin sweet!

Thanks. I think it came out pretty good. It almost looks like a crazy reef castle... or maybe thats just me. :huh:

New Coral Update:

Had to use the iphone for this one, battery is dead on camera.

fragrack.jpg

a.) Unknow Acropora (NEW) - Purple base with light green polyps has red/pink hues on top.

b.) Rainbow Montipora

c.) Pink Pavona

d.) Nuke Green Paly

e.) Neon Pink Goniopora (NEW)

f.) Unknow Acropora Millepora (NEW) - Dark Purple/Brown Base w/ light blue poylps and green hues on base

g.) AOG Zoas

h.) Orange Plating Montipora (NEW)

I'm hoping the millepora colors up, not sure what to expect with that one. Same with acro a) I have no idea what to make of this coral either.

lookin really good man. I absolutely love your mystery wrasse. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to put one in my nuvo. I would like to have a couple shrimp so that makes me nervous. Has he gotten your cleaner yet?

I've been missing out on so many nice tanks lately. Great job on this one, keep it up!

I appreciate it thanks :)

lookin really good man. I absolutely love your mystery wrasse. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to put one in my nuvo. I would like to have a couple shrimp so that makes me nervous. Has he gotten your cleaner yet?

No, the cleaner is alive and doing his thing. The Mystery is still a little timid and so far has been the model citizen. There's always a chance the Mystery will help himself to a little shrimp cocktail at some point, it's just their nature.

If you do decide to pull the trigger on a Mystery Wrasse, try to find a smaller juvenile and add him well after any other fish or shrimp inhabitants. That should help, but again there is always that chance they go rogue.

Sharp looking tank, fantastic scape.

Thanks. The fish and coral seem to dig it too!

The red turf algae war has begun. It finally got to the point where I'm sick of looking at it and watching it spread. During my weekly wc yesterday I took about 10g of water out of the display and applied a 3ml dose of H2O2 directly to enemy on the top rock. Here is a shot of the damage about 4 hours later. Hopefully it gets worse today.

24EEC241-51BD-4D58-8024-75EA8C9B0D03-3016-000002AAED47C865.jpg

redturf.jpg

Turf algae has been hanging tuff. Tomorrow I'm yanking the top rock, which is almost covered in algae, and doing a 50/50 H202 and saltwater dip. If that doesn't work, the rock will get a dose of Northeast Ohio fresh winter air for a few weeks on my deck.

Almost forgot... Picked up some new frags today from a local reefer. Miami Hurricane Chalice, Sunny D Paly, green Monti Cap and a nice piece of Setosa (not pictured).

Dec10coral-2.jpg

That turf algae battle must suck! Im almost done clearing a cyano outbreak in my tank.

Turf algae is the worst. I took a wire brush to a rock I pulled out to dip in h2o2 and it did absolutely nothing. I know I'm in for a battle with this stuff. However, the peroxide dip seems like it is working. It killed off 75% of the turf on the rock. I plan on doing another dip this week to get the rest. I'll post a picture later to show the progress.

I love the new corals you picked. Nice vibrant colors

Thanks. I'm looking forward to see how these turn out, especially the monti caps. I mounted the green and red monti cap right next to each other, hoping they morph into a mixed colony. Should look pretty sweet.

Turf algae 1hr after hydrogen peroxide dip...

DSC00178_zps5c93b121.jpg

Same rock 6 days later...

DSC00187_zps7ac7d896.jpg

This is the only rock I treated and pulled it from the tank, put it in a dry bucket and applied the peroxide directly to the algae. I let it soak in for about two minutes then filled the bucket with tank water and added a bit more h2o2 then let it soak again for about 5minutes. One more dip tomorrow should take care of the rest of this mess.

I was a little concerned about dipping my purple highlighter acro. It was a little stressed at first but now seems to be unaffected and the polyps are swaying.

• 2 weeks later...

Snapped a quick picture of my superman monti last night with the blues running. The base on this was almost white a few weeks back and has colored to a nice deep blue. Its been growing fast too

044F7B15-D452-486C-B641-0EAC6FC06F4A-142

I missed this when you first posted. Looks fantastic and I hope you keep us updated with everything. Interesting to hear that the acro survived the dip, especially since I have some pesky algae issues as well.

Looks good man. How's the new vega working for you?

Thanks. Love the Vega, I posted some of my thoughts on the light on the first page. I have no complaints this far, color and growth have been great.

I've been following your new ADA build. Looks great! I have almost the same build cycling right now sans the ADA. I'm doing the whole dry rock, AC filter AI Nano build. Only difference is our tank, Im using a standard 15 gallon, nothing fancy and I'm debating going bare bottom. Let me know if you find any exotic nems, I'm on the look out for something like PYA's toxic cloud bta. Prob going to stock this with mostly nems and a pair of clowns. BTW I think the AI Nano is the perfect light for this tank, you will really enjoy it.

Here's a crap iPhone pic of this one, prob going to start a thread and get some real pics up soon.

886C8964-6021-455A-9C8E-6ACE5077989D-142

I missed this when you first posted. Looks fantastic and I hope you keep us updated with everything. Interesting to hear that the acro survived the dip, especially since I have some pesky algae issues as well.

Will do. I read quite a bit of the peroxide thread and decided to give it a shot. I actually dipped that acro twice, it has pulled through both times. The peroxide really does seem to work and would suggest it as a last resort after traditional methods. Only drawback thus far was losing my cleaner shrimp after the treatment. I got a little hasty while rinsing the rock and put it back in too soon. Kind of a bummer but at least the mini maxi had a nice treat.

00A14C6F-4EDE-4F0B-8BBC-7873C4E0E417-142

Here is the latest shot of my rock, almost turf algae free.

D768D7A8-0874-422D-B539-07294A427F29-142

Deleted User 4

Looks good man! You should get an ada man!! Hahaha

Then we'll really be twins haha. Yeah, you're right, the ai nano sol is perfect for nano tanks. :)

I'd love an ADA but the wifey wouldn't so much. Only reason I got this one going was because I already had all the equipment except the filter. The next new tank I buy (summer time) will be not so nano, I'm thinking 100+ g custom rimless. ;)

Lol. Yep bought the Nano for the BC14 then decided to upgrade to larger system. The Vega took forever to get released so I had to rock the Nano for a while. :lol: I was planning on selling it but I liked it too much. Its a powerful little light... kept my coral happy till the vega came. AI actually designed the Nano for a 50g 24x24 cube. Only thing I don't like about AI is their rediculous controllers.

I have both the old and new controller. The old controller is great and still works better than my new wireless unit. I feel like AI rushed to get this controller out and its functionality suffered. Right out of the box my unit needed two firmware updates(which were very difficult to update since I have all Apple products). Even after the updates, it's still difficult to program. Not sure how many times I had to reprogram this "wireless controller" after I unplugged it from a power source? Idk... maybe I just got a bad unit. Anyway, I can't wait to get rid of this for the AI director platform.

Deleted User 4

I see. Well, I haven't even done a firmware update yet out of the box. Need to get on that this week haha. Hmm, when I unplug mine and replug it, the schedules and everything is still saved and remains the same lol. Maybe you did get a bad unit ha.

Archived