SaltCritters.com

Mini Monster 38

BusterDB

English Bull Terrier. Best dog in the world, wouldn't own any other breed. I'm sure everyone thinks their dog is the best... but mine really is the best :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that is a nice looking dog alright. :)

Update on the tank?

Not much going on in the tank. Did a WC and glued down some frags. I'm trying to fill in the rock work on the right side with coral to mach the overcrowded left side. Debating moving some things around... might just wait until next week.

couple of shots from today via iphone

F051C807-3C34-4D10-BEE5-828F164390CE-115

6E957A07-531B-40B5-A316-B0E95B2B444D-115

Clown / Nem tank might actually be getting its first resident very soon. My wife is scoring big points this year with Phantom Clown birthday fish!

phantom-clownfish-group_zps66de09fd.jpg

• Like 2
Deleted User 4

Nice, love the new scape actually. Wouldn't mind keeping it like that.

Black phantom would look splendid in that tank man. Boy, have you ever thought of replacing the breeder with an ada mini L? Price running on ada mini L isn't too bad ($85) and then plus shipping ($20-30) on adana-usa.com.

Highly recommend it dude, they might raise the price soon. Adg shop already raised ada 60p price from $130 to $190 just couple days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I got bored last night and decided to make an imovie. So here is a movie of the gimmicky thunderstorm feature with the AI Vega. Looks pretty cool but hardly adds anything beneficial to the tank. This was all done from my iphone5. I'm amazed how easy this was to shoot, edit and post all from my phone. Only thing I cant figure out is how to embed the video in 1080 format...

• Like 1

Buster- great thread and thanks for the info. Looking a this setup now and was curious about the stand. You mentioned you had some issues with it. Is it noticeably top-heavy? Wondering if it's a safety issue with small kids around. Thanks for any thoughts you might have on that.

Thanks. Yep there were some issues with the stand out of the box. The predrilled holes to connect the top of the stand to the base were out of alignment. Wasn't a huge deal but a pain in the a$$ to have to drill new holes to align correctly. As for sturdiness, I do feel the stand is a bit top heavy. Side to side the tank is fine but I do worry about the tank tipping forward. The tank and the top of the stand hang about 3-4 inches over the base. I'm not sure what IM was thinking when they designed the stand. I have two boys (wild) and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me.

Here is what i'm talking about

B9C06BC4-FDB9-43FA-B12F-15AA58A27B52-408

Just picked these guys up today. Had my LFS order my Phantom to save on the shipping. They put a nice little order in from Sea&Reef and got a variety of clowns. I had planned to buy one Phantom but when I saw the DaVinci clowns, I knew I wasn't leaving without one.

797F81EE-D523-444B-9EFF-0E5A1D330D51-584

904A6B8C-8092-4382-B263-DD2CAF7B9BAD-584

A7F0FC66-F7B5-4925-9317-56845A049EE8-584

• Like 2

Thanks. Yep there were some issues with the stand out of the box. The predrilled holes to connect the top of the stand to the base were out of alignment. Wasn't a huge deal but a pain in the a$$ to have to drill new holes to align correctly. As for sturdiness, I do feel the stand is a bit top heavy. Side to side the tank is fine but I do worry about the tank tipping forward. The tank and the top of the stand hang about 3-4 inches over the base. I'm not sure what IM was thinking when they designed the stand. I have two boys (wild) and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me.

Here is what i'm talking about

B9C06BC4-FDB9-43FA-B12F-15AA58A27B52-408

Nice tank! I love that maxi mini :wub: what kind of coral is this^?

Thanks :D The coral above is a branching hammer. I moved it down to its current location that gets a little less flow. It really spreads out down there, taking a flatter oval shape.

Would love to put a bta in here for the clowns. This has been their spot since day one.

4B84EB5E-7F5D-419F-93F3-46A66071F722-763

Im considering buying a Nuvo 38 and i was wondering if its silent? From the looks of it, it only has 1 pump? And is there room for a tunze 9002 skimmer in the back?

My tank is in our family room and it is very quiet. The only thing I can hear is the MP10, which is only when everything else in the room is silent. The stock pump is rated at 476 gph and does an adequate job. I looked into the tunze skimmer before deciding to go with the new IM midsize skimmer. I can't really say if the 9002 will fit, but I believe I have seen it on another thread(not sure which one...possibly on3reef).

Thanks for the reply. So, i ordered a Nuvo 38 and got it today, but the damn thing had a big crack on the side, so now i have to wait for another one. Too bad, coz the nuvo is one sweet tank.

Oh man that's a bust! I can't believe how often I read about that happening. Who did you order through? Hopefully they get your replacement expidited quickly, we need some more IM 38 threads around here. Sounds like this was a shipping issue, but I will say IM has excellent customer service if you ever have issues w/ the tank.

Thanks I was really impressed with those guys. I'm going to get some better pics up soon with my camera. The spinstreams are completely silent and are a great feature for the tank.

Oh man that's a bust! I can't believe how often I read about that happening. Who did you order through? Hopefully they get your replacement expidited quickly, we need some more IM 38 threads around here. Sounds like this was a shipping issue, but I will say IM has excellent customer service if you ever have issues w/ the tank.

Im located in Europe, and i havent seen any Nuvo 38 here, so i just had to order one when i saw it was available. UPS delivered the tank, and the box was fine, but the tank wasnt. So the company i ordered from has made a damage package claim from UPS, but its gonna take a few days. From what ive been told, UPS is PITA when it comes to this. Sometimes they wont pay for the damage goods because the recipient signed for it. All i can do is wait until everything is settled, and it sucks.

Btw, how do you like the IM skimmer. Does it make a lot of noise?

Im located in Europe, and i havent seen any Nuvo 38 here, so i just had to order one when i saw it was available. UPS delivered the tank, and the box was fine, but the tank wasnt. So the company i ordered from has made a damage package claim from UPS, but its gonna take a few days. From what ive been told, UPS is PITA when it comes to this. Sometimes they wont pay for the damage goods because the recipient signed for it. All i can do is wait until everything is settled, and it sucks.

Btw, how do you like the IM skimmer. Does it make a lot of noise?

That sounds like a debacle. I have dealt with UPS on a few occasions and it is not a pleasant experience. Lots of red tape and it never get's a speedy resolution. Hope you get that worked out, the Mini 38 is a great tank.

The IM skimmer does a very good job. It took a good 2-3 weeks to dial it in, but now pulls out some good skimmate. The skimmer makes a little noise but its hardly noticeable unless you sit and listen for it.

Very nice tank! I'm looking at this exact setup except in Black, any chance you could post a pic of the tank with the hanging vega to,see what it looks like during the day?

Very nice tank! I'm looking at this exact setup except in Black, any chance you could post a pic of the tank with the hanging vega to,see what it looks like during the day?

Thanks! Here is a shot of the tank with the Vega on about 60%. If you were looking for more pictures of the tank, stand and light check out page 1, there should be a few full set up shots. Of course, after looking at this picture I don't think as close to the color / temp as I would like. It's a lot brighter and not quite as blue if you were to see it with your own eyes. Hope this helps.

5a9da2ba-c741-4eaf-abb1-ceac85ddbb6f_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Normally direct sunlight doesn't hit my tank, but this time of year I get about an hour of sunlight spilling through the window onto the tank. It looked kind of cool and I think the fish were digging it too. They were all on the same side of the tank catching a few rays.

I managed to get a few nice shots with my iphone.

5F46B2E0-2442-481E-A091-805012892F8F-272

1C50A53D-9827-430A-9857-DAAE093B02BA-272

6F97AAA5-7336-4ABF-B726-E0809B8F8536-272

2F9081E8-4C75-4D12-B22F-43061368B3BC-272

Went out to the LEAR frag swap last Saturday. Who knew the reefing scene was so happening in Cleveland? Got there 10mins after the doors opened and could barely move, the place was a mobbed. I heard almost a 1000 people showed up!

Anyway, after throwing a few elbows I made my way up to a few different vendors and scored some pretty sweet coral.

I went there with two goals: 1. Find a few exotic BTA's for my basement tank... which is going to be just nems and clowns.

2. Strawberry Shortcake Acro.... After seeing Asureefs I'm on a mission to find one.

Surprisingly I only saw a handful of BTA's but I did manage to score this one for only $30.

a68c224e-4642-4379-b158-5deaf455b790_zps

I missed out on the strawberry shortcake but I did manage to find some lemon lime shortcake (bottom right first pic) and nice little mellow yellow mini colony, blue tort, red planet and raspberry delight acro and a tubbs blue montipora stellata.

be715911-aff3-43b6-9b6c-143f69619852_zps

696ec3b6-f23a-4d46-8435-c4d4097eaf18_zps

13dc1ca8-be26-46d9-970e-4b5c6e483ce4_zps

Even thought I didn't find everything I was looking for, I managed to find some awesome deals and really nice coral. I did miss out on a few gems by the person right in front of me because the place was so friggin' packed. But I took the names of some vendors and have already tracked down a prized piece of orange crush that will be in my tank sometime soon

Archived