Coral Vue Hydros

Wall mounted European Anemone Breeding tank! (Yet another change in plans)

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Keep this one going too though! We wanna see the beautiful NPS tank too! =O

I will for sure :) I've wanted to do a tropical NPS tank for a long time, I even have a refrigerated auto feeder just sitting in my garage not being used. Not to mention I grow a ridiculous amount of my own phyto plankton and tigriopus californicus.

So I might as well right? Also I've been dying to buy some NPS stuff off our tropical wholesalers lists and now I have a reason :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fretfreak13

WOOHOO!! I'm excited for you. I dont have the paitence to keep feeding an parameters correct in a NPS tank.

Sadly, dendrophyllia and blueberry gorgs are by far my favorite corals. Please...please get a blueberry...lol Let me live through your tank!

AquaticEngineer

WOOHOO!! I'm excited for you. I dont have the paitence to keep feeding an parameters correct in a NPS tank.

Sadly, dendrophyllia and blueberry gorgs are by far my favorite corals. Please...please get a blueberry...lol Let me live through your tank!

Blueberry was one of the ones on the list :) Wholesale price was like $28 ;)

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

So yet another change up in the stocking of this tank :D

I was looking at my "empty" wall mounted tank the other day and noticed that the aggregating anemones and the plumose anemones that had been mistakenly left in the tank were reproducing!

The tank has been nothing but room temperature for almost a month now with it dipping into the 60's at night and as high as 80F during the day.

Needless to say I had figured it void of coldwater life at this point, but I underestimated the abilities of inter tidal animals to thrive :D

This got me thinking about something I had heard in the past about Beadlet Anemones reproducing at accelerated rates when moved into higher temperatures and also how many in the UK keep the Snakelocks anemones in their tropical tanks (some even have clownfish hosting in them!)

With this in mind, I am testing the waters so to speak with Actinia Equina, Anemonia Viridis, and Actinia Fragacea in a room temperature tank. They have been previously housed in 57F water, temperature acclimated over about an hour, and are now in water that is 78F at the momoment and showing no signs of ill effects. The average temperature of the house is 66-70F almost all year, so if they make it through the summer and start multiplying like I think they will than I will acclimate their spawn back into cooler waters.

fretfreak13

This tank just gets more awesome with every change of plans. lol

Never heard of snakelocks being a tropical keeper myself. Those are beautiful! I would love to have some clowns in one of those suckas!

• 2 weeks later...
Blubbernaut

Ugh, I forgot to mention earlier, but if you had a larger coldwater tank, you could've done a bay pipefish. I.... caught one today, and they're pretty cool looking.

• 3 months later...
AquaticEngineer

I used double stick velcro so I could take them off if need be.

The tank is actually now an Oregon native freshwater vivarium with native fish, plants, and amphibians from the creek next to my house :) I could never get the glass tank to cool enough for temperate marines.

Been really cool collecting the native freshwater Daces, sculpins, crayfish, snails, clams, ferns, mosses, newts etc with my oldest son :) We are even keeping a water skipper in there.

Its technically still a nano I guess, lol. Only has 6 gallons of water in it :D

fts_zps11265a3d.jpg

fts1_zps7dbd84ee.jpg

tank4_zpsa178f679.jpg

nativesculpinclose_zps9c15ec41.jpg

chub2_zpsbb1b6507.jpg

temporary_zpsdaa53df9.jpg

Chubs_zpsafd5ed3c.jpg

Freshwaternativejpg3_zps6452f164.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Those Roughskin Newts are sweet!

I LOVE them! I had a trio years ago and got rid of them when I had kids since the terrarium they were in was at child breaking into height and if ingested these newts are lethal.

So once I had a wall mounted tank that only I can reach into it was game on :)

I like it!!!

That is so funny & great you did that, I say that because I am also building a vivarium/paludarium. The silicone on my 180g tank started to turn loose & leak, so I scrapped it & am building a viv with the same footprint & 48" tall. I have thought they are so cool ever since I saw the first one. I'll post a link when I start a build thread on it (it will be on different board).

I like it!!!

That is so funny & great you did that, I say that because I am also building a vivarium/paludarium. The silicone on my 180g tank started to turn loose & leak, so I scrapped it & am building a viv with the same footprint & 48" tall. I have thought they are so cool ever since I saw the first one. I'll post a link when I start a build thread on it (it will be on different board).

Definitely post a link when you start the build Jim!

Archived