Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wall mounted European Anemone Breeding tank! (Yet another change in plans)

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

You need some of those cool pink pockadots fish monterey aquarium has in tanks

Hmmm, get me a scientific name and I bet I can get em ;) They sound awesome!

AquaticEngineer

Dont know the name but they have them in alot of exibits first floor seems to have alot of those cool fish

Was it this?

opah.gif

No its more like a damsel smaller then the cali damsel but way cooler and nicer pink body with gold spots and theres even a pink spots with whiteish body

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I would stick with Catalina gobies... I think they are awesome and mine loved 55 F degrees.

He was in 77 F at the LFS and when I acclimated him to my tank he literally became more lively.

My tank moved from 55 - 65 just like a tide pool and he did nicely.

Looking good! Glad to see you got it going! Love non-standard shaped tanks!

Couple dozen posts in one day. Wonder if that's some kinda a record?

The website for that chiller says it drops 10 degrees or so on 10gals. Very curious to see what temp it will hold for you.

AquaticEngineer

I figured with it being twice the power of a single iceprobe and my house temp running below 70 year round I should be able to get it into the low 60s no problem.

Its super easy :) Whatever side I am applying it to I lay flat so that I am working on a horizontal surface. I barricade the open end of the area with a piece of sponge to stop any spray foam from expanding where I dont want it. I pour rock salt on all the areas I dont want foam to be, like on the intake grates and near the front glass, then I start spraying foam. I use the "Touch N' Foam" black pond foam since its UV resistant and the cheapest :D I lay the foam thicker and thinner in some areas and let it expand in others then I lay down a first coat of rock salt over the whole area starting at the lowest points first otherwise if you dump a bunch on the thickest areas of foam it just expands in the opposite direction.

Once I've covered the whole area with a couple inches I give it a good press and then wait. You will get areas where the foam will expand up out of the rock salt since it wants to fill the weakest gaps naturally. I just dump on more rock salt and push it back down. After about 20-30 minutes its done expanding (if its not too thick) and I use a shop vac to suck out all the rock salt. After that you can use warm fresh water and the rest of the rock salt that was stuck to the foam will just melt off.

When you are done you get a pretty random shape and lots of small texture from the differnent sizes of and angles of the rock salt. You never really know what you will get, but its always pretty cool :D

Are you using this? I see on the can it says plant and fish safe, but I'm wondering if its okay for inverts too.

Capture-3_zps3af81020.jpg

How soon after spraying it do you put down the salt, and is that just a bag of water softener salt?

And does it adhere directly to the class or do you silicone it down?

AquaticEngineer

Are you using this? I see on the can it says plant and fish safe, but I'm wondering if its okay for inverts too.

Capture-3_zps3af81020.jpg

How soon after spraying it do you put down the salt, and is that just a bag of water softener salt?

And does it adhere directly to the class or do you silicone it down?

That's exactly what I an using :) I start dumping salt down as soon as I finish the area with foam and it starts expanding. Yes its is just regular water softening salt bought it at a feed store 50lbs for about $8. The foam is designed as an adhesive to hold pond rocks together so it sticks the glass just perfectly (also sticks to everything else, wear gloves and old clothes :) )

That's exactly what I an using :) I start dumping salt down as soon as I finish the area with foam and it starts expanding. Yes its is just regular water softening salt bought it at a feed store 50lbs for about $8. The foam is designed as an adhesive to hold pond rocks together so it sticks the glass just perfectly (also sticks to everything else, wear gloves and old clothes :) )

Lets say I wanted to make a removable rockwall that contoured to my overflow and return. Could I lay down plastic wrap inside the tank over the glass and overflow and foam and salt over the top of it?

My thought would be that when it dried I could just lift it out of the tank, then take my dremel and hollow out some sections in the back and epoxy in some super strong magnets. I of course would totally encapsulate the magnets in epoxy so they wouldn't rust in the water. Then I could just put magnets on the other side of the glass to hold the rockwall in place.

Hey Stu, I got an email from Daniel at Chillsolutions. He said our chillers should ship out tomorrow. I can't wait to see what kind off load this little chiller can pull. I got my fingers crossed on this one.

AquaticEngineer

Lets say I wanted to make a removable rockwall that contoured to my overflow and return. Could I lay down plastic wrap inside the tank over the glass and overflow and foam and salt over the top of it?

My thought would be that when it dried I could just lift it out of the tank, then take my dremel and hollow out some sections in the back and epoxy in some super strong magnets. I of course would totally encapsulate the magnets in epoxy so they wouldn't rust in the water. Then I could just put magnets on the other side of the glass to hold the rockwall in place.

That should work out just perfect for an option to make it removable.

AquaticEngineer

That's a pretty beastly tank!

I think you should do a surfperch. They're pretty cool, IMO.

I've had schools of shiner perch before. I brought in some rainbow perch from California for the local aquarium here, they are beautiful.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Any updates on the iceprobe? I'm curious to see it in action on this volume tank....

AquaticEngineer

Any updates on the iceprobe? I'm curious to see it in action on this volume tank....

Should be here tomorrow in the mail :D I did the exact measurement calculations of the tank I'll be using and it is 12.25 gallons when filled to the top. I will probably run it a little lower and then compensate for displacent and it should be more like 10.5 gallons of total water volume.

This makes me want to start a temperate tank...

Thats how it begins......then before you know it you've had 4 Giant Pacific Octopus and 30 Japanese Lumpsuckers in your garage, lol :lol:

AquaticEngineer

That's a pretty beastly tank!

I think you should do a surfperch. They're pretty cool, IMO.

That tank was a beast! It was 3ft tall made out of 3/4" acrylic, Got it for free because it looked like this when I picked it up, just a couple of holes in it ;)

IMG_20110604_185411.jpg

Blubbernaut

That tank was a beast! It was 3ft tall made out of 3/4" acrylic, Got it for free because it looked like this when I picked it up, just a couple of holes in it ;)

IMG_20110604_185411.jpg

Yeah, just a few. Shouldn't be problem....

AquaticEngineer

Yeah, just a few. Shouldn't be problem....

Used a lot of the holes for a closed loop and overflows, but I still had to patch 6 or 7 holes. Thats what gave me the idea to do the foam rock work, so that I could hide the patched holes and conceal the closed loop.

You can where two of the returns are on the full tank shot I showed of it stocked. I used native barnacles and clustered them on top of the return area to difuse the water and hide the return bulkheads.

AquaticEngineer

Mostly a photo update of the Chill Solutions chiller. Just got it in the mail today and hooked it up onto my Aquabella tank to stress test the chiller. Got it dialed down to 55 and hooked up the Reef Keeper with the temp probe on the opposite end of the tank as the chiller. Also been taking IR temp readings. Pics to see how its going now :)

Quickly setup to test, final placement will have the chiller mounted on the wall above the tank.

temporary_zps75234afa.jpg

temporary_zps08432db1.jpg

Here it is at start time:

temporary_zpsa843c126.jpg

temporary_zps627cbba1.jpg

temporary_zpsf9bfa3f2.jpg

Its at 65.7 right now as I type this. More photo updates tomorrow after work.

AquaticEngineer

Morning temp before I leave for the day, gonna be gone until 6pm tonight so I will see how low it can drop in the next 10 hours and then dial it back up to and see how well it will sustain a 58F temp.

LOL, I just realized I have my AM/PM backwards on the Reef Keeper, :blush:

temporary_zpsa429d9ce.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Just got an update from my wife that the tank has dropped into the 50's! Its down to 59.1 as of 9:30am today :D

Archived