ReefCleaners.org

Wall mounted European Anemone Breeding tank! (Yet another change in plans)

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That puppy wouldn't be the first to be adopted that's for sure. We wont even talk about those teeth. Looks like he could eat rocks if he wanted to.

Nudibranchs are so pretty, shame they only eat one thing. Makes them hard to keep for most of us. You of course have more options than most. Looking forward to seeing it done.

AquaticEngineer

I see those all the time diving! Where are you going to get enough of those to feed it?

I can collect up to 10 a day for personal use in Oregon :) Once I get some I will keep a separate colony of them going by feeding them anemones, and I will keep several more than I need in the tank with the Navanax. That way he will always have food, I will always have backup, they will reproduce in both the "food tank" and the display tank, and if I run out I can always go get more :)

I will probably try feeding him these as well since I see them just as often and they eat colonial plumose anemones.

aeolidia2.jpg

That puppy wouldn't be the first to be adopted that's for sure. We wont even talk about those teeth. Looks like he could eat rocks if he wanted to.

Nudibranchs are so pretty, shame they only eat one thing. Makes them hard to keep for most of us. You of course have more options than most. Looking forward to seeing it done.

I've always wanted to keep the coldwater nudibranchs and dorids, I'm sure the tank will be an ongoing evolution, but whats the fun in trying something if you already know its going to work right ;)

Very cool! I love that you're going to be keeping a little food chain going. I can't wait to see all of that in your tank!

AquaticEngineer

the funny thing is that I kind of planned on making sure the tank would be suitable for nudibranchs from the beginning, but also planned on it for sure being a NPS coldwater tank. So for lighting I went with the RGB LED lights so that I could play around with the colors over the different nudibranchs other than just white and blue :)

It'll be cool to see the nudibranchs under red lights for sure.

I agree! I'm excited to see photos of them under different lights. I love seeing nudibranchs while diving and they're my favorite macro subject for underwater photography. I actually have a photo on my wall of the ones you plan to use as food :lol: I'm glad someone has the means to maintain nudibranchs. I will definitely be following along.

AquaticEngineer

fininshed all the wiring and ran power to the garage today. Got the chillers mounted and running.

one of the benefits of having several hundred gallons of coldwater tanks in my garage is that 12 gallons of cycled water is pretty easy to come by :)

tank is up and running, putting livestock in right now.

AquaticEngineer

Nice little white crab.

Its one of the juvenile colorations of the Red Rock Crab (Cancer productus).

fretfreak13

How on EARTH have I missed this thread?! This is SOOOO cool! Subscribed!

Any idea where one can get a wall tank like that?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Stu,

It looks very nice! I like the way you routed the chillers up there. Did I miss how much lower you dropped the tank with the introduction of the second chiller?

AquaticEngineer

How on EARTH have I missed this thread?! This is SOOOO cool! Subscribed!

Any idea where one can get a wall tank like that?

The company I got mine from is called Aquabella.

Stu,

It looks very nice! I like the way you routed the chillers up there. Did I miss how much lower you dropped the tank with the introduction of the second chiller?

Didn't drop it as much as I had hoped. Its mostly because its got that huge pane of glass on the front of the tank with zero insulation.

So its just a giant area for thermal loss/gain.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Stu,

Interesting about the 2nd chiller, this might leave room for me to venture into examining one of them onto my insulated acrylic system....

AquaticEngineer

With a better insulated tank they will work much better. I still may insulate the front glass by adding a dual pane to it and see how much that helps.

I was going to see how well one of them does on an 8 gallon 1/2" acrylic tank also.

AquaticEngineer

Well, trial number one with the nudibrachs I collected on sunday was interesting. Tried several different species, but none took to the tank for longer than a day. Think I hit a chain reaction of die-off after the first nudibranchs kicked it.

Otherwise, the tank is doing really well :D

Still have the aggregating anemones from the initial startup, have a couple sitka shrimp, a juvenile red rock, and the porcelain crabs. Also added in dime size painted anemone and about 5 moonglow anemones. One of which is bright orange :)

Here is one of the clown nudibranchs I had.

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Stuwobbe/media/temporary_zps8fb36bf7.jpg.html'>temporary_zps8fb36bf7.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Pics of the new nems!

This is a pic I took a while back, but the new moonglows I got have the exact same coloration :)

Moonglow_Anemone_Orange_1_1024x1024.jpg?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Stu,

From the knowledge that I picked up during my dives in Monterey CA, I was told that Nudi's only do best in their ocean. They are so selective to certain types of flora and fauna it is very difficult and next to impossible to keep them captive.

It is what I was told and I have made so many dives and always seen them around certain corals or algae.

They are beautiful to watch and play such an important role in the ocean. I wish they would have worked in your tank but I am glad you have other beautiful anemones to choose from.

I loved my moonglow I recall that it spawned like crazy in my tank and the fishes loved the free eggs it dispersed.

AquaticEngineer

I'm still gonna try and keep some kind of coldwater nudibranchs, just gotta narrow it down. I know I could sustain a couple of the anemone eating species, and I may bring in some dward sea hares from the UK some time.

Gotta make sure I have a solid food supply for the Navanax before I bring him in :)

AquaticEngineer

Got myself a few other coldwater projects going right now, so I decided to pull the chillers off of this tank. Good thing I plumbed them so I could take them off later, lol.

Instead since this tank has such a great viewing area and a cross current gyre flow to it, I'm going to turn it into an NPS gorgonian based tank.

(I'm still gonna get the Navinax though, he's just going into the other tank that I set up........New thread coming soon ;) )

Archived