Coral Vue Hydros

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spectacular tank! I might eventually put some coral in my own NC, but I'm gonna take things slow for now.

Thanks, that's always a good idea. You should make a thread for your tank when you start putting things in it :)

How you you like the Aqueon 500 powerhead? Is it to much for this small of a tank or do you think it's just right?

I think it's great, it puts out just enough flow, not too much or too little, and it's completely silent.

• 1 month later...
joel sandoman

Beautiful tank. I am considering a mystery wrasse as the last fish for my 30g. I have been hearing how aggressive they are. Have you had any issues? And did you put him in last?

Beautiful tank. I am considering a mystery wrasse as the last fish for my 30g. I have been hearing how aggressive they are. Have you had any issues? And did you put him in last?

Thank you :) my mystery wrasse was the first fish in my tank along with one of my clownfish, as I had them in my previous tank prior to setting this one up. My wrasse hasn't shown any signs of aggression except when I added my hogfish, for the first few days he'd nip at the new guy if he got too close but then just decided to leave him alone I guess. I don't know if he's a rare case because I've heard mystery wrasses can be kind of aggressive, but mine is docile and awesome. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I know! I'm sorry I keep forgetting to update. Some things have happened in the past month or so with my tank, my mycedium decided to start receding and I luckily was able to save a piece of it before it died. Also, my cleaner shrimp was eaten by my hogfish one morning right after it molted. I felt so bad for it!! My zoanthids near the bottom of my tank (I was devastated) also decided to close up and pretty much wither away. So now i have glued some other zoanthids that i had placed in other parts of my tank down there, hoping they'll take to that spot.

I wasn't able to make it to MAX because it was my grandma's birthday, but i'm not too sad about it. I have hardly anymore room for anything! Oh, and my dendro is sprouting a new head!

Here's a picture of my tank now:

jfzz8o.jpg

16jnin6.jpg

Yay, update.

Your alveopora still looks better than my new alveopora. :) Sorry about the zoas. I had 2 frags of zoas, reddish with a green mouth. The ones in my 40 decided to close up and melt away. Some ones in my 46 (the old 20) are doing fine. Some things remain a mystery I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same tank just set it up 1 week ago with live sand and live rock from a display tank at my lfs. I hope someday to have my tank look half as good as yours and i will be thrilled. do you use the wavemaker that came with it? if so what setting do you have it on?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the nice comments!! Sorry I haven't been on here in a while, been busy with other things in life :P Here's a FTS from today! My tank is now almost 14 months old!

Things have grown out a lot, I haven't bought any new corals because I don't have enough room really, I just trade now and then with some friends. I added a yellowtail damsel because i was feeling impulsive and I'm not too worried about it being aggressive with my fish, I highly doubt they'll take any crap from him/her. :)

post-76908-0-41830500-1371600214_thumb.jpg

I'm still jelly of that gold torch......

Haha, thank you. :) it has almost 3 heads now!

I didn't think it would be doing so well with my clownfish hosting in it 24/7, but it doesn't seem to mid one bit

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful tank! How much live rock is in there? I have the same tank as yours. When I started it 2 months ago, I bought 32 pounds of live rock which seems to take up a lot of room in the tank. Most tanks I've seen, including yours, don't seem to have nearly the amount of rock I have. Some owners have even stated they have 30+ pounds of LR but still have tons of room in their tank. Maybe the rock I purchased isn't as dense as others, or maybe the amount I received is actually more than 32 pounds. I wouldn't mind taking some of my rock out but don't want to risk the quality of the system.

jedimasterben

Beautiful tank! How much live rock is in there? I have the same tank as yours. When I started it 2 months ago, I bought 32 pounds of live rock which seems to take up a lot of room in the tank. Most tanks I've seen, including yours, don't seem to have nearly the amount of rock I have. Some owners have even stated they have 30+ pounds of LR but still have tons of room in their tank. Maybe the rock I purchased isn't as dense as others, or maybe the amount I received is actually more than 32 pounds. I wouldn't mind taking some of my rock out but don't want to risk the quality of the system.

You only need a few pounds of porous rock to have a more than adequate biofilter. The 'normal' recommendations for 1-2 pounds per gallon were made up by stores selling rock for $7-15 per pound. If they had that much rock in their tank, then it was extremely dense and not something you'd want to use in a tank.

You only need a few pounds of porous rock to have a more than adequate biofilter. The 'normal' recommendations for 1-2 pounds per gallon were made up by stores selling rock for $7-15 per pound. If they had that much rock in their tank, then it was extremely dense and not something you'd want to use in a tank.

Not really what I wanted to hear, but had a strong feeling that was the case. Just from the volume of my LR, I'm guessing mine is porous. I may start pulling some out piece by piece. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks! I don't know exactly how many lbs. I have in my tank because most of it was dry rock that my ex boyfriend gave to me when i was setting up my tank, he had boxes upon boxes of it and I just took my pick :P If i had to guess I'd say probably about ~20-25 pounds. But like jedimasterben said you could get away with less than that. Some of my rock is porous and some is not, i don't really know if that matters or not haha

Also here's a recent video of my tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekc1_dJpkqM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU8OHT1ENL9HpaGzB0mkwy5w

Thanks! I don't know exactly how many lbs. I have in my tank because most of it was dry rock that my ex boyfriend gave to me when i was setting up my tank, he had boxes upon boxes of it and I just took my pick :P If i had to guess I'd say probably about ~20-25 pounds. But like jedimasterben said you could get away with less than that. Some of my rock is porous and some is not, i don't really know if that matters or not haha

Also here's a recent video of my tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekc1_dJpkqM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU8OHT1ENL9HpaGzB0mkwy5w

Thanks for the reply. I think I will slowly start removing some of my LR. I don't like the crowded feel to my current scape.

Has your torch always been in that location? I would like to get one as well and just want to plan the new scape.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will slowly start removing some of my LR. I don't like the crowded feel to my current scape.

Has your torch always been in that location? I would like to get one as well and just want to plan the new scape.

Yes I placed it there when I set up my tank almost 14 months ago and haven't moved it since. It's doing very well up high near the light and doesn't seem to mind my clownfish hosting it

Yes I placed it there when I set up my tank almost 14 months ago and haven't moved it since. It's doing very well up high near the light and doesn't seem to mind my clownfish hosting it

When I bought the tank, I did so thinking the LEDs could not really support corals other than mushrooms and zoas. You showed me I was completely wrong! Looks like I'll be adding a torch and alveopora in the near future. My aspirations have gone up a lot since finding your tank thread. Thanks again!

Archived