Innovative Marine Aquariums

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What camera are you using for these pictures? Colors look really good without being surreal.

Nice to see a tank looking this good without $500+ in vortechs and controllers. I wouldn't think you would need the chiller with the LED's.

Great looking tank!!!

Thank you :)

What camera are you using for these pictures? Colors look really good without being surreal.

Nice to see a tank looking this good without $500+ in vortechs and controllers. I wouldn't think you would need the chiller with the LED's.

I'm using my iPhone 4S on all my pictures, it has a seriously amazing camera for just a phone! And I normally wouldn't, but my room gets dreadfully hot in the summer even with the A/C on, so my tank would have been 85 degrees without a chiller.

You are just stupid NOT to have a controller if you have a reef tank. I used to not believe in them until my heater stuck, cracked, and nuked my tank. $2400+ gone in a few hours. A controller is a good backup to a $20-$50 heater that could and probably will fail at one point.

We need more tank pictures!

Beautiful setup (that gold torch, wow - I can't wait until mine looks like that). I like coming across other college tanks. It's hard enough keeping a tank looking this good under normal circumstances, but to do it while in college is even more impressive to me. I also like your simple setup - that's kind of what I'm going for on my new build.

+1

• Like 1

You are just stupid NOT to have a controller if you have a reef tank. I used to not believe in them until my heater stuck, cracked, and nuked my tank. $2400+ gone in a few hours. A controller is a good backup to a $20-$50 heater that could and probably will fail at one point.

I do agree with you there, but i have two heaters running incase one fails, that's about the extent of my backup. My tank is pretty low-tech, there's not much that could go wrong besides a heater/chiller malfunction or my ATO going crazy. Honestly, it's not in my budget to buy expensive controllers for my tank at the moment, so I understand the risk I'm taking.

I'll post some more pictures soon! I'll try for tomorrow after I get off work.

Beautiful setup (that gold torch, wow - I can't wait until mine looks like that). I like coming across other college tanks. It's hard enough keeping a tank looking this good under normal circumstances, but to do it while in college is even more impressive to me. I also like your simple setup - that's kind of what I'm going for on my new build.

+1

Thank you! My gold torch used to be a prettier color, but I think I might have it too close to the light because it's fading to a less gold color. But hey, I got a great price on it so I'm not fretting about what color it is. It adds nice movement to the tank :) Not to mention my clownfish won't leave it! And thank you, all I do is algae the glass and do my 2 gallon water change 2x a week. I also add KH buffer every couple days since I have trouble keeping it above 8. I think the less expensive equipment you have (vortechs, skimmers) the more rewarding it is to be able to keep things alive! You know you're doing something right ;) Plus, it shows people who want to get into the hobby but are afraid of the cost that it's possible to keep a reef tank without all the extras.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I do agree with you there, but i have two heaters running incase one fails, that's about the extent of my backup.

When a heater fails, it fails open, not closed - meaning it goes to 100% power.

:wacko: Good to know, should i take out one of them, then? I added another one because after a water change a couple months ago, after i turned everything back on, the light on my heater (green if it's on and red if it's heating the water) didn't light up at all. So I freaked out and put another heater in there incase it fails again.

jedimasterben

I would only use one of them. You have a chiller, which will help in the eventual failure (all heaters fail, just the way it goes unfortunately), so you are among the minority that do have a backup plan in place, though you probably didn't realize it. :)

I would only use one of them. You have a chiller, which will help in the eventual failure (all heaters fail, just the way it goes unfortunately), so you are among the minority that do have a backup plan in place, though you probably didn't realize it. :)

Thanks for the advice! My chiller isn't actually plugged in right now, I took it out and stored it away for the winter (or whatever you'd call it here in L.A.) I'll probably get it out around May, I hope my heater can hold out until then haha.

Thank you! My gold torch used to be a prettier color, but I think I might have it too close to the light because it's fading to a less gold color. But hey, I got a great price on it so I'm not fretting about what color it is. It adds nice movement to the tank :) Not to mention my clownfish won't leave it! And thank you, all I do is algae the glass and do my 2 gallon water change 2x a week. I also add KH buffer every couple days since I have trouble keeping it above 8. I think the less expensive equipment you have (vortechs, skimmers) the more rewarding it is to be able to keep things alive! You know you're doing something right ;) Plus, it shows people who want to get into the hobby but are afraid of the cost that it's possible to keep a reef tank without all the extras.

Yeah really, keep it simple and let the tank do its thing. It's funny because your maintenance routine is exactly what I did on my last build - x2 water changes a week and a little bit of KH dosing. No skimmer, no sump, etc (but I did and do still have a Vortech :P ) - and that tank was running healthy for a year before I broke it down to start on my new one.

Since you live in LA, I have to ask, have you ever been to Vivid Aquariums? If it's as nice as the pictures show in person, then I feel like it'd be worth the 10 hour drive down there just to check it out and buy some stuff one weekend.

Haha yes actually, I used to work at Vivid Aquariums. Dave is a great guy and they have a lot of nice corals. I'd definitely say take a day trip here and check it out! Vivid has great coral selection, while the other LFS, Aquarium City, always has a bunch of fish for really good prices, they often have some more rare fish like Naoko (spelling?) fairy wrasses and rhomboid wrasses

Wow I'm jealous. That's sick. I might do that over spring break.

Yeah you should, those are the 2 main fish stores out here besides down in Orange County. Where are you from??

I live in the north bay area. I'm finishing my last semester of college up here. The only problem is there are no good LFSs for 2 hours in every direction, so I usually just end up ordering from Vivid's website. I bet what they have on their website is less than 10% of everything they have in stock in the store, which is why I'd like to go in person.

I live in the north bay area. I'm finishing my last semester of college up here. The only problem is there are no good LFSs for 2 hours in every direction, so I usually just end up ordering from Vivid's website. I bet what they have on their website is less than 10% of everything they have in stock in the store, which is why I'd like to go in person.

Ah that sucks. Yeah, vivid's WYSIWYG hardly touches on how much coral that store has. You should most definitely check it out!

Picture time! =D

Just took these now. The diatoms on my sand are slowly going away, I've been feeding much less and it's helped.

Enjoy!

IMG_6053_zpsc2727d52.jpg

IMG_6052_zps98f7a726.jpg

IMG_6054_zps950a8eaf.jpg

IMG_6055_zps927f0033.jpg

IMG_6056_zps59e68928.jpg

IMG_6057_zpsfd449a0f.jpg

IMG_6058_zps46e318e6.jpg

• Like 1
Me likey! :) How's school going?

Thank you :) school is good! I got straight A's again last semester, organic chem ain't got nothin on me ;) and this semester is looking great as well! I wish I could just get my CRNA already haha

Looks beautiful! Have you had any issues with feeding your Mandarin?

Thanks! Actually I forgot to mention, my mandarin was doing really well for a couple months but slowly started to get skinnier and skinnier. I just can't afford to buy bottles of pods that cost more than he did in the first place, so unfortunately he passed away. It's the biggest mistake I've made and I will forever tell people NOT to buy any mandarin for a tank less than 60 gallons.

So happy to see more pictures.. looks great, as usual.

organic chem ain't got nothin on me ;)

I've never had to memorize more material than when I took o-chem... so many reactions :wacko:

Pictures look great by the way!

I've never had to memorize more material than when I took o-chem... so many reactions :wacko:

Pictures look great by the way!

Yeah! The worst was the acetal/hemiacetal mechanisms. So much to memorize I'm glad it's over. But at the same time I love chemistry. I'm weird :P

And thanks! Things are coming along

Archived