Innovative Marine Aquariums

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

jedimasterben
I've been having a problem with diatoms on my sand, i initially thought they were dinos but i'm not too sure anymore, what do you think??

I am also getting small patches of cyano in some places, not too worried though. I used a low range Hana phosphate checker and my PO4 was at .07, so it could use some improvement but it's not terrible.

Actually, since you have stony corals, that much phosphate is bad. Calcification is inhibited when phosphate reaches 0.03ppm, so I'd definitely start running some phosphate media, GFO or Phosguard and keep it away, the cyano will die out with no phosphate to feed on. You can also use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide sprayed directly onto the cyano to kill that part immediately, then siphon that part out.

And lookin' gooooooooodddd. B)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think apple messed up and put a DSLR in your iPhone ;)

That pic of your dendro is freakin awesome.

Haha, I wish! The camera for the 4S is pretty amazing, it's fun to do macro shots with it! And thank you!

Looks fantastic!!!! I seriously don't think there is a sweeter gift than a YCG. Too adorable :wub:

I agree! I told him I really wanted one and was thinking of buying one and a few days later I came home from class and found a bag with 2 YCGs floating in my tank <3

Samntha,

I think your setup looks amazing. I have recently started planning a jbj 28 gallon build since I can get one extremely cheap due to the fact that the light fixture no longer works. My current plan is to retrofit the hood with Rapid LED's retro kit. Your thread has given me a lot of insight and ideas!

Thank you! I think that would make for a great tank, you should do it. I'm glad my tank could help with ideas!

Hello, your tank is still looking great. Sorry to hear about the bloom, it's probably not a big deal; since you just added two new fish your bacteria just need a chance to catch up. I would keep doing the regular maintenance and maybe throw in an extra small water change midweek just to stay on top of things. I would expect a minor bloom to die back on its own in a week or so.

Keep up the good work! :)

Yeah, it's been a few weeks already and it's not terrible but not going away as quickly as I'd like! It's only on the sand so it's not a huge deal. I added some red slime remover today just to get rid of the little cyano i have. I already do 2 water changes a week so I think i'm good on that, and i don't feed a whole lot so I guess time will tell! and thank you!

Great pics and a nice looking tank.

Actually, since you have stony corals, that much phosphate is bad. Calcification is inhibited when phosphate reaches 0.03ppm, so I'd definitely start running some phosphate media, GFO or Phosguard and keep it away, the cyano will die out with no phosphate to feed on. You can also use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide sprayed directly onto the cyano to kill that part immediately, then siphon that part out.

And lookin' gooooooooodddd. B)

Thanks for the advice. :) I actually have been running Phosguard and replace it maybe every week and a half? Before I last tested my PO4, it was at .14 so it's gone down significantly and I'm still working on it. My boyfriend and I have been dealing with his phosphate problem since his tank is mostly acros. I gave him my bottle of Phosphat-E (lanthanum chloride?) and it's worked wonders for him, his PO4 went from ~.17 to undetectable over the course of a few weeks.

As always....very purdy. Also, nice BF!

Thanks! He is pretty nice ;)

Tank looks fantastic. I'm still jealous of the alveopora, yours is better looking than mine. :)

thank you :) It's doing much better than I thought! I have always heard about alveoporas and gonioporas doing well for like a year and then mysteriously dying. Luckily, that hasn't happened to either of mine yet and my alveopora is almost a year old now in my tank (it was in my 8 gallon before this tank).

Beautiful tank. YCG is too cute! BF is a keeper too. :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I love it! It hasn't eaten yet and i've had it over a week now, should I be worried or just wait??

Incredible tank you have some amazing corals let me know if you ever frag them

Thankyou! I will let you know

On another note, I just got my grades and I have now gotten a 4.0 GPA for my second semester in a row! Organic chem and biochem ain't got nothin' on me!!

Soo excited to apply to the nursing program this summer. :)

On another note, I just got my grades and I have now gotten a 4.0 GPA for my second semester in a row! Organic chem and biochem ain't got nothin' on me!!
Soo excited to apply to the nursing program this summer. :)

Congrats on the 4.0, maybe doctor is in your future? :)

Congrats on the 4.0, maybe doctor is in your future? :)

Haha, i wish :) I'm really hoping to be a nurse anesthetist. If that fails for some reason, my plan B is a nurse practitioner.

This is an amazing tank!

pic heavy thread ftw.

Thank you! More pics coming right now in fact! :D

My boyfriend has a really nice camera and underwater housing he uses for diving and taking pictures of fish in Hawaii every summer, so I asked him to bring it over and take some underwater pics of my tank, the pictures actually turned out pretty nice! Check it out :)

IMG_1306_zps1f3cafff.jpg

IMG_1342_zps37f27675.jpg

IMG_1301_zpsc404e97e.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsa3a2196d.jpg

IMG_1281_zpsd97b160d.jpg

IMG_1264_zpsdb97fc55.jpg

IMG_1259_zps3cee7989.jpg

IMG_1255_zpsfb9df2ba.jpg

IMG_1247_zps3abd7eee.jpg

IMG_1246_zps196627ff.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsb6aae01f.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsdf8760d9.jpg

IMG_1308_zps843b163d.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsb08515bd.jpg

IMG_1332_zps1ac423ba.jpg

IMG_1365_zpse9a17b5f.jpg

IMG_1368_zps626e9e51.jpg

Sorry about how washed out the pictures look, they look really nice in iPhoto and for some reason Photobucket makes them look like crap!! Anyways, enjoy!! :)

• Like 3

The pictures look great!!!! How's that adorable little clown goby doing?

Thanks!! Some came out a little blurry, but it's the first time we tried this in my tank. There's room for improvement next time :) I haven't seen my little goby in a few days, I'm wondering if something happened to it :/

Jessy-Ray: It's not letting me quote for some reason, but I still haven't seen the YCG! :( I'm starting to think she/he is a goner. It wasn't eating anyways. :( Oh well.

LadyBug: Thanks!! It's a nice coral :) But it's tentacles look a little funky sometimes. They're like curly and weird in the morning and gradually start to look a little more normal throughout the day haha.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Happy New Year to you :)

Sorry about the YCG. The bigger the clown goby, the better...in my experience. I've tried them a few times. The most success I had was with a nice big fat and healthy one, to begin with. I still ended up losing it though. Not sure what happened as it was eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you :)

Sorry about the YCG. The bigger the clown goby, the better...in my experience. I've tried them a few times. The most success I had was with a nice big fat and healthy one, to begin with. I still ended up losing it though. Not sure what happened as it was eating.

Thank you :) I still haven't found him/her, guessing it's gone for good. It's okay, though. It just means less bioload on my tank (trying to think of the glass half full). Maybe if I ever set up my 8 gallon IM Nuvo I'll buy a citron clown goby or something, the only thing stopping me is how HOT my room gets in the summer months, for some reason the AC doesn't reach my room that well :( So, I'm just worried of the water getting way too warm and everything dying.

I can't decide which is more beautiful You or Your Tank.. ;) I'm going to be safe and say both..lol any updates ?

Haha thank you, don't make me blush ;) I am due for an update for sure! Possibly tomorrow, I start up my new semester on Monday...excited to get closer to getting my nursing degree!

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank is looking great! Good luck with the new semester.

Thank you!!

Sorry I've been lacking on updates. Nothing too drastic has happened, just still the occasional outbreak of diatoms on the sand. My nitrates were between 5ppm-10ppm, so I'm cutting back on the feeding. It's just so hard not to feed my fish when they come up to the glass and beg for food!

Here's a few FTS from today:

f1b7fm.jpg

2vb32hj.jpg

33kci6q.jpg

• Like 3

Nice to see some more pics! :)

Thanks! :) I have been meaning to take update for a while, but just have gotten caught up with school and work

Also, as you can see, the blue waving hand polyps on the top rock are spreading like a weed and I can't do anything about it :( I guess I'll just have to live with it..they don't look THAT bad I suppose :unsure:

Oh my coral... your tank is beautiful. Awesome, scaping, awesome pictures. This is truly an inspiration to me as I am just starting out with salt water. This thread is made of win!

Archived