Innovative Marine Aquariums

Schreiba's 83g Miracles Rimless [40x24x20]

teamschreiba

am i the only one thats not feeling the canopy?

i much rather have a sleek looking fixture than a box above a tank.

its meh for me. i mean dont get me wrong its sick but i the an ati fixture over this would be amazing.

i do have to give point for going against the curve though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am i the only one thats not feeling the canopy?

i much rather have a sleek looking fixture than a box above a tank.

To each their own I guess! But the purpose was that I really wanted MH + VHO lighting so that was the only real choice. It also allows me to now add any LED's, etc. that I want.

i am usually not a fan of canopies, but this one is definitely done RIGHT. It also leaves a lot of options for upgrades, adding supplemental led strips etc.. while keeping a tidy look.

Thanks JDH! That's exactly what I was going for. I also tried to make it as thin as possible without having the halide showing out the top.

Wow tank and canopy look amazing man, really!

Thanks MGD, I appreciate it!

Looking great. I am not a fan of canopies but I would hang that one above my tank right now. Very nice work!

Thanks urbaneks! I really tried to get away from the standard canopy look because I'm not really a fan of them either.

its meh for me. i mean dont get me wrong its sick but i the an ati fixture over this would be amazing.

i do have to give point for going against the curve though.

No worries, I completely understand how it's not for everyone especially since with most nano reefs a sleek LED or T5 light fixture does look much better.

Wow! I'm really digging that canopy! We need moRe pics!

Thanks mpsti05! I'll try and take some more this weekend :happy:

• Like 1

No worries, I completely understand how it's not for everyone especially since with most nano reefs a sleek LED or T5 light fixture does look much better.

its growing on me though.

whats all under there again?

its growing on me though.

whats all under there again?

;) Its a 250W LumenMax Elite pendant with a 20k Radium Bulb powered by a Icecap Ballast. I also have 2 UV Super Actinic VHO bulbs powered by an ARO AS220 Ballast. I'm definitely going to need to add something else to the fixture though since the rock on the left hand side is kind of dark. I'm considering a PAR38 bulb or the smallest kessil spotlight.

;) Its a 250W LumenMax Elite pendant with a 20k Radium Bulb powered by a Icecap Ballast. I also have 2 UV Super Actinic VHO bulbs powered by an ARO AS220 Ballast. I'm definitely going to need to add something else to the fixture though since the rock on the left hand side is kind of dark. I'm considering a PAR38 bulb or the smallest kessil spotlight.

Nice! Reminds me of those amazing Japanese reef tanks :)

Nice! Reminds me of those amazing Japanese reef tanks :)

Thanks! That's quite a compliment considering how nice some of those tanks are. I still have a ways to go :P

It's all about taking it slow. Haha, I was trying to think of something wise to say, but have nothing lol.

I find it so interesting how the Japanese have so many different types/spectrums of lights and spotlight, and it just works. It's truly amazing.

Plus I can't get enough of the "barn doors" on lgihts. OMG I melt.

It's all about taking it slow. Haha, I was trying to think of something wise to say, but have nothing lol.

I find it so interesting how the Japanese have so many different types/spectrums of lights and spotlight, and it just works. It's truly amazing.

Plus I can't get enough of the "barn doors" on lgihts. OMG I melt.

Haha yeah I know, patience is key in reefing. And yeah the barn doors are really cool :happy:

Your work is incredible. First that beautiful ADA and now this, which I assume will be as nice if not better. Very good work on the canopy too.

• Like 1

Your work is incredible. First that beautiful ADA and now this, which I assume will be as nice if not better. Very good work on the canopy too.

Thanks VABumpkin, I really appreciate that! :welcome: to N-R too!

• Like 1

Been nearly a week... Any updates? :D

Yep!I got some more work done last weekend so I'll try and sum it up in parts:

Cabinet: I finished up the side door on the cabinet so it looks pretty complete. I might add some paneling in the back and wall-side to bring the noise level down but it is cosmetically complete. Also transferred over all the electronics and mounted them on the inside of the left side of the cabinet. I also added back my TLF Phosban reactor with ROX carbon to try and clear up the water and remove inorganics.

Livestock: I visited one of my LFS and picked up some snails and another small barlett's anthias to make a trio :happy: I think I'm going to transfer over the remaining corals today and tomorrow and finish taking down the 60-f. It makes me sad to see the little tank go but I know there's no way I could provide enough attention to both of them to keep them both thriving.

Lighting: I've also been giving more consideration to adding some DIY leds to my fixture, particularly looking at this and this. With some small heatsinks, I plan on placing most of them on the left side to brighten up that rock but a few on the right side as well. What do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for new pics!

I'll try and get another one up soon although not much has changed. I did buy a 12 LED dimmable kit from Rapid LED and all I have left to do is install them in the fixture :happy:

This is gonna look killer once filled. :)

+1

Thanks Christine and Asureef! I did some tests today and noticed my alk has already dropped considerably and phosphates are a little high so once I can get those in check it'll be time to start stocking up with some SPS :D

Awesome tank!!!!

Regarding the LED's, I'd go with a par38 from ledtric when they come back in stock. It'll be cheaper and give much better color than those kits.

Awesome tank!!!!

Regarding the LED's, I'd go with a par38 from ledtric when they come back in stock. It'll be cheaper and give much better color than those kits.

I already bought the RapidLED kit and plan on installing it in my canopy tomorrow so hopefully it looks okay! I was never too crazy about the PAR38 bulbs because they never worked all that well for me but maybe the newer ones are better.

Post pics once you have that kit installed :)

I got the kit installed yesterday (took most of the day) but haven't got a chance to add the 80 degree lenses yet. Once I get those on I'll definitely take some pictures!

I know it's not the FTS you guys have been asking for but it is a new shot (only VHOs on) :P

8516134425_91fb48b17e_z.jpg
Picked this and a new milli up a few weeks ago from Greenwich Aquaria. These acros seem to be doing much better than the acros I transferred over from my 60f. Although my pink pocci, green birdsnest, pink stylo, elkhorn monti, and green psammacora all are looking a million times better than they ever looked in the 60f. I wonder if the acros just took too much a shock from being dipped/quarantined for red bugs to back in the 60f with no sump to this tank.
Once I see some new growth and continued good color from these two new frags, it's going to be SPS shopping time for me :D

Archived