Pod Your Reef

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

Here is the semi complete skimmer. The plumbing is schedule 40. 3/4" for the injector reduced down to 1/2". The outlet is 1/2". The skimate drain is a 1/2" elbow to barb fitting. I still need to drill an air hole and buy/plumb the pump.

skimmer.sized.jpg

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertheradar

Uh Oh, FYI dedfish: Marine Goop is not aquarium safe...read the back of the package...lower left hand corner. If I might suggest...I have heat-bent "u" channels out of acrylic for the outlets on these, but the best result has been with using 1" acrylic tubing that you can just bond like a normal piece of plexi. Much stronger bond and easy to do. I have a few 12" pieces of the stuff that I just swipe across the table saw every once and a while and make 1" long pieces to use. I posted pics of how to make this outlet back on pages 5 and 10 if you need to see it.

it also means you dont have to stick the pipe inside the skimmer...and your outlet channel can be as narrow as you like. I see your outlet channel is 3/4" wide because it needs to accomidate the PVC being stuck in it...using the acrylic pipe stuck to the outside you can make this channel as narrow as 3/8"...leaving more room for important things like foam risers and injection chambers...

UTR...most companies will print that on the label to prevent idiots using it to actually make aquariums out of. Silicone II from GE says the same thing but many many people use it for aquarium use. Before I decided to use goop I read as much information from people who had used it as I could find. No one reported any ill effects. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm taking my chnces with this one.

The drain is made by using a 1/2" threaded to slip fitting. I drilled a hole big enough to get the smaller threaded part through and just used goop to seal it. The return area is 3/4" wide, but with the size of this I wouldn't be comfortable with making it any more narrow.

Thanks for the tips and all the time you've spent on this design. I will let you know how it works as soon as I get a decent pump for it.

Undertheradar

You do have a point, but my concern is that for a long time GOOP was aquarium safe...until a few years ago when they reformulated and branched it off more in to different types. According to the resaponse I have heard from the company, they say it isnt 'food safe' any more. When you contact GE, they will tell you (if you catch an honest and informed individual) that the formula is the same for GE silicone 1 and their 100% silicone aquarium glue. Well see...

As far as silicone goes I have heard that there is a difference between I and II. Silicone I supposedly is better for glass to glass bonds and Silicone II for glass to other material bonds. This is all hearsay from reading, but this paticular information came from a custom tank builder.

You are pretty much correct. Silicone 2 is 100% (but how can they say that considering what they add?), but it also has mold inhibitors (for use on doors, in bathrooms, etc.) that make it 100% not for aquarium use.

The kitchen and bath version of both I and II contain mold inhibitors and should never be used.

I had a close call with my skimmer today. I went down on my motorcycle today while I had the skimmer in my messenger bag on my back. I really thought I shattered the skimmer at first but it looks perfectly fine. Wish I could say the same for my arm, it broke. :(

Well after having my skimmer going for almost 3 weeks, it just doesn't produce much skimmate. I can't figure out if it is a design problem, or my tank just doesn't have much to skim. Sometimes during the day and night, it will start producing a good, dry, brown foam, but for probably 75% of the day, it produces nothing at all. There are a ton of bubbles in the reaction chamber, and a very turbulent mix being made, just nothing comes out most of the time. I do 4 gallon water changes every week and have a fuge with a lot of chaeto, and a lot of xenia. maybe my tank just doesn;t have that many nutrients to get out.

Okay,

I've read every post and am working on this skimmer for the back of my nanocube. I've cut out the main pieces and will put together this weekend. In order to fit under the lid it looks like it will need to be shortened to 13 1/2 inches high. My water level is at 10 1/2 inches so will move the injector up a 1/2 inch from the original plan.

My question is: for an in sump design can I just leave the bottom open and not do the 1/2 inch outlet hole?

Has anyone yet made this skimmer for their cube or their sump?

Update: I put together the skimmer. As it was my first time working with acrylic it's ugly but functional. An outlet hole is needed for the in sump design. Because of the plastic hanging down on the fan vents of the cube lid the skimmer will need to go in compartments 1 or 4. I'm planning on putting it in 1 and putting the skimmer pump in compartment 2. I'm using the original cube pump for the skimmer (~100 gph) and it's doing a fine job in my 'test bucket'. I'll update once its up and running in the tank.

I got my "UTR" skimmer up and running this weekend. Man this thing kicks booty. I need to turn the pump down a bit because the foam is a little too wet, but the skimmate is still green. Just wanted to say thanks to Undertheradar for sharing a great thing. Thats what it takes to better the hobby (obsession) and make all our little glass boxes the best they can be.

I started reading the start of this thread, and still have to sift through the other 20 or so pages so excuse me if this is redundant - I was looking at the specs for underTheRadars skimmer and wondering if it would work as well to use a small powerhead with an air inlet attached in place of the small pump.

I have an extra powerhead that has a small tube that came with it for air intake that I have never used, and was trying to decide if I could use that along with a small air pump i have lying around to create both the water and air flow necessary.

Are the bubbles going to be too large w/the air pump and would just a small tube kept above water level and pluged into the powerhead work better

- any ideas or suggestions would be a big help as I've never owned or even seen a 'small scale' skimmer work.

Archived