ReefCleaners.org

Smallest external protien skimmer you have seen?

CodeToad

I have one, but the bottom " " piece, i cut a tad bit short width-wise, so some bubbles get through, but I think I solved that prob, but no leaks water-wise, and I put it together with JB-Weld, which is drinking-water safe, it would be a good model though (first real acrylc projec, lol) :)

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anybody using a mini-jet 404? If so, how did you attach the powerhead to the pvc? Is there a way to do it that isn't permanent so that I can switch out powerheads if I need to?

Undertheradar

be careful reefgurl...in the past threads we have talked about the potential patent issues...I would not advertise openly that you are looking for one (do so through PMs)...and for sure do not ever post after you got one made for you or else you and the seller could be in deep dookie.

Would it be possible to take this design and just enlarge it a little, add a bigger pump and use it on a 40 gallon tank? I am assuming most people are using these on smaller Nano tanks, and guessed that it would be too small for a 40 gallon tank as is. Thanks.

After some study, me and my friend Angelo decided to build this skimmer (as far as I know, first in its class in our country :D)

I have a question regarding this part (the part with the circle. The number means inches)

Is it big enough for the skimmer to work?

Undertheradar

splifmeister,

I would not use the 'venturi' inlet that a powerhead has. The back pressure that the injector deals with will cause water to spray out this hole instead of air getting sucked in. You could use an air-pump to force air in at this point...but It's redundant...the injector manifold does the same thing...only better.

seis66,

looks fine.

UTR what size tank are you using this on? Would it be possible to build a larger one using the same design for a 40 gallon tank? (Not asking you to build a larger one, I just want to know if this design would work on a 40 gallon tank if i just made it larger and put a larger powerhead on it).

This is a pretty cool idea, I'll have to try it out, I'm a scale modeler/kit-basher/scratch-builder/tweaker/low-spender, so this will be very good project to keep me busy after school (I'll make several if it works well for me), since MS Gundam models can be expensive at the rate that I buy and finish them. ^_^

Undertheradar

EnFuego...sorry, but all I got to say is read brotha, read....that question has been asked at least twice in this thread...I even gave dimensions.

UTR,or anyone who can help....I'm in the process of building one of theses skimmers.My question is about a solvent/glue I found at Wal-mart.It's a MEK based glue.If I let this stuff cure for several weeks BEFORE using my skimmer,will it gas off any bad vapors/residue?I plan on throughly testing the skimmer in a water bucket before installation on my tank so the joints will be flushed by plenty of water.Will it be reef safe then?Weld on is kinda hard to get, except by mail order,around here.

Undertheradar

I would call the Mfg. of the adhesive and simply ask them what they think...if their product is 'food-safe' and resistant to corrosives. If so, it should be fine. You could just buy MEK, put a bunch of acrylic shavings and scraps in (about a 50/50 mix of each is best), and blend them. Thats pretty much all weld-on is.

Thanks for the reply UTR.According to the package its resistant to sunlight,moisture,and saltwater(the reason I bought it).It's called Power Poxy.From what I read off the package it seems to be an epoxy with a MEK additive.I'll let you know how it works out.Less than $2.00 for 1/2 oz,so it may be a "new find" for small projects.Thanks again for this great thread.I'm ready to glue this baby up.

i just built one of these skimmers today. its really cool, but it took me all day to do and im not even done yet! i just have to get the bottom on and fabricate a cover, mounting braket, and an overflow hole.

will the injecter holes ever leak due to something happening? i dont have a 5/8 drill bit so i had to drill a 1/2 in hole, then widen it to 5/8, but its kind of a messy hole that could and will leak, even though i have o rings

Undertheradar

Thats actually what I do. I use a 1/2" drill bit for plexi, then I use a 1/2" drum sanding bit to enlarge the hole just enough to cram the pipe through.

well i think i will do somthing with the bad holes i drilled. i just used a 1/8 in bit and an electric drill and went around the 1/2 in hole. i think the friction from the bit heated the plexi and carved its way around. will it leak?

myfisharemean

just put some silicone on the rim of the endcap, and rim of the 45 or whatever you have on the other side, then squeeze them together like usual. :P -Matt

i just leak tested my skimmer and it works! only had a few leaks, but not too bad for my first time bonding acrylics. i dont have it running right now becuase im a little weary abgout the pump that i have. i got it at my dads work from an old fountain that he had running. it was made of Avonite, a solid surface, and the pump has a bunch of lent and such in it. i dont think its powerful enough either, but it did work during the leak test.

Archived