Cultivated Reef

Japanese Spiny Lumpsuckers.......

AquaticEngineer

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
The yellow ones are too cool. OMG.

L

We have the 2 gallons systems in STOCK! Extra, Extra! Read all about it! MICRO-REEFS and Lumpsuckers are making waves! :lol:

AquaticEngineer

Just wanted to run this by anyone who has been following this thread.

I finally got an end price for getting these Japanese lumpsuckers stateside (bit of a language barrier) and a break even price for us bringing them over if we bought 10 would be close to $250 a piece, with no profit.

The reason I even post this up is because I know there has been a TON of interest in the Lumpsuckers and I want them as bad as you guys. I just dont know if people are ready to drop that kind of money on a single fish for coldwater yet, which is why I'll put it out here for you all to discuss.

I'd probably have to do a similar group buy like we did on the Corynactis, but we'd need about 10 people to get them into the $250 range, which is asking a lot.

In the mean time I will keep pushing on my avenues for getting the local species (Eumicrotremus Orbis)legally.

Who ever thought it would be this difficult to get a pokemon?

Edited by AquaticEngineer
  • Thanks 1
Just wanted to run this by anyone who has been following this thread.

I finally got an end price for getting these Japanese lumpsuckers stateside (bit of a language barrier) and a break even price for us bringing them over if we bought 10 would be close to $250 a piece, with no profit.

The reason I even post this up is because I know there has been a TON of interest in the Lumpsuckers and I want them as bad as you guys. I just dont know if people are ready to drop that kind of money on a single fish for coldwater yet, which is why I'll put it out here for you all to discuss.

I'd probably have to do a similar group buy like we did on the Corynactis, but we'd need about 10 people to get them into the $250 range, which is asking a lot.

In the mean time I will keep pushing on my avenues for getting the local species (Eumicrotremus Orbis)legally.

Who ever thought it would be this difficult to get a pokemon?

Holy moly. I have entire pico reef tanks (corals included) that cost less than one of these puppies. I shall admire them when one of these other fine rich people picks one up.

Been a while, are you taking my advice and charging admission to your house yet?

L

Yo are we talking the E. taranetzi or the E. pacificus? I could at this moment, without a defined theme for my tank yet, consider the E. taranetzi, as for the E. pacificus well although probably a 'cooler' fish, they get too big for the likes of my tank.

AquaticEngineer
Holy moly. I have entire pico reef tanks (corals included) that cost less than one of these puppies. I shall admire them when one of these other fine rich people picks one up.

Been a while, are you taking my advice and charging admission to your house yet?

L

That was my exact thought when I got the prices for them. Which is why I'm shifing my focus towards getting permits for legal collection of them locally myself. Nothing like cutting out all the middlemen and going right to source to bring prices back within reason :D

I was gonna start charging admission, but we are in the middle of a remodel currently :) Found some 400 gallon square aquaculture tubs locally for a killer deal, and just picked up a couple 100 gallon round aquaculture tanks from ODFW yesterday.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Josh/Stu

Are they charging you these outrages rates because the Lumpsuckers need to cross the Japan harbor and Godzilla has been spotted in the harbor? :P

Tell those guys they can keep them in Japan for that rate for just one fish! That's $50 shy of our complete 2 gallon Temperate pico, come on! For a fish? Or was that Pokeman?

AquaticEngineer
Hey Josh/Stu

Are they charging you these outrages rates because the Lumpsuckers need to cross the Japan harbor and Godzilla has been spotted in the harbor? :P

Tell those guys they can keep them in Japan for that rate for just one fish! That's $50 shy of our complete 2 gallon Temperate pico, come on! For a fish? Or was that Pokeman?

I totally agree :)

I'm going to focus on getting the native Lumpsuckers legally instead to start breeding, at least until I find a better priced option for the Japanese ones :D

• 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer
Alright when are we going to see any lumpsuckers, be them ethnic or local? We need them. Lets go Josh and Stu!!

Well the state of Washington denied my request to reclassifying the lumpsucker so I could collect them and said "We don't currently have the resources to look into it".

We can get them from Japan but we'd have to sell them for close to $600. If have any takers at that price I'll order some now :)

So I've ben trying tonfind them myself or through a more cost effective venture.

Edited by AquaticEngineer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
AquaticEngineer

Ya im really sure they will be cheap.... ya haha.my guess they will try to take your wallet like everyone else.

They will be less than most fish in the tropical trade, right around $225, and they are a heck of a lot rarer to get in the US than these ridiculously priced Clarion Angels I keep seeing, lol.

My main goal isn't even to sell all of these ones, I'm keeping several pairs once they are sexed to captive breed them here in the states. This is one of the fish I've been after for about 2 years so it'll be nice to have them available for a reasonable price for people who really want them. Been talking to a few public aquariums that have bred the Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker successfully in the past so I have a pretty good idea of what to do with these ones ;)

AquaticEngineer
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

So after all these years how did the lumpsucker tank go? Would you recommend getting some? If so what tank equipment and tank dimensions did you use? Also with the cold temp needed did you experience a significant amount of condensation on the tank?

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
Bigcountry78

What happened to this thread? Where’s the suckers at? Reef tanks are making a huge comeback and now would be perfect to start getting them out there. I know here in Houston the coral are blowing up! There’s a lfs in almost every corner of Houston. Let me know!