Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Just purchased your e-book. Hope everything goes as well as possible!! You are the kind of person that makes it possible for this hobby to thrive!

Thank you for the order. The DL link was sent

Albert

• Like 1

I can think of any number of things here is just one for starters.

An LED unit with the following?

1/Full spectrum

2/ Controllability

3/Reasonable looks

4/ A wide fixture to reduce shading, wide angle lenses just don't do it on their own.

5/ Reasonable price.

6/ Reliability

7/ Longevity

8/ A decent looking and functional mounting system.

9/ Android control.

10/ The above should not be too much to ask.

Now some manufacturers have some of the above but I am struggling to name any that have all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to you all esp Albert who I think may well still be in hospital. Get well soon Albert you are missed. Best if luck and I hope you are in good spirits. Best wishes. Les.

Hi Paul Merry Christmas to you and family. Question for you, did you build your own tank 46 years I think ago if so what did you use to seal the glass with as I don't think silicone sealant was around so perhaps glazing putty?

Hi Paul Merry Christmas to you and family. Question for you, did you build your own tank 46 years I think ago if so what did you use to seal the glass with as I don't think silicone sealant was around so perhaps glazing putty?

Silicone was around then. I am not that old. It came out in the late 60s due to the space race.

I was going to build my own tank because I couldn't find one the size I needed. I searched for the materials and it was going to cost about twice as much to build it myself rather than buy it. I finally found a manufacturer that built me a 100 gallon tank (I think it is really only 90 gallons) It is 6' long and 14" high.

• Like 1

I posted on a thread about white spot a while ago on another mainly UK forum and missed a reply aimed at me. I have now replied to it and some of you may be interested in the posts on the thread so I have copied and pasted it below.

" quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dustybryn viewpost-right.png

For every one person with your hugely fortunate experience, there are hundreds who've had the opposite, WS, tank wipeouts etc. If you have invented a miracle cure fish food that combats the myriad of pathogens that find their way into our tanks you should be marketing it because you'll make a fortune. You should also consider medicine as a career, the Marie Curie institute are always looking out for someone with your skills.

Sorry I missed your post above but will add/suggest the following.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dustybryn viewpost-right.png
For every one person with your hugely fortunate experience, there are hundreds who've had the opposite, WS, tank wipeouts etc.

Yes I must have been extremely lucky not to have had a notable outbreak (note I do not say simply an outbreak) of WS in 25 years and 8 different marine aquariums, in fact I don't know for the life of me why I haven't won the lottery. You seem to suggest I have just been lucky and yet I also state " I have almost certainly introduced the likes of white spot in that time" In fact I will go one step further and say I have 100% introduced WS into my aquariums on many occasions, never intentionally of course I would never do that but I know of a man who will do to prove a point. Yes many, many marine aquarists will have had complete or partial wipeouts due to WS. So what is different about my tanks to yours or anybody who has lost fish due to WS?

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dustybryn viewpost-right.png
If you have invented a miracle cure fish food that combats the myriad of pathogens that find their way into our tanks you should be marketing it because you'll make a fortune

let us consider that statement for a moment. Maybe I have done, maybe the answer is so simple nobody will listen for whatever reason. I will sell you nothing, market nothing nor make money from this hobby. I don't have fancy bottles of expensive wonder cures or spend money on marketing of what I do which I (and a number of others I know as I am not alone) to help keep my aquariums free of any of the awful diseases that plague this hobby and have done since the birth of marine aquarium keeping. I don't dabble in medicine as most medicine concentrated on dealing with disease after it is contracted and shows itself and is mainly not concerned in prevention.
I don't think Marie Curie will be very interested in marine itch or in fact any other marine related diseases. However with regards to a cure for cancer best not go there as there is a whole industry doing very nicely out of another awful disease.
Now, would you suggest I abandon my ways in this hobby and do something completely different to what I have been doing for the past 25 years?
BTW, as I said above I am not the only one who has a similar philosophy to reefkeeping with similar experiences and similar results.
Finally, I am no expert in the likes of WS and apart from it's life cycle and the fact it is more likely to attack weak fish with a poor immune system then I can't advise on how to cure it, however there is a clue in that last sentence as why I believe others fish will succumb to WS."

*Note* Marie Curie is a UK cancer charity (there are many more) supposedly aimed at finding a cure for this awful disease.

• Like 1

It's a good thing they don't know about my tank which has been disease free almost 40 years. :lol:

In fact a few of them do and one guy even PMd me a link to one of your posts regarding how you feed and what. I in return, thanks him and gave him a link to a post I made on how I make my foods and the use of fish oil in which you replied backing me up :)

Tell him about my book. I need more England Sales. :P

So many people are stuck in their ways they can't think with open minds or embrace anything unless it costs mega bucks even if your book does Paul :lol:

My new Algae turf scrubber arrived today and if nothing else I am impressed with the build quality, it's very well built with no butt joints at all but each join is either rebated or grooved to take the next panel. I need to male a stand across my sump to sit it on so tomorrow I will get 2 pieces of 10mm glass to straddle the sump and it will sit on them. I don't have the tooling to make what I wanted but I found a guy on UK eBay who can and he made it for me. I will post pic's when I have it up and running.

I got another one of these yesterday from my favorite LFS in Westbury. But for some reason they only get one at a time so I have to go back all the time to get more

(Andy get me more. I want more)

I want about ten or fifteen of them because they are just so cool and I want them to spawn, not that I think I can raise them. They are mostly filter feeders but they will munch on a tiny piece of clam when they can get it so I squirt them some every meal. Their claws are lousy at holding anything so it takes some time for them to actually grab something.

006_zpsidlhwqkk.jpg

• Like 3

My ATS arrived a day before Hermes said it would be delivered and so I had time to do an amateur (read VERY amateur) YouTube video of it so here it is.

• Like 1

He'd wear the damn thing out in a week. I actually just ordered one, I've been getting a few of them every once in a while and my kleini butterfly can only eat so many.

I'm going to get some acrylic this week, you guys have converted me to ATS systems. I bought some sealed LEDs and I have the rest of the supplies here.

Go for it. :)

• Like 1

I just bought a garden eel because I don't remember ever having one. I vaguely remember having one many many years ago but It could have been a garter snake a piece of rope or a dream.

The thing is about a foot long and a quarter inch wide. I am not sure if I should go by that 2" of fish for every five gallons of water which means I would have to throw out all the rest of my fish or just tie it in a couple of knots and measure it that way to make it shorter.

I was bringing it up my driveway I had thoughts of just saving time and throwing it on the ground there or waiting for it to climb out of my tank where I won't be able to find it until it finds it's way to my wife's underwear drawer, which would not end up well with me.

So I acclimated it while I was having dinner and picked him up with my hand and placed him in the center of tank. He immediately found a place in the far corner under a powerhead. I am quite sure that is the last time I will see that fish.

Make believe there is a picture of it here --------------------------->

• Like 1

I will do it for you Paul this is but one species of them there are others of course needed deep substrate to burrow down into. I doubt they would be much interested in your wifes underwear drawn but you never know in this hobby :lol: They are social animals really.

Garden%20Eel_zpsahgjbg94.jpg

• Like 1