Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I tend to hide my identity when I go into LFSs as I am always after look out for a discount on anything I buy. When you are like that the shops swap mug shots of the guys who ask for discount. Most now have now have a camera outside the shop so they can see you coming and put the closed sign up before you can enter. One shop owner said after I asked about a discount "do you want me to give you it for nothing" I replied "yeah iof you will do a further 10% off and I promise never to come back again".

However I lie and come back in one of those scary clown masks threatening to scare all his fish to death. You have to be careful which shops you do that in as some have baseball bats under the counter which is strange cos I don't think any of them play baseball. Unlike Paul i don't tend to go for supermodels and prefer anything with a pulse as I like to make their pulse race. I once got a dear old ladies pulse to race a hermit crab but her pulse lost and she ended up in the accident and emergency depart of the local hospital, I never did find out what became of her perhaps she training her pulse to race hermit crabs, I do hope so as it could be the next big thing for senior citizens of the female variety.

????

Today I went to physical therapy for my shoulder. The Supermodel who took care of me told me she never saw so much work done to one shoulder because she read the doctor's report of what he did which covers two pages. I explained to her that I am a real Man and not a Sissy, Girly Man so there was a lot of parts in there that I broke.

It was a pleasant experience but I am used to it after having five of these rotator cuff things. (and I like Supermodels)

The "exercises" she gave me to do seem to be geared to a 97 year old Lady so I should have no trouble doing them.

To keep this about fish, there is a Beta fish there.

I am not allowed to lift anything but we are bringing a lot of food to my Daughters house in a few days so I needed to invent a way to carry stuff with one hand. My wife has MS and can't really carry stuff up stairs.

I built this (with one hand) to carry heavy pots using my good arm. I think it is very cool. What do you think.

IMG_12421_zps4eqfmhkg.jpg

• Like 2

I have an update on my mandarin feeder. A lot of people are having a problem finding an appropriate size mesh for the top of the think. I now use a piece from the inside of a reverse osmosis cartridge. If you cut off the ends of a used RO cartridge there is a large screen rolled up in there that has the perfect sized holes and it is enough to last you the rest of your life. It is also plastic so it lasts a long time and my urchin so far has not eaten through it.

Male20Mandarin_zpsqqpbzpmm.jpg

I have an update on my mandarin feeder. A lot of people are having a problem finding an appropriate size mesh for the top of the think. I now use a piece from the inside of a reverse osmosis cartridge. If you cut off the ends of a used RO cartridge there is a large screen rolled up in there that has the perfect sized holes and it is enough to last you the rest of your life. It is also plastic so it lasts a long time and my urchin so far has not eaten through it.

Male20Mandarin_zpsqqpbzpmm.jpg

Excellent DIY method

U Da Man

As I was sitting here enjoying a tuna fish sandwich with a side of shrimp cocktail I was thinking about a thread I saw yesterday about how to euthanize a fish. Now I have been keeping fish since trillobites were the best clean up crew so I certainly don't want to see fish suffer, but I wonder how this tuna was euthanized or these shrimp.
Did they carefully put it in a small container, play soft music and dose it with clove oil? I really don't know. Those shrimp too. How did they meet their end?
Being of Italian decent, on Christmas it is our custom to have at least 7 different kinds of sea food for dinner. Last Christmas we had over twenty. Does that make us bad? Of course we never eat fish in view of my tank as that would be like canibalism and my fish may get the horrors.
My family owned a seafood market and on Fridays my Dad would bring me down to the Fulton Fish Market in lower Manhattan to buy the seafood for his store. It is amazing that those tons of fish that were uncerimonesly dumped on the sidewalk, then moved around with snow shovels. Were they all euthanized. I wonder where they got the time.
And how much clove oil were they using?
In those days there were also huge sea turtles still alive on their backs. Now I know they were just pets as no one I know would hurt a beautiful sea turtle.
Every day I feed my fish live blackworms, clams and mysis. I am not sure if each one of those worms has feelings or thinks about it's family just before it gets eaten.
The millions of mysis also. Do they have more civil rights than the new born brine shrimp I feed my mandarins. Is there a brine shrimp rights group? How about the goldfish we sometimes feed to our moray eels. Do they have less rights than say a lionfish or tang? What if we fed tiny tangs to large goldfish, would that be OK? :unsure:
If we were to cycle a tank with a live fish or shrimp we would get yelled at from everyone, but it seems to be perfectly fine to cycle a tank with a fish or shrimp that suffocated on the deck of a ship. I wonder about that. I also wonder about the leather belt I am wearing. How did they remove that strip of skin from that cow without him noticing. :wacko:
Many people dip corals in insecticide before they put them in their tanks to kill "pests". I am sure those "pests" think of us as pests and worse, murderers. If those "pests" were larger and cuter we would keep them as pets and try to kill the corals they were living on.
Just one of the things I think about. :rolleyes:

As I was sitting here enjoying a tuna fish sandwich with a side of shrimp cocktail I was thinking about a thread I saw yesterday about how to euthanize a fish. Now I have been keeping fish since trillobites were the best clean up crew so I certainly don't want to see fish suffer, but I wonder how this tuna was euthanized or these shrimp.

Did they carefully put it in a small container, play soft music and dose it with clove oil? I really don't know. Those shrimp too. How did they meet their end?

Being of Italian decent, on Christmas it is our custom to have at least 7 different kinds of sea food for dinner. Last Christmas we had over twenty. Does that make us bad? Of course we never eat fish in view of my tank as that would be like canibalism and my fish may get the horrors.

My family owned a seafood market and on Fridays my Dad would bring me down to the Fulton Fish Market in lower Manhattan to buy the seafood for his store. It is amazing that those tons of fish that were uncerimonesly dumped on the sidewalk, then moved around with snow shovels. Were they all euthanized. I wonder where they got the time.

And how much clove oil were they using?

In those days there were also huge sea turtles still alive on their backs. Now I know they were just pets as no one I know would hurt a beautiful sea turtle.

Every day I feed my fish live blackworms, clams and mysis. I am not sure if each one of those worms has feelings or thinks about it's family just before it gets eaten.

The millions of mysis also. Do they have more civil rights than the new born brine shrimp I feed my mandarins. Is there a brine shrimp rights group? How about the goldfish we sometimes feed to our moray eels. Do they have less rights than say a lionfish or tang? What if we fed tiny tangs to large goldfish, would that be OK? :unsure:

If we were to cycle a tank with a live fish or shrimp we would get yelled at from everyone, but it seems to be perfectly fine to cycle a tank with a fish or shrimp that suffocated on the deck of a ship. I wonder about that. I also wonder about the leather belt I am wearing. How did they remove that strip of skin from that cow without him noticing. :wacko:

Many people dip corals in insecticide before they put them in their tanks to kill "pests". I am sure those "pests" think of us as pests and worse, murderers. If those "pests" were larger and cuter we would keep them as pets and try to kill the corals they were living on.

Just one of the things I think about. :rolleyes:

that is quite a long thought there buddy. i remember one time i started eating some fish sticks in front of my clownfish and watchman goby and i swear to jebediah kerman that my clownfish fainted and my watchman goby shat himself :lol:

Today I picked up a couple of corals. One is about 6" and the other two are small. I had to cut about 6" of my blue sponge so it has some light. I will give that away, hopefully someone wants it.
It isn't easy to glue frags because I am still in a sling and can't raise my arm. I got them in there, a little sloppy, but that's the way it is.
I can't find those two green crabs I accidently got and don't believe I will ever see them.
I ordered a new small LED light for my algae scrubber because the red water cooled one I built is just a little to Thick even though it is less than one inch thick water drips on it. I will use the one I bought while I design a thinner LED light.
Everything else is good except due to the drought in California, I am having a hard time getting blackworms. I still have some but I am rationing them.

They grow blackworms in Pa Paul, I can get you the site. I got my 2lb culture from them. He delivered to our shop back in the 90s.

http://shop.easternaquatics.com/Live-Black-Worms-1.htm

• Like 1

Hello Folks!

Our dear friend and the man that runs this page and answers all our reef keeping questions needs us. I hope you will join me in supporting our dear friend Albert Thiel. He needs our help covering medical expenses. Please help by donating and or sharing his gofundme page. Albert is dealing with some pretty serious health issues and the last thing he should be worrying about is money right now. Please help show Albert the love he has shown us all here by supporting him in his time of need.

We love you Maestro!

Click here or below for his gofundme link.

The Albert Thiel Go Fund Me Page For Medical Expenses

AJ1.jpg

AJ3.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you StinkyBunny, I sincerely appreciate you helping Albert.

Albert and I go back some 32 years mate. I bought enough Dupla Bio balls from him to fill 20 55 gallon drums.

• Like 1

My laptop is in for repair that's if it can be repaired so I am having issues logging on to some forums inc this one. Hope you are at least comfortable Albert my friend. I have donated and will be doing so again real soon. Stay positive pal.

• Like 2

Hello Folks!

Our dear friend and the man that runs this page and answers all our reef keeping questions needs us. I hope you will join me in supporting our dear friend Albert Thiel. He needs our help covering medical expenses. Please help by donating and or sharing his gofundme page. Albert is dealing with some pretty serious health issues and the last thing he should be worrying about is money right now. Please help show Albert the love he has shown us all here by supporting him in his time of need.

We love you Maestro!

Click here or below for his gofundme link.

The Albert Thiel Go Fund Me Page For Medical Expenses

AJ1.jpg

AJ3.jpg

I want to thank all of you who are helping us getting through these difficult and trying health times !!

THANK YOU

Albert

• Like 3