ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I have 2 now but this new one is something else and very special. Red ones like this command a high price here in the UK.

Yes here too Les. It looks great

A

Nice ... Nothing hosting them yet ?

Albert

They have been in it but my Duncan's are bigger so I think due to size and the fact they were in the Duncan's first at least for now they prefer the Duncan's.

• Like 1
albertthiel

They have been in it but my Duncan's are bigger so I think due to size and the fact they were in the Duncan's first at least for now they prefer the Duncan's.

Yes that could be indeed ... well hopefully they will migrate to the Anemones at some point

Albert

• Like 1

Hello Albert,

I am wondering what to put in my 3 chamber 16 gallon sump and was thinking about putting a filter sock to help clear my tank I set it up last Friday I started by adding a little water just enough were I can add my sand after I continued to add water until needed and then I mixed salt and dumped it into the tank but I'm not how beneficial it can be for my tank which I think was a bad idea I should've not listen to my Lfs because the tank is still a bit foggy all I am running is the pump. Any opinion or ideas on what to put in my sump to help my tank clear up and something that will work as mechanical filtration thanks !

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hello Albert,

I am wondering what to put in my 3 chamber 16 gallon sump and was thinking about putting a filter sock to help clear my tank I set it up last Friday I started by adding a little water just enough were I can add my sand after I continued to add water until needed and then I mixed salt and dumped it into the tank but I'm not how beneficial it can be for my tank which I think was a bad idea I should've not listen to my Lfs because the tank is still a bit foggy all I am running is the pump. Any opinion or ideas on what to put in my sump to help my tank clear up and something that will work as mechanical filtration thanks !

It certainly cannot hurt to put one in and remove a lot of detritus that will accumulate in it and then as you say rinse when it gets loaded with particulate it has trapped

Albert

Awesome thanks ! What else would you put in a 3 chamber 16 gallon sump, my tank only has 4 fish as of right now and its a 42 gallon tank.

Try a 200 micron sock and perhaps some carbon next to it in a bnet bag

• Like 1
albertthiel

Awesome thanks ! What else would you put in a 3 chamber 16 gallon sump, my tank only has 4 fish as of right now and its a 42 gallon tank.

Besides what Les recommended you could use a piece of Poly Filter from Poly Bio Marine

Albert

• Like 1

Today I added 12 more LEDs on a 5' square aluminum housing to supplement my 36 LEDs that I didn't feel were bright enough. So I increased the lighting by 25%. That is enough light for now. I didn't yet connect the fan to this new strip as doing that requires quite a bit of labor because I have to rebuild the entire fixture and I don't think that could happen until the fall so I hope it doesn't get to hot. After it runs a few hours I will check it out for heat.

This is the strip I added.

2015-03-30%2015.28.03_zpsgbxeqmpx.jpg

This is the original 3 strips. Now there are 4

IMG_1068.jpg

• Like 1

That new 5' LED strip I built with the 12 LEDs on it gets hot so I don't leave it on all day. I temporarily mounted it to my existing LED fixture but still need to remove the entire fixture and make a new fan housing which incorporates this new strip into it. Right now, there is no air flow through it and it makes a big difference. The new strip is about twice as hot as the ones where the fan pulls air through it. I just need some time which is in short supply. I also need an operation on my right hand as one of my fingers gets "stuck" if I grab something. It probably happened from waving at Supermodels, even though they don't wave back. I have had that operation before on a different finger and it is not that bad, it is almost a Sissy operation but you can't use that hand for a month or so and I won't be able to salute or anything like that. I am not sure how I will prep my boat for the water but I may have to ask someone for a little help with mundane things. Anyway, that is neither here nor there and my tank is doing well. My book is finished and I can't wait to get myself a signed copy. I need 2 of them for each of my Grand Kids even though they probably won't care one bit about fish but they certainly get an education about them weather they want to or not. I already started when they are on the boat.

I took a picture. I just love bluestripe pipefish, razor shrimpfish, ruby red dragonettes and mandarins which were camera shy but still hang out at the feeder. I actually don't know how anyone can keep these types of fish without having a feeder such as this one. These are my types of fish and I hope to find some more oddballs but they rarely come on the market as many people can't seem to keep them and if I don't buy them the day they come into the store, they croak

2015-04-02%2014.57.58_zpsxrzwraex.jpg

No, those are for Sissies. The aluminum tubing that I mounted them to are the heatsinks. I use thermal grease between them and the aluminum. The existing ones are fine and they are running a couple of years but they have air going through them. This one is just stuck on there and I didn't connect the fan enclosure to it yet because it involves me removing the entire fixture with remote drivers. Then I have to cut all the wires going through the fan enclosure that is a PVC 2X4. Then I will mount the new strip and evenly space

them. Then build a new fan housing with holes in them to line up with the strips so the air gets sucked through them. Re wire the thing and put it back into service. I also have to get a larger weight because this fixture is on a pulley system and it rises out of my way for maintenance. But now it is to heavy with the new lights.

albertthiel

No, those are for Sissies. The aluminum tubing that I mounted them to are the heatsinks. I use thermal grease between them and the aluminum. The existing ones are fine and they are running a couple of years but they have air going through them. This one is just stuck on there and I didn't connect the fan enclosure to it yet because it involves me removing the entire fixture with remote drivers. Then I have to cut all the wires going through the fan enclosure that is a PVC 2X4. Then I will mount the new strip and evenly space

them. Then build a new fan housing with holes in them to line up with the strips so the air gets sucked through them. Re wire the thing and put it back into service. I also have to get a larger weight because this fixture is on a pulley system and it rises out of my way for maintenance. But now it is to heavy with the new lights.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Paul

:)

Albert