Pod Your Reef

(PLEASE help) with Maxima clam and newbness

kevin_f

(edit: 6/13/12: I have a new question all the way at the bottom post #5)

I purchased my first 4inch(i'd say) ultra maxima clam from Pacific East Aquaculture a month or so ago. It's been sitting in the sand bed in front with Radion on it (50g 24x24x20). I just moved my tank to another house & replaced the sand with Fiji Pink. I've read it should be in the rocks, but I don't really have a nice flat piece. It's nice and open but likes to angle itself. I don't know if the mexican turbo snail is climbing on it night & making it lean.. or the clam is doing it by itself. I'll put it upright & in a few days he'll be on a slight angle. Is that an issue? (it's not leaning towards more light because it's facing the opposite way)

picture of it in my old setup:

IMG_1094.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

Maximas love rockwork, and radion has horrible penetration, I would elevate that bad boy ASAP..... Mid tank ATLEAST.

Don't worry about finding anything special, he will settle to any comfy rocky area....

Example... Not really a flat surface but.......--->

This pic shows how it's happy on a very uneven surface

6840002427_ccdf1948e8_z.jpg

Tricolor Valida by J.L Photography, on Flickr

hmm.. i'll try to find a place on the rocks. Lot of the spaces have big gaps where he would sit inbetween though

Just took a picture of where I just placed it.

513.jpg

514.jpg

How far does the foot reach? He's foot is in the air.

528.jpg

So I moved him into a different position.

I used my crap phone to take a picture instead of my dslr camera.

He's open pretty wide now but his skirt is somewhat retracted. I also noticed while he's been open this wide if I take a look underneath him it seems his shell is not attached on on side. If you would look to where his foot would be(which I haven't seen out) the shell continues to have a gap along one side(I couldn't get a clear picture of it).

Also, the exit part that used to stick out has retracted inside(not the mouth but the thing that looks like a nipple)(Sorry for my lack of terms) I

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

I'm getting some help for you but first we need a picture of the clam in the new spot after it has stopped stressing out. In these latest pictures it looks like he is Pinched Mantle but to be certain, you have to stop messing with it and send a picture after leaving it alone and allowing it to get comfortable.

I'm getting some help for you but first we need a picture of the clam in the new spot after it has stopped stressing out. In these latest pictures it looks like he is Pinched Mantle but to be certain, you have to stop messing with it and send a picture after leaving it alone and allowing it to get comfortable.

Thanks metrokat! He's been in that position for about day 1/2. When I get home I'll take better pictures.

In the sand he seemed fine(in first picture of first post) I wanted to move him onto the rock & closer to the light though!

Thanks metrokat! He's been in that position for about day 1/2. When I get home I'll take better pictures.

In the sand he seemed fine(in first picture of first post) I wanted to move him onto the rock & closer to the light though!

Sorry to say this my friend, but that clam is minutes away from death. I really hate to be a spoil sport, and everyone knows i always go through all out battles to save clams. But in all honesty, your clam has reached the point of no return. WHich is unfortunate, because Macs clams have been very good lately. This is a good example of how stress and shipping can bring out PM. I am having very good luck with my new clams from Dr. Mac, but than again, I did not have them shipped. All of these Tahitian Maximas flooding the market are dropping like flies and they always have been - for years. There are VERY few success rates ( IF ANY) out of the many many my friends and I have purchased. They really need to be pampered and quarantined properly.

Sorry to say this my friend, but that clam is minutes away from death. I really hate to be a spoil sport, and everyone knows i always go through all out battles to save clams. But in all honesty, your clam has reached the point of no return. WHich is unfortunate, because Macs clams have been very good lately. This is a good example of how stress and shipping can bring out PM. I am having very good luck with my new clams from Dr. Mac, but than again, I did not have them shipped. All of these Tahitian Maximas flooding the market are dropping like flies and they always have been - for years. There are VERY few success rates ( IF ANY) out of the many many my friends and I have purchased. They really need to be pampered and quarantined properly.

I appreciate your honesty! I feel bad that I have to put through this stress.

I actually took a trip to visit Dr.mac and bought it then(was in a bag for good 5hrs). I just moved a few weeks ago & I've been battling a lower pH(7.8) lowest drop & highest it's been is 8.03. In my old place it was 8.1-8.3 all day. Probably moving it a few times in the tank didn't help it either.

What should I do with it now? I won't be able to look at it until I get home.

Zeph, maybe Kevin can try a few of the treatment options you have been exploring.

That clam will not survive a dip. You can be a trooper and try a 15 minute fresh water dip, but my opinion is it will not survive the night. There comes a time when you get moved from intensive care to the hospus.

That clam will not survive a dip. You can be a trooper and try a 15 minute fresh water dip, but my opinion is it will not survive the night. There comes a time when you get moved from intensive care to the hospus.

I will update when I get home from work at 530pm.

I lost a few Zoa's in the transfer. Everything else seems to be doing fine(*knock on wood*)

Kevin, if youre feeling experimental, and it is still alive when you get home, give it a fresh water dip for 15 minutes. If you have a PH meter, use RO water and bring the ph up to atleast 8. if you do not have a ph meter use dechlorinated tap water. make sure the temperature is similar to your display tank and dip it for i5 minutes. Please let me know if it survives, but please do not get your hopes up.

Kevin, if youre feeling experimental, and it is still alive when you get home, give it a fresh water dip for 15 minutes. If you have a PH meter, use RO water and bring the ph up to atleast 8. if you do not have a ph meter use dechlorinated tap water. make sure the temperature is similar to your display tank and dip it for i5 minutes. Please let me know if it survives, but please do not get your hopes up.

Thanks Zeph. I'll give it a try when I get home. I have 2 pH probes hooked up to my Apex, so I can spare one.

Thanks Zeph. I'll give it a try when I get home. I have 2 pH probes hooked up to my Apex, so I can spare one.

Kevin, To your best recollection, when did you purchase this clam from Dr. Mac? I ask because I have two of his clams from his last big batch, and he hasnt received any new ones since than, and he only get in a big batch like that a few times a year. So your sick clam was most likely from the same batch as the 2 I have from him, which are doing well ( knock on wood). Let me know please, thanks.

-Z

Kevin, To your best recollection, when did you purchase this clam from Dr. Mac? I ask because I have two of his clams from his last big batch, and he hasnt received any new ones since than, and he only get in a big batch like that a few times a year. So your sick clam was most likely from the same batch as the 2 I have from him, which are doing well ( knock on wood). Let me know please, thanks.

-Z

Well, you were correct. He was gone when I got home. He was pretty much folded inside himself. He did fall over the other day when he was on the rock. Suppose a lot of factors aided to his death.

I got him 05/05/12(have the receipt in front of me)

Well, you were correct. He was gone when I got home. He was pretty much folded inside himself. He did fall over the other day when he was on the rock. Suppose a lot of factors aided to his death.

I got him 05/05/12(have the receipt in front of me)

Sorry your clam passsed, but there was nothing you could do. From the looks of the pic it already had one "foot" in the grave. And since it only has one, thats pretty bad. HArdyyy harrrr harrrr.

Do you have any other clams in your system ? I got mine from Dr. Mac on May 20, so ours were definitely together in the same tank. HEre are the two I got. These pictures were taken today.

dsc0284e.jpg

dsc0279dw.jpg

Sorry your clam passsed, but there was nothing you could do. From the looks of the pic it already had one "foot" in the grave. And since it only has one, thats pretty bad. HArdyyy harrrr harrrr.

Do you have any other clams in your system ? I got mine from Dr. Mac on May 20, so ours were definitely together in the same tank. HEre are the two I got. These pictures were taken today.

dsc0284e.jpg

dsc0279dw.jpg

They look awesome!

Nope, he was my first and only one. It was somewhat an impulse buy when I got there, hah. He was definitely unhinged on one side though.. so I'm sure that didn't help. From when I had it, the foot had never extended.

I am sorry to hear your loss but hopefully you haven't given up on clams just yet! If I were you, I'd try a crocea clam first. I remember my first tank where I never owned a test kit, never checked Ph, and mine survived on the sandbed from day one until I had to shut down the system.

Good luck on your next clam!

I am sorry to hear your loss but hopefully you haven't given up on clams just yet! If I were you, I'd try a crocea clam first. I remember my first tank where I never owned a test kit, never checked Ph, and mine survived on the sandbed from day one until I had to shut down the system.

Good luck on your next clam!

Thanks! I haven't given up. Might hold off for a little while though. (Someone is selling a crocea 1hr from me for $30.. but eh, that's still a drive, lol) Few of my zoa's started to close up recently. My torch,hammer,chalices,scoly's ect are all doing fine). My tests are all good except for pH which is a little low 7.8 lowest. I'm just going to sit on what I have for now and make sure it thrives..

Two of reefer friends have recently closed up shop. Both had crashes for unknown reasons. I've gottt too much money into this to crash!

dsc0284e.jpg

dsc0279dw.jpg

Very nice clams. And Kevin, I'm sorry about the clam

Archived