SaltCritters.com

Formula462's Big Frag Tank

Formula462

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Formula462
Tanks are looking awesome. Can't wait to see them full.

Thanks bruddah. I am having my friend Jason plastic weld me some egg crate racks. He scores them with a tool, and then uses the welder to bend it over on the score to make a perfect 90 with no rough edges. I am gonna have to think of a cool way to weigh them down because with the flow this tank has, they would be bouncing around everywhere, scratching the #### all up.

Hopefully, things will go well, and I will soon be able to spring for acrylic tiers with cylindrical risers.

Super duper sexy ( Al Gore voice) :lol:

Formula462

Well I have this little frag disc with two kinds of small acro frags glued to it. My buddy gave it to me in dire straights while he gets his lighting situation figured out. I knew it wasn't really going to do well, it was pretty effed up when I got it. I held in it the BC for about a month, and it kinda just hung in there. Then it started growing some cyano on the dead parts. I threw it into the frag tank sump to basically let it die off and give me some bacteria. It stayed in the sump for about 3 days with no light, then out of curiosity I put it up top under the new t-5s. Low and behold it started putting out what polyps it has left. I am not expecting a recovery, but the fact it lived three days in the dark, after already being half dead, makes me feel good about the water in the big tank.

If I do not die on my rafting trip, this tank is going to be bomb, and so are the corals I have access to!

• 3 weeks later...
Where are the fags?

In my area you can find them in Oaklawn in Dallas.

Assuming you meant frags, those are getting moved over now.

What class rapids :) Looks great!

supposed to be 2's, but they were bumped to 3's due to the PSI being much higher for irrigation. It was cool. I stayed in the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to let everyone know I am still kickin and the tank is moving along now. It hit like a two month lull in progress due to me switching jobs. I still work at an LFS, but now I have the task of turning around one with a somewhat tarnished reputation. The cool thing is, I am the manager of the whole shebang (this fish part anyway) so I get to change things as I see fit. The frag tank is getting about 30 lbs of LR dumped into the sump, and the refuge is getting set up as well. It's gonna be sweet I promise.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Formula462

20130501_193849_zpsb4866b70.jpg

http://s607.photobucket.com/user/formula462/media/20130501_193942_zpsd998f01e.jpg.html'>20130501_193942_zpsd998f01e.jpg

It's so hard to get the right colors to show lol!

The ORA frags look perfect in person, the pink birdsnest is banging, the blue tipped acro is coming around. Only thing that looks chitty for real are the three green (brown atm) birdsnest frags that came out of a crashing tank a while ago, and the ORA miami orchids that came from a similar situation. The ponape looks so cool in person, but it just looks one shade of yellow in the pic. Joe the coral is green,yellow, and blue tipped in person.

I swear that once the other two coral tanks go up at the store, this thing is getting new bulbs, and FILLED with coral.

http://s607.photobucket.com/user/formula462/media/20130501_193747_zps3465b8e1.jpg.html'>20130501_193747_zps3465b8e1.jpg

Formula462

you know I just noticed the really weird optical illusion that the halides are hung differently. wtf that's crazy. it looks like one is hung sideways, and one longways. they are identical fixtures, and are mounted as such .

science

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived