Cultivated Reef

Formula462's Big Frag Tank

Formula462

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right? I keep staring at the refurbs and wondering why they won't take my money via paypal.

If I had that tank set up as is right now, I'd be thinking 3x FNI 70w Halides, or that T5/LED combo I was going on about. I really do miss T5, and I think that would have to be the route I'd take. How ever, 3 of those pendants would look really clean, and it would be cheap and reasonable for a frag tank.

Formula462

No it's a brand new unit so add 100 bucks lol.

The tank is gonna have 4x48in aT5HO and 2 150W MH.

Formula462
I love my SpectraPure. One of the best purchases I have made!

Priming it, and leak testing is always kind of intimidating.

Formula462

Lol I have done five loads of laundry in one day trying to make enough water to fill the frag tank.

The permeate water seems to be working out for the FW tank though. I used about three gallons to top it off and nothing died so all is well I presume.

I really need to get some little clamps to mount the hoses to the wall though. Right now my laundry room looks like a laboratory.

and of course the waste water is what I am doing laundry with.

4 gallons of permeate water for every 1 gallon of RO/DI.

trying to be green and not waste.

• 2 weeks later...
Formula462

Well of course they did not have the right light ready to pick up, so instead I went with the Reef Octopus in sump 130 classic, and 60 lbs of live sand. I will grab the light next week. I suppose the temporary lighting is sufficient. I still have to tarp the tank and paint the room anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I put in the sump, like 15 or so lbs of old, previously live, rock that was sitting in the garage. Of course I will put in a substantial amount of new, cured, live rock, but I wanted to start it off. Needless to say, when you put dry, 2 year old, rock with dead xenia petrified to it, it starts to smell as it cures again. Like straight piss. The protein skimmer has it's work cut out for it.

Maybe take half a second to edit before posting.

I take it you never wrote more than a five word sentence on an iPhone, huh?

Op also has this huge tank going and you don't mention it all on his thread, and instead just criticize other posters trying to learn from him and help him out. Then again with your signup date and post count, that's expected. Go back to your for sale thread that you logged back on for.

Formula, what's the Tds of your disposed water? I hate the fact of wasting All the water from rodi also. It's cheap and everything, but I feel guilty about it. I'm thinking it's probably good for watering a garden of some sort, right?

Op also has this huge tank going and you don't mention it all on his thread, and instead just criticize other posters trying to learn from him and help him out. Then again with your signup date and post count, that's expected. Go back to your for sale thread that you logged back on for.

Formula, what's the Tds of your disposed water? I hate the fact of wasting All the water from rodi also. It's cheap and everything, but I feel guilty about it. I'm thinking it's probably good for watering a garden of some sort, right?

The TDS of the permeate water is still 0. Both the TDS meters for out R/O and out DI are 0.

I wash clothes with the waste water, and top off the FW tank. I have the waste line snaked into the drain of the washing machine. Most of the time, I will pull it out and let it fill the machine while I am making water. One five gallon jug=one max load of laundry. Sometimes though, if I am making a lot, I will just let it drain. Probably about 60 % of the waste water gets used somehow, so I figure that's pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

adding 20 lbs of long cured, pest free, LR at the end of the day today. kinda took a small financial setback last week, but things are still moving along quite nice. I got some nice magician frags growing out in the nano as well.

gotta move a 140 gallon FW tank with an effing two and a half foot long arrowana tonight. i am scurred of that thing lol .

JamesHL88 gets a free Montipora frag because I was supposed to send it forever ago and I became very busy with all this and a lot of work. He is going to be my shipping guinea pig.

Lol i forgot about that. I was just browsing this thread and saw my name.

Awsome tank by the way. Cant wait to see it full of frags.

• 2 weeks later...
Formula462

Well I am going to Portland for a week, when I get back, all the frags are making the shift to the big frag tank. Then business begins! Small time to start, but only the good stuff :)

Formula462

I know, I can't stop staring at it. I have been back here sweating balls, wondering why the room is heating up so much...the a/c vent had been closed for I dont know how long. Lol

Feels good now. Looks good too. Just gotta switch out the bulbs to ATIs

Archived