Top Shelf Aquatics

Formula462's Big Frag Tank

Formula462

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Psychosis

That looks awesome! Why you holding out on dim's and what not? The internal C2C is a nice touch as well. Strictly a frag tank? How are you lighting it? T5 LED Hybrid IMO.

Oh, and for what ever reason, "Ever done it in a suitcase" came to mind. Futurama marathon's rule.

Formula462
That looks awesome! Why you holding out on dim's and what not? The internal C2C is a nice touch as well. Strictly a frag tank? How are you lighting it? T5 LED Hybrid IMO.

Oh, and for what ever reason, "Ever done it in a suitcase" came to mind. Futurama marathon's rule.

60x24x12 55 gallon sump (gotta baffle it)

Its going to be the first "bigger" tank in my little garage shop. So yes lots o frags.

Thinking T5 LED. Possible MH LED.

Psychosis

T5 LED might be tricky at that length, but 3 48" blue plus with 3 full(er) spectrum LED clusters would be awesome. Or just 3 halides, kick it old school.

What ever you do, I'll be tagging along. The dimensions are too amazing not to.

Formula462
T5 LED might be tricky at that length, but 3 48" blue plus with 3 full(er) spectrum LED clusters would be awesome. Or just 3 halides, kick it old school.

What ever you do, I'll be tagging along. The dimensions are too amazing not to.

thanks, it's gonna be sweet whatever I decide to do. Gonna pull the ceiling fan out and hang the fixtures, so my options are pretty open.

IMO metal halide will cause a massive amount of evaporation from such a shallow tank. Looking forward to seeing it get filled ( and your walls painted :P).

Free frags for everyone to celebrate?

Formula462
IMO metal halide will cause a massive amount of evaporation from such a shallow tank. Looking forward to seeing it get filled ( and your walls painted :P).

Free frags for everyone to celebrate?

Nah, being so shallow will allow me to use a lower wattage MH bulb as opposed to something like a 400W pendant I am thinking two 150 W and whatever LED or T-5 setup I decide. Gonna just bite the bullet and get a refurbished SpectraPur so evap is not a huge concern.

It's going to be mainly SPS and desirable zoa/paly and certain LPS (chalice, blasto, etc)

I like the idea of having different focus points for intensity from different lighting sources. SPS centered under halides, zoas and other deeper water species under more blue light from the LEDS or Actinics. It's still up in the air for lighting.

Thinking of going MAG 9 or 12 for the return since the sump is so deep and I can get away with having a larger bodied pump. I really like the reliability of Mag drives but the larger Rios are easy for me to get as well and they are pretty damn powerful for the money.

The plumbing for the return is a little confusing to me. The fact that it has so many 90 degree turns I mean. I am probably gonna straight pipe that part with a threaded 90 elbow and some Loc-Line .

Painting walls soon. :)

JamesHL88 gets a free Montipora frag because I was supposed to send it forever ago and I became very busy with all this and a lot of work. He is going to be my shipping guinea pig.

Haha. No montis for patback?? :(. Jk. I this is going into a garage, could you maybe put the sump to the side underneath the table, then have another sump to another tank underneath your new drag tank. The plumbing would sort of cross cross, but there will be less 90* bends and flow wouldn't be compromised.

Basically it would be one gigantic system. One tank drains to the sump underneath, that water gets pumped to the next dt, dropped to the 2nd sump, and brought back to the first dt. You probably hate that idea, but it took a while for me to type out, therefore I refuse to delete it. Haha

Formula462
Haha. No montis for patback?? :(. Jk. I this is going into a garage, could you maybe put the sump to the side underneath the table, then have another sump to another tank underneath your new drag tank. The plumbing would sort of cross cross, but there will be less 90* bends and flow wouldn't be compromised.

Basically it would be one gigantic system. One tank drains to the sump underneath, that water gets pumped to the next dt, dropped to the 2nd sump, and brought back to the first dt. You probably hate that idea, but it took a while for me to type out, therefore I refuse to delete it. Haha

If I was going to do that, I would just go pick up some Dutch Aquarium stacks from a shutdown LFS. That is pretty much exactly how they are set up, minus the one off to the side. Although, I have seen and worked on ones that do have lateral plumbing.

If I was going to do that, I would just go pick up some Dutch Aquarium stacks from a shutdown LFS. That is pretty much exactly how they are set up, minus the one off to the side. Although, I have seen and worked on ones that do have lateral plumbing.

Well, I tried. Lol. Looking forward to when it's filled. Are you dragging to sell online, or are you bringin the whole kit-n-kaboodle to a big drag swap?

Formula462
Well, I tried. Lol. Looking forward to when it's filled. Are you dragging to sell online, or are you bringin the whole kit-n-kaboodle to a big drag swap?

Both. Turn your auto correct off lol.

Euphyllia

Beginnt es? Es beginnt nicht! Es gibt kein Wasser in die Aquarium! :lol:

Look great. Very large. :)

Both. Turn your auto correct off lol.

Lol. This phone is a nightmare when it comes to auto correct, sorry.

altolamprologus
Lol. This phone is a nightmare when it comes to auto correct, sorry.

iphone?

Yes.

Sometimes I spell out a perfectly acceptable word and my phone decides that it doesn't think I really want to use that word. Frag and drag is interchangeable according to apple. Sometimes it changes and others it is fine.

altolamprologus
Yes.

Sometimes I spell out a perfectly acceptable word and my phone decides that it doesn't think I really want to use that word. Frag and drag is interchangeable according to apple. Sometimes it changes and others it is fine.

Haha how did I know it was an apple product? :lol: I couldn't imagine trying to convince the phone that all the reef terms we use on here are actually real words.

Singlefin

I was wondering how your business was coming along. Had to do a search. Must've missed your posts. Look good. Exciting.

Formula462
I was wondering how your business was coming along. Had to do a search. Must've missed your posts. Look good. Exciting.

Yeah I made this one post a while back mentioning this, but then I just left it alone. I wanted the photos of progression to do the talking. Right now I am scratching my head over what lighting to use. I am pretty sure I have a finalist lined up though. But but before it gets filled with saltwater (right now it's vinegar water) I am going to paint the room it's in. You know, so it does not look THAT ghetto lol. It is certainly coming along though, I am very excited. It's not going to be the only tank either, it's just the first "big" one.

Archived