inTank Media Baskets

Tulip's Topic of Answeerss :)

Deleted User 3

Deleted User 3
If you think you need a running tank to start a Member's Aquarium thread, you'd be sadly mistaken.

Yeah i know they post start up ones, but Atleast i want to wait until I get stand & the rock in there.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I realize that you are probably overwhelmed right now by the huge number of responses (some very opinionated) and many of them telling you to just go search for things. I was a newbie not all that long ago (like 9 months ago) and I realize that its hard to just search things sometimes because you may not even know what you're looking for. When this is all so new it can be overwhelming without a little direction from some more experienced people beyond just telling you, "Go read stuff until you're an expert."

I'm not saying don't read things, read everything you can before you jump in, but I see no issue with also asking general questions to get guidance in the right direction. I think there is a better way to go about this instead of starting a thread confessing you know nothing, where you're likely to get attacked (even if most people on here are well intentioned, it just tends to happen). A much easier way to start learning and getting guidance from people, in my opinion, is to find tank threads for tanks similar to what you intend to set up. Look at tanks that are about the same size, keeping similar livestock to what you plan, or even using some equipment you're considering. Then read those threads. A lot of them start back at the beginning with when that person was a newbie themself and was trying to figure out the right way to get started. You can see what they did to set their tank up, get ideas for your own tank, and even learn from the mistakes they made so you don't repeat them.

That is how I went about learning how to set up my tank, and I started posting on the threads I was interested in to get more info and advice and just to comment about things I liked in their tank. That's how I built up a group of people on here that I talk to most frequently and that know me well enough to answer questions without attacking me. I'm still nowhere near an expert and its nice to build up a group of people you can ask questions and bounce ideas off of. That way you don't have to post a general thread asking for help and get attacked.

Just an idea :)

Deleted User 3
That would be ideal.

Edit: don't fill it up all the way with water. Remember water displacement.

Yep I know. I'll do it about half way I think. I just need to get the dry rock in there too when I get it.

Feel better?

I'm tellin' ya, you came to the right place.

As far as the water conditioner goes, it exists because we haven't always used filtered water. Back in the day, everyone used tap. It took a while before a good solution was found and in the interim, most people used water conditioner like the product you mentioned. At the time, it was the best choice. Now we have rodi and quality salt mixes, it makes reefing a lot easier.

That doesn't mean that the product has no place in sw tanks. Like ajmckay said, it is possible to run a tank on treated tap, but I would be up all night watching my snails and shrimp for fear of their death. In a FO tank with a large algae scrubber, bioballs and a big skimmer, tap could end up working just fine.

It looks like you found a source for ro/di, your 30gallons should last awhile. All this talk of setting up a tank is making me want to start a new tank. The only problem is that I hate doing water changes, And I mean I really hate it. If I set up a new tank, I will blame it on you :angry:

This stuff isn't rocket science.
I saw it mentioned earler in the thread that starting a SW tank isn't rocket science.

:angry:

catfight.gif

:P

Deleted User 3
So I realize that you are probably overwhelmed right now by the huge number of responses (some very opinionated) and many of them telling you to just go search for things. I was a newbie not all that long ago (like 9 months ago) and I realize that its hard to just search things sometimes because you may not even know what you're looking for. When this is all so new it can be overwhelming without a little direction from some more experienced people beyond just telling you, "Go read stuff until you're an expert."

I'm not saying don't read things, read everything you can before you jump in, but I see no issue with also asking general questions to get guidance in the right direction. I think there is a better way to go about this instead of starting a thread confessing you know nothing, where you're likely to get attacked (even if most people on here are well intentioned, it just tends to happen). A much easier way to start learning and getting guidance from people, in my opinion, is to find tank threads for tanks similar to what you intend to set up. Look at tanks that are about the same size, keeping similar livestock to what you plan, or even using some equipment you're considering. Then read those threads. A lot of them start back at the beginning with when that person was a newbie themself and was trying to figure out the right way to get started. You can see what they did to set their tank up, get ideas for your own tank, and even learn from the mistakes they made so you don't repeat them.

That is how I went about learning how to set up my tank, and I started posting on the threads I was interested in to get more info and advice and just to comment about things I liked in their tank. That's how I built up a group of people on here that I talk to most frequently and that know me well enough to answer questions without attacking me. I'm still nowhere near an expert and its nice to build up a group of people you can ask questions and bounce ideas off of. That way you don't have to post a general thread asking for help and get attacked.

Just an idea :)

Well it's not like I knew i was going to get attacked when I signed up. I figured the best way was to join a place for SW tanks, and ask questions, albeit stupid or not, everyone says no question is stupid.. But i guess to some they are. I'd rather get bashed and get information than not know. I've learned a lot by asking questions, because you can have them clarify certain points that you're confused on, etc. Interactive researching.

I don't think you need to add the water before the rock. There's no point since you'll have to wait on the cycle anyway once the rock is added. Its much easier to get the rock scaped the way you would like it when the tank is dry and then add the water on top of the rocks. Just a recommendation.

Well it's not like I knew i was going to get attacked when I signed up. I figured the best way was to join a place for SW tanks, and ask questions, albeit stupid or not, everyone says no question is stupid.. But i guess to some they are. I'd rather get bashed and get information than not know. I've learned a lot by asking questions, because you can have them clarify certain points that you're confused on, etc. Interactive researching.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't have started this thread. I'm just saying you might get clearer advice by researching tank threads similar to your set-up and then talking to those people for advice. You should definitely keep asking questions. :) I was just suggesting another way to maybe not make things so overwhelming.

Deleted User 3
Feel better?

I'm tellin' ya, you came to the right place.

As far as the water conditioner goes, it exists because we haven't always used filtered water. Back in the day, everyone used tap. It took a while before a good solution was found and in the interim, most people used water conditioner like the product you mentioned. At the time, it was the best choice. Now we have rodi and quality salt mixes, it makes reefing a lot easier.

That doesn't mean that the product has no place in sw tanks. Like ajmckay said, it is possible to run a tank on treated tap, but I would be up all night watching my snails and shrimp for fear of their death. In a FO tank with a large algae scrubber, bioballs and a big skimmer, tap could end up working just fine.

It looks like you found a source for ro/di, your 30gallons should last awhile. All this talk of setting up a tank is making me want to start a new tank. The only problem is that I hate doing water changes, And I mean I really hate it. If I set up a new tank, I will blame it on you :angry:

Lol. That's okay. I'll be glad you follow your post, and take the blame! I still don't feel better yet. I'm hoping 30 gal should last a while. I just need to find 6 buckets... and where do yuo put them in a 2001 hyundai elantra? lol

:angry:

catfight.gif

I don't think you need to add the water before the rock. There's no point since you'll have to wait on the cycle anyway once the rock is added. Its much easier to get the rock scaped the way you would like it when the tank is dry and then add the water on top of the rocks. Just a recommendation.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't have started this thread. I'm just saying you might get clearer advice by researching tank threads similar to your set-up and then talking to those people for advice. You should definitely keep asking questions. :) I was just suggesting another way to maybe not make things so overwhelming.

No i didn't mean put it in, i meant mix it with the salt & everything in the bucket.. since it has to wait 12-24 hrs. I couldnt find any similar this is why I came here..

Also, a lot of people would love the attention you get. My tank thread gets nothing. Seriously, 3 replies in 3 months. (probably because it is boring, has no fish or coral, and never changes. Heck, I only look at it like once every 2 weeks) I couldn't care less, but still. Lots of people do care.

I'm not trying to be mean, just sayin' :flower:

Deleted User 3
Also, a lot of people would love the attention you get. My tank thread gets nothing. Seriously, 3 replies in 3 months. (probably because it is boring, has no fish or coral, and never changes. Heck, I only look at it like once every 2 weeks) I couldn't care less, but still. Lots of people do care.

I'm not trying to be mean, just sayin' :flower:

Yeah i guess.. Theres nothing much i can do about that =\. I guess I apologize that my thread gets a lot of action..

Cheer up, internets isn't serious buzness. We are really all here to help. Even the abrasive ones. They just don't have friends irl to understand how to treat people.

Deleted User 3

Cheer up, internets isn't serious buzness. We are really all here to help. Even the abrasive ones. They just don't have friends irl to understand how to treat people.

Okay... that last sentence cheered me up... :lol::D

You're a female n00b w/ a presumably real Avy.

They'll elicit the most action around here. Period.

:lol: Very true! How do we explain Joels thread then? Haha

PinkDamsel

Another method to learn and get help: aquire a ReefMaster, 1 person who is very experienced & successful and likes being helpful and agrees to be your mentor & guide.

It worked out really well for me, and no, you can't have mine. He's mine, I tell you, MINE! And he needs to be free to concentrate on the Damsel whenever she stumbles, which still happens often enough, lol. Seems like you have enough mentors already in this thread.

Another method to learn and get help: aquire a ReefMaster, 1 person who is very experienced & successful and likes being helpful and agrees to be your mentor & guide.

It worked out really well for me, and no, you can't have mine. He's mine, I tell you, MINE! And he needs to be free to concentrate on the Damsel whenever she stumbles, which still happens often enough, lol. Seems like you have enough mentors already in this thread.

Alto is mine. She just doesn't know yet.

Deleted User 3

Ha ha. Okay okay! Gosh! I do have a lot of potential ReefMasters on here... gosh i cant type that without laughing... reminds me of 'I am your father (ReefMaster).' or something.

Alto is mine. She just doesn't know yet.

Awww a ReefMaster Marriage! <3

Jacob042426

i know your reef master. :ninja:

he's mine on RC

Awww a ReefMaster Marriage! <3

Noooo. Not like that. I thought she was a he at first. (sexist, I know). In willing to place my bet and say that she is probably the most well rounded person I have spoken to on here when it comes to knowledge of anything salty, an from what Ive read, possibly everything else she's interested in. She, along with maybe 2-3 other people are the only ones I don't feel the need to double check when they answer a question.

Deleted User 3
You're a female n00b w/ a presumably real Avy.

They'll elicit the most action around here. Period.

Tis me. I took it down though, maybe it'll help. And maybe ill change my name to something unisex.. then no one will knoww.

Archived