Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tulip's Topic of Answeerss :)

Deleted User 3

Deleted User 3

Okay so I was just thinking... do I need a filter? I have the BRS eco reef save rock and aragonite natures ocean sand, and then am waiting the arrival of some coralline covered live rock from a fellow reefer on June 3rd, so, do I really need a filter? Should I just use a power head, although those freak me out because of the fatalities. The filter I have is a whisper power filter t1 or something similar, im going to put water in a bucket & run it without any inserts to see how it does before I use it in my tank once i get the live rock & mix the water just for precaution! I don't have a refugium, if i make one and get some cheato in it.. do I need the power filter? I'll need movement in the water so i'll have to buy a powerhead, but still...

thanks ! :) PS people use a soap box? think for a refugium intank, which is probably what I'd do, but.. where do I get one?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

A powerhead would be fine for you, but a filter will trap more poo and make it easier to get it out of your system.

If you decide not to go with a filter, I would not use chaeto, as it will get everywhere! I would find a macroalgae called dragon's breath, it is gorgeous and works very well at reducing nitrate like chaeto does. :)

7263994770_8895fb80bd_b.jpg

Deleted User 3
A powerhead would be fine for you, but a filter will trap more poo and make it easier to get it out of your system.

If you decide not to go with a filter, I would not use chaeto, as it will get everywhere! I would find a macroalgae called dragon's breath, it is gorgeous and works very well at reducing nitrate like chaeto does. :)

7263994770_8895fb80bd_b.jpg

Hmm okay. I'm just gonna stick with the filter for now, seemed to work okay in the bucket so. We'll see ! :) Should i use the sponge that comes with the filter? theres the cartridge and then a sponge..

gonzalez78

As far as i have read i can't believe what I'm hearing. My two cents here, you were fine with cc as long as you only used about 5 pounds of it (later you will get hitch hikers that will live in your cc and help clean it). Do all dead crushed coral and base rock as indicated and let it run and when your friend gives you the piece of lr you can add it. Your filter you had in the beginning was fine since you will only go the fish only route. AS for lighting, you can do 50/50 PC. when you order your cuc ask if they have snails that will clean ur cc (there is a company out of Hawaii that has some but i can't remember their name :( ). Also get either some bristle worms or mama mia worms they love running through cc. Any other questions you have feel free to pm me.

Deleted User 3
As far as i have read i can't believe what I'm hearing. My two cents here, you were fine with cc as long as you only used about 5 pounds of it (later you will get hitch hikers that will live in your cc and help clean it). Do all dead crushed coral and base rock as indicated and let it run and when your friend gives you the piece of lr you can add it. Your filter you had in the beginning was fine since you will only go the fish only route. AS for lighting, you can do 50/50 PC. when you order your cuc ask if they have snails that will clean ur cc (there is a company out of Hawaii that has some but i can't remember their name :( ). Also get either some bristle worms or mama mia worms they love running through cc. Any other questions you have feel free to pm me.

I bought sand a long time ago. i do not want a worm im getting s cuc from reefcleaners.

Deleted User 3
I bought sand a long time ago. i do not want a worm im getting s cuc from reefcleaners.

Switch to the thread in my sig! I'm not going to use this one anymorE! :) Tank is up and running as of yesterday with LR from an established tank! Go seeee!

Archived