Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official Mantis Shrimp Owners Thread

ccapasso

Well it would seem that I will be coming into possession of a free mantis today. The guy that has it now said it came in on a piece of coral from Bali. But he has no idea what species it is. He described it as being about an inch long and brownish/yellow. He does not know whether it's a spearer or smasher. But he does want it out of his tank ASAP. I told him I would take it off of his hands. Rather than have him flush it.

But until I get a positive ID on it, it will be sitting in a container in my mantis tank. As soon as I pick it up this afternoon I'll get some pictures and hopefully someone can help me out IDing it.

If it's not a species that will be compatible with my setup. I figure maybe I could trade him to a LFS and order what I wanted.

Just got home from picking it up. Man it's small, about an inch long. Hard to tell whether it's a smasher or not. Here's the best description I can give you before getting some pics.

The raptoral appendages look to have black and white stripes

The body color is a greenish brown and there's a darker stripe down the center of the back.

The legs are yellow

There appears to be black and white spots on the fins(?) at the end of the tails.

I'll try getting some pictures. But with the size of it, that may not help

Edited by AirportFF

If you aren't sure if he is smasher/spearer just throw a snail in there. You'll be able to tell. If he doesn't go after the snail, toss in a fish.

Snail = Smasher

Fish = Spearer

Hard to tell from pic but looks like smasher to me.

Islandoftiki
Hard to tell from pic but looks like smasher to me.

That was my initial thought. They're pretty easy to see when the raptorial appendages are held away from the body. I would imagine that little guy is going to keep them tucked in, cocked and ready to fire until he gets more comfortable and relaxed.

I posted on RC about it also. Dr. Caldwell seems to think it's a G. Viridis. And is missing the raptoral appendage on one side. Which is good since it was on my short list of possible inhabitants. I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had a 100% ID though.

He's going to stay in the basket for now with about an inch of sand and some LR rubble to hide in until I'm sure he's eating. I did toss a couple very small snails in there that other day. But they haven't been touched. But that could also mean that it may be getting ready to molt

Islandoftiki
I posted on RC about it also. Dr. Caldwell seems to think it's a G. Viridis. And is missing the raptoral appendage on one side. Which is good since it was on my short list of possible inhabitants. I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had a 100% ID though.

He's going to stay in the basket for now with about an inch of sand and some LR rubble to hide in until I'm sure he's eating. I did toss a couple very small snails in there that other day. But they haven't been touched. But that could also mean that it may be getting ready to molt

Well, I am almost positive that mine is a G. Viridis and yours looks identical physically. Yours is a little lighter in color. That's probably the most likely candidate.

I think you've got yourself a good one there. I couldn't be happier with my G. Viridis. Active, interactive and fun. Plus, appropriate for a small well lighted reef tank.

Well he's in the tank. Where, I have no idea. He was looking around the large rock in the middle for a while. Then must have found a hole to hide in. I figure that he'll come out when he's ready

Edited by AirportFF
Islandoftiki
Well he's in the tank. Where, I have no idea. He was looking around the large rock in the middle for a while. Then must have found a hole to hide in. I figure that he'll come out when he's ready

Yep, give him a day or two to get comfortable. Depending on how much he's had to eat lately, you may be able to coax him out over the next day or two with some food.

Once he gets settled in and feels secure, you'll see him quite regularly. He'll even learn to associate you with food, so you should be very interesting to him.

If you haven't already done it, take some live rock and break it down into manageable sized chunks that he can move around... About the size of a marble or smaller--building blocks for a secure home entrance. Mantis shrimp like to re-scape the tank on a regular basis. Lots of bits and pieces to move around will make them happy and give them things to do.

Very help thread, nice job cc :D

What do you guys think, 4in Zebra in a 12" cube w/ 2"-3" of sand?

Nope.

Need a lot more sand than that. Based on what I've read they need a very deep sand bed.

Some people have taken hexagon tanks and made them into Zebra Mantis tanks. Keep in mind they don't do a lot of swimming and stay hidden in the sand. So the deeper the sand bed you can provide the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Haven't seem the little guy since he's gone into the tank. I'm assuming that he's still alive since I see a path of destruction in regards to snails. Just wish he would come out and say hi once in a while...

Islandoftiki
Just a quick update. Haven't seem the little guy since he's gone into the tank. I'm assuming that he's still alive since I see a path of destruction in regards to snails. Just wish he would come out and say hi once in a while...

Give him time. Mine will disappear into his cave for a day or two sometimes. Occasionally he will only come out to eat. Sometimes he's busy rescaping the tank for days on end. They do sometimes just hide out.

Give him time. Mine will disappear into his cave for a day or two sometimes. Occasionally he will only come out to eat. Sometimes he's busy rescaping the tank for days on end. They do sometimes just hide out.

I was looking in the tank about 15 minutes ago. And there he was in a hole in the rock smaller than a pea, looking back at me. :D

Islandoftiki
I was looking in the tank about 15 minutes ago. And there he was in a hole in the rock smaller than a pea, looking back at me. :D

Those curious eyes. They always look so curious and interested. There is definitely thought going on in their heads.

Those curious eyes. They always look so curious and interested. There is definitely thought going on in their heads.

"Kill it..."

Is this party only for current Mantis owners? I kept my N.Wennerae for nearly 2 years. I'm also setting up a 5.5 for a little something off of sealife inc.

"Kill it..."

Is this party only for current Mantis owners? I kept my N.Wennerae for nearly 2 years. I'm also setting up a 5.5 for a little something off of sealife inc.

Currently piecing together a 40 breeder for a Peacock. Hope to be ready in the next few months.

Added you both :).

Please let me know when your build threads are up and I'll gladly link them.