Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official Mantis Shrimp Owners Thread

ccapasso

Islandoftiki
Where can I find a baby rainbow mantis for sale? As close to 2" as possible is what I'm aiming for.

Any particular reason why you want such a small one?

Any particular reason why you want such a small one?

Your tank is actually the reason I started, so thanks. You've got a great setup. Here's a preview of what I've got so far. I'd like to try a baby in my tank for size and to watch it grow.

23lgq43.jpg

6431701679_54ea7100e9_b.jpg

Edited by Divine
Islandoftiki
That picture looks like a peacock mantis. They are way too big for that tank.

What he said. That's why I was asking. Get yourself a green mantis or something that stays small. It's going to be hard to find a small peacock mantis, and then you're just going to have to upgrade your tank sooner than later.

Believe me, a mantis that stays small will be every bit as enjoyable in that small tank. G. Viridis is heartier and you can have corals in with them due to their tolerance to bright light. They also come in many shades of green. Mine is so dark he looks black.

Edited by Islandoftiki
Islandoftiki
Got it. Mantis are the ####.

This is an indisputable fact. They're all amazing.

You should see the amazing building abilities my mantis has. He's taken a hole in the rock about 3/4" in diameter and used rocks, shells and sand to reduce the hole size to 1/4". I tried to remove the main rock he had plugging the hole and it was stuck in there really good. It was hard to remove, actually. Very Impressive craftsmanship.

Islandoftiki
Some species that can be kept in smaller tanks are the following:

G. Smithii

G. Viridis

N. Wennerae

There are others but those are the most common that you can find/get.

And if you get lucky, some of the N. Wenneraes are pretty darn colorful. Look 'em up on Google, you'll see what I mean.

Jacob042426

ok guys, im going to need your help. im going to do a mantis tank and want something AIO and between 5-8 gallons. what mantis would be good? what tank would you reccommend?

thanks!

i was thinking for the tank a jbj nanocube 6 deluxe.

ok guys, im going to need your help. im going to do a mantis tank and want something AIO and between 5-8 gallons. what mantis would be good? what tank would you reccommend?

thanks!

i was thinking for the tank a jbj nanocube 6 deluxe.

Some species that can be kept in smaller tanks are the following:

G. Smithii

G. Viridis

N. Wennerae

There are others but those are the most common that you can find/get.

Those species would be good in anything 5 and up.

As far as tank, that is really up to you. I know micro-reefs is making one soon.

I thought I would share this as it might give some of you interested in mantis some inspiration.

Check out this guy's setup and collection

See his tanks on the right? That's what an expert (or at least I would consider him as such!) believes is the optimal set up for a mantis ...

dscn0993i.jpg

On Dr. Roy's site it shows 20 liters for Neogonodactylus Oerstedii.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...ame=n_oerstedii

I hope so since I just ordered two of them from reefs2go. I got tracking info on Wednesday but they still haven't shipped. :tears:

LFS has a peacock for $90. I just need to figure out how to talk to the fiancee into letting me setup another tank. I have three in our 900 Sq foot apartment right now.

I thought I would share this as it might give some of you interested in mantis some inspiration.

Check out this guy's setup and collection

See his tanks on the right? That's what an expert (or at least I would consider him as such!) believes is the optimal set up for a mantis ...

Yup, I've been following his thread closely. Very impressive and already filling up on Mantis shrimp lol.

I believe mine is in the process of molting. He packed up his toys, closed himself in and hasn't been seen in 4 days now. Looking forward to what comes out of his burrow

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! - Added to the list!

Any idea what type of Mantis it is that you are getting?

Edited by ccapasso
  • 2 weeks later...

great shot!i also have a mantis tank, a 5 gal that has been set up for about 6 months. got the mantis back in april, ordered as an N. Oerstedii, and i am relatively certain that is what i have. i thought i had a build thread, but i will create one if not. pics to follow!

post-72146-1341599347_thumb.jpg