SaltCritters.com

Neutral White Luxeon Rebel ES

jedimasterben

OneTrickPony
As of now my favorite LED configuration has been...

1 - deep red

2 - blue

5 - royal blue

3 - cool white

2 - neutral white

All Phillips.

-Dave

P.S - Future has Luxeon M emitters. Not mounted.

Dave with that LED mix what color are you getting and are you running them at the same voltage

Ken

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting any color ;) I made it so you can use the modules for planted tanks as well.

On my personal stuff I like to run it around 75% 55% blue to white.

-Dave

Thanks for this thread..I needed a couple of replacement Rebel Leds for my lights.. Steve has been great to talk to ..

daryl

Getting any color ;) I made it so you can use the modules for planted tanks as well.

-Dave

jedimasterben
No love for Cyan. No need for it.

-Dave

I notice quite a bit of color added to the tank when they are on vs off, in corals, not in the way the water looks, if that makes sense. The red evens it out.

OneTrickPony

-Dave

on your personal preferences where does the red fit in % wise

Thanks

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

which web link you are getting this info,can you post the link.it is hard to believe

This is the one from 2008 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143314

The one that I just got info on doesnt seem to be publicly posted that I can tell.

Here is what it says the issue is:

When performing a low current lightup test any device seriously damaged by this tool will flicker or not light up.

• The problem was found during our outgoing visual inspection and through device traceability all effected reels produced on TNR15 have been identified.
  • This foreign material (product debris) caused an un even surface for pick up of the LED causing mechanical damage to the ceramic and die of the LED.
  • The tool was corrected on April 6 and the remaining tape and reel tools were also checked. this issue was isolated to on specific tape and reel too.
jedimasterben
IMG_20120513_212326.jpg

This is the new king?

With a camera that can't focus or white balance when blue light is dominant.

With a camera that can't focus or white balance when blue light is dominant.

Ok, well when you get a good camera and then photoshop the colors to how you want them, let me know.

jedimasterben
Ok, well when you get a good camera and then photoshop the colors to how you want them, let me know.

Yeah, I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

Why is it so purple?

If its purple, it's probably from the 440nm royal blues. When I had these over my tank it looked towards the purple side. I much prefer the 450-455nm spectrum output of the Cree XT-Es (alhough I'm not crazy about their crazy wide distribution pattern)

jedimasterben
If its purple, it's probably from the 440nm royal blues. When I had these over my tank it looked more towards the purple side. I much prefer the 450-455nm spectrum output of the Cree XT-Es (alhough I'm not crazy about their crazy wide distribution pattern)

Still waiting on a DSLR to get good pics of them. My phone can't pick up a lot of the color that is there, and what colors it DOES see are exaggerated. There is no noticeable purple under the LEDs, but at the edges of the light it casts you can see a separation of the colors.

Also, I do have 16x violet LEDs sitting at 100%, as well, so they do throw some noticeable purple around.

HecticDialectics
If its purple, it's probably from the 440nm royal blues. When I had these over my tank it looked towards the purple side. I much prefer the 450-455nm spectrum output of the Cree XT-Es (alhough I'm not crazy about their crazy wide distribution pattern)

Yeah, definitely proof that CREEs are better imo.

Lol, if your tank looks to purple you can also add a couple blues. You guys are REALLY getting to wrapped up in this nm stuff. I can tell you that if you can notice 1-2nm difference I need your eyes. I can tell you that there are only a few of us that have been testing/using different LED's out there for a while. Rebel, CREE, Bridgelux are all AMAZING LEDs if used in the correct way.

-Dave

Lol, if your tank looks to purple you can also add a couple blues. You guys are REALLY getting to wrapped up in this nm stuff. I can tell you that if you can notice 1-2nm difference I need your eyes.

Def can't tell the difference between 1-2nm but between 10-15nm, you can def tell the difference over the tank.

I can tell you that there are only a few of us that have been testing/using different LED's out there for a while. Rebel, CREE, Bridgelux are all AMAZING LEDs if used in the correct way.

I agree 100%, unfortunately each company has really great looking models and some which look awful over the tank, hence the necessity for these discussions. This way people have as much info before buying and multiple options for whatever suits them best.

BTW, I don't think the tank itself looks purple in the photo anyways

The XT-E has started showing up... about 5% cheaper retail when mounted than the XP-G.

And the XM-L vs M thing, just like you said, a multi-die XM-L would do better than the M, but there isn't anything like that at this time, but the M is here, and they are competing segments.

That, and that they're cheaper. ;)

Not sure where the 5% cheaper is coming from, more like 30-40% cheaper

XML multi die I guess no one has heard of Cree XML Easywhite?

If you want a comparison use the Cree PCT tool and you can compare side by side data

see below,and a high CRI of 85 (which is almost impossible to find at 5000k) which I assume is from the more even output:

I also personally like the color temp (5000k) which I've had a hard time finding in XP-Gs currently available. I would concede that efficiency and overall output are close enough to be a push. It's nice to have some more options that produce a different look than the XP-G

BTW- The other Rebel ES model numbers such as the cool white LXML-PWC2 do not share these attributes and look the same or worse than the XP-Gs that are considered standard

If your interested Nichia make 85RA in XP type leds at 5000k

Cree XT or XP are available in 3 bins which are 4800 to 5200k, perfect if you like that colour

jedimasterben
Lol, if your tank looks to purple you can also add a couple blues. You guys are REALLY getting to wrapped up in this nm stuff. I can tell you that if you can notice 1-2nm difference I need your eyes. I can tell you that there are only a few of us that have been testing/using different LED's out there for a while. Rebel, CREE, Bridgelux are all AMAZING LEDs if used in the correct way.

-Dave

These LEDs really don't need the cool blue to even it out, but adding them definitely does add something to the color. They're just really difficult to get a clear picture of without a DSLR. :D

Not sure where the 5% cheaper is coming from, more like 30-40% cheaper

XML multi die I guess no one has heard of Cree XML Easywhite?

If you want a comparison use the Cree PCT tool and you can compare side by side data

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xp-g-white/

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xt-e-white/

Less than 5%, actually. 4.75%

I have really been trying to decide between cree, bridgelux, and luxeon. I think this thread has made my mind up. I will definitely go with the luxeons. I am just trying to figure out how to lay them out and how many for my tank. I have a 20 long and I see the norm is 2:3 nw:rb. I would like to use tubing for the heatsink. Do you guys think 24 would be enough or should I go with 36? I dont have any sps or high light corals right now, but would like to be able to in the future. Any help is appreciated.

jedimasterben
I have really been trying to decide between cree, bridgelux, and luxeon. I think this thread has made my mind up. I will definitely go with the luxeons. I am just trying to figure out how to lay them out and how many for my tank. I have a 20 long and I see the norm is 2:3 nw:rb. I would like to use tubing for the heatsink. Do you guys think 24 would be enough or should I go with 36? I dont have any sps or high light corals right now, but would like to be able to in the future. Any help is appreciated.

I'd do 4x clusters over a 20 long.

Hello all, I am new to the site and stated to do some reading and found this thread on the Luxeon ES which caught my attention since I just ordered a retrofit kit from Steves for my 29g BioCube. Steve's kit is currently offering an upgrade to the Luxeon ES series LEDs. Since I am new to the LED applications in reef tanks I just went with what Steve had as standard and that is 18- Royal Blue Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs and 10- 5,000K Neutral White Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs. I did have Steve add a second power supply so the whites and blues have their own. What do you think of this setup on the color mix? Main thing I was trying to do was get away from the fluorescents because I got tired of changing them every few months and I wanted to be able to grow more than leathers and zoos. Hoping to expand what the tank can do as up to this point it has been stock. Was this a good choice to start? Steve was very helpful and fast to respond.

Archived