Coral Vue Hydros

Neutral White Luxeon Rebel ES

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
BTW, I should mention that Steve's Royal Blue Rebel ES are 440nm (not 450-455nm like the well respected XT-E) and how they perform aesthetically is really yet to be determined. A few ppl (i think Blaster and Evil in the past) said that it set their tanks too much to the purple side.

They are 440-450nm, so it at least does have a range. :P

I can definitely see the purple cast when the light is hitting around the room, but right below the LEDs I could only see royal blue. I actually like what I see of the purple cast so far, it is not nearly as overbearing as evil and blaster were making it out to be, but we will see what it looks like combined with the other LEDs and over the tank.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned to Rapid LEDs to change my drivers to PWM dimming on Sunday, I accidentally ordered the D model. Hopefully they change that for the meanwells.

Otherwise I'll have to rig an LED to a photo-resistor for a quasi DAC :(

Deleted User 5

Nice writing guy ,so Luxeon kicks other leds but that is interesting.

I'm wondering if I can run them on meanwells

16 Philips Luxeon ES ROYAL BLUE 3 Watt

8 Philips Luxeon ES COOL WHITE 3 Watt or Philips Luxeon ES Neutral WHITE 3 Watt is better

any suggestion.

Planing to set up 35 gal tank

jedimasterben

Nice writing guy ,so Luxeon kicks other leds but that is interesting.

I'm wondering if I can run them on meanwells

16 Philips Luxeon ES ROYAL BLUE 3 Watt

8 Philips Luxeon ES COOL WHITE 3 Watt or Philips Luxeon ES Neutral WHITE 3 Watt is better

any suggestion.

Planing to set up 35 gal tank

Definitely don't do 1:2 nw to rb with Luxeons. The royal blue Luxeons are WAY more powerful than Cree XT-E, so that ratio isn't good.

Do a 2:3 ratio of NW to RB. I will get you a good recommendation once I get home later tonight. In the mean time, what are the dimensions of your tank?

Deleted User 5

30" L X 18" H X 12" W

So Luxeons NW are better than CW

On my 65 gal I have 3:1 with XRE Q5 and RB + 70 degree optics my 65 gal is 24 " tall I'm happy with the color

Any way what I need to set up 35 gal tank it looks complicated why you are put the leds so close to each other

On my Cree set up I have 2.5" between the leds

jedimasterben

30" L X 18" H X 12" W

So Luxeons NW are better than CW

On my 65 gal I have 3:1 with XRE Q5 and RB + 70 degree optics my 65 gal is 24 " tall I'm happy with the color

Any way what I need to set up 35 gal tank it looks complicated why you are put the leds so close to each other

On my Cree set up I have 2.5" between the leds

When you put space between the LEDs, colors don't blend together and you get spotlighting in your tank.

What amperage are you running your XR-E at? That way I can kinda calculate how much output they have.

jedimasterben

Well, my new tank did not arrive (Deep Blue sent the LFS the wrong one), so with suffering corals, I had to make do and make a fixture for the lights to hang over my 55, and....

Wow. Wow is all I can say. These LEDs are fantastic. Coral colors are amazing, and the tank looks bright without being too blue with all at 100%, the 2:3 ratio of NW to RB is spot on for a 12-14,000K look!

The cyan Rebels are fantastic, I like them much better than I like turquoise LEDs. The green doesn't look as green, it has much more blue in it, and looks awesome even without deep red to balance it out! I honestly wish I would have added more like Deckoz2302 has said in the past.

When only the royal blue Rebel ES are turned up, I could not see any purple in the tank, just a really pure royal blue, and it is awesome. Even turning up the deep red didn't make it purple, so that seems to be gone in these newer LEDs, guys!

I attempted to grab some pics, I just got a Droid 4 yesterday, but this thing cannot take a picture of the tank at all. No matter what combination of lights I use, I can't get it to focus or keep colors from being incredibly awful in the pics! I will need a better camera, and I'm in the market for one, but in the mean time, I will get my sis (pro photographer) to snap some pics when she is in town this week.

Now that I have finally seen them on a tank, they are highly, highly recommended!!!

I felt the same way when I replaced my nw xp-g for the rebel es... big improvement! I'm getting Steve to make me some deep red/cyan/royal blue 3-ups right now, shipping him the boards and he's gonna reflow solder them on for me.

So you don't feel that the 440nm royal blues make the tank purple at all with the other leds on? I'm looking forward to seeing your professional pics!

jedimasterben
I felt the same way when I replaced my nw xp-g for the rebel es... big improvement! I'm getting Steve to make me some deep red/cyan/royal blue 3-ups right now, shipping him the boards and he's gonna reflow solder them on for me.

So you don't feel that the 440nm royal blues make the tank purple at all with the other leds on? I'm looking forward to seeing your professional pics!

Not at all purple. I can see purple thrown across the room at the "fringes" of the light, but in the tank under the LEDs, none. With just the royals turned up there is no hint of purple, either. Other colors are not necessary to even it out like I had previously thought.

At 100%, my lighting is the perfect color ratio. 14 NW : 21 RB : 6 DR : 6 C : 7 CB : 14 V

Completely matches the look of a 14K Radium, according to any pics I see on the internet. I would love to put a spectrometer under them and see what they are throwing compared to one, as well, but I don't have one of those. :)

Pics with my phone located in this post here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3875073

But remember, my phone cannot accurately capture the color; hell, it has an incredibly difficult time just focusing.

On a side note, the cool blues I got from Milad look to be very similar to the light my old Aquastyle Bridgelux "royals" put out. Very, very similar light. :mellow:

Deleted User 5

Which meanwells I need to run 24 ES I like to get 8 CW and 16 RB can I run 2 same meanwel for CW and RB ??????????????????????

jedimasterben

Which meanwells I need to run 24 ES I like to get 8 CW and 16 RB can I run 2 same meanwel for CW and RB ??????????????????????

I don't know meanwells very well, but I know that if you do 1:2 of cool white to royal blue with Rebels, you will regret it, that will be more than 20,000K. 2:3 neutral to royal is what you want.

I would do 8x neutral white and 12x royal blue, clustered together.

The forward voltage for the whites is 25v, and for the blues it is 38v, if you look up meanwell drivers, it will tell you the voltage range for the driver, make sure it is less than those voltages for the minimum, and not over those voltages for the maximum. I will look up model numbers tomorrow if you are dead set on Meanwells.

I know I've asked before but any idea for a minimum heatsink size for a single Rebel ES NW at 700Ma.

jedimasterben
I know I've asked before but any idea for a minimum heatsink size for a single Rebel ES NW at 700Ma.

ya know, that's a good question. Active or passive cooling? Will it be out in the open or recessed?

Deleted User 5

So I have to forget about cool white instead I have to go with NW and RB 2:3

Can I run both colors on same driver like this one Mean Well LPC 35-700

What I like to do is change 12 Crees for 12 ES NW and RB and see what kind of mix I will have

after i posted a topic n got a "vague" reply, i kept searching n found what i needed. thanks to this thread... and 1 or 2 others, i got what i needed. i ordered what i needed n will update as necessary...

ya know, that's a good question. Active or passive cooling? Will it be out in the open or recessed?

Passive cooling and recessed so that the heatsink's top(not sides) is flush against wood.

Ok, now you've got me convinced to try Rebels for my BIG build. I want to be able to keep SPS and clams et.c. but am thrown with what I would need. My tank is 72 x 24 x 24 and I like the idea of a 14K look but with the ability of running a 2500K - 20K range (if possible).

I know what I'd do with Cree but have no idea when it comes to Rebels. What would you guys suggest? :huh:

jedimasterben
Ok, now you've got me convinced to try Rebels for my BIG build. I want to be able to keep SPS and clams et.c. but am thrown with what I would need. My tank is 72 x 24 x 24 and I like the idea of a 14K look but with the ability of running a 2500K - 20K range (if possible).

I know what I'd do with Cree but have no idea when it comes to Rebels. What would you guys suggest? :huh:

For SPS anywhere, make clusters like I did, 2 NW, 3 RB, 1 deep red, 1 cyan, 1 cool blue, 2 violet. All are Rebels from Steve except for the cool blue and violet, which you get from Milad at LEDGroupBuy.

I would four of these clusters over each 24x24 area over the tank, so you will need 12 clusters.

Supplies list:

24x NW Rebel ES @ 1A

36x RB Rebel ES @ 1A

12x cool blue @ 700ma

12x deep red Rebel ES @ 700ma

12x cyan Rebel ES @ 1A

24x violet @ 700ma

Drivers:

NW: 1x quad driver 1A

RB: 1x quad, 1x double drivers 1A

cool blue: 1x double driver 700ma

deep red: 1x double driver 700ma

cyan: 1x double driver 1A

violet: 1x quad 700ma

Power supplies:

1x 400w

1x 200w

Wire and stuff you'll have to calculate depending on the length you will need. Heatsinks will be up to you, as well. The clusters measure like 3"x2.25", so your heatsinks should be at least 4"x4" if you put each cluster on its own heatsink. The drivers will also need to be mounted to a heatsink, so take that into account.

You could also do two long heatsinks that run the length of the tank. I can make a rough sketch of it and let you know how long the heatsinks need to be if you would like me to.

For SPS anywhere, make clusters like I did, 2 NW, 3 RB, 1 deep red, 1 cyan, 1 cool blue, 2 violet. All are Rebels from Steve except for the cool blue and violet, which you get from Milad at LEDGroupBuy.

You could also do two long heatsinks that run the length of the tank. I can make a rough sketch of it and let you know how long the heatsinks need to be if you would like me to.

That would be excellent if you could do that. I think two heatsinks is a really good idea as there is a brace about 3" wide or so in the middle of the tank. You're a star :D

Just got to convince Steve to ship the LEDs to the UK now :D

good choice on Philips Rebel as your choice..... seems even the company Giesemann , who we all know makes fine fluroscent tubes is finally jumping on the band wagon and making their own LED lights and guess what they decided to use..... yulp, Philips LEDS.

reefbuilders.com/2012/05/15/futura-led-giesemann/

msjboy

Archived