Coral Vue Hydros

old thread lol

jedimasterben

You had better. If not, next time I'm in Florida I'm going to pay your tank a visit.

P.S. I'm going to have a LOT of copper.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
You had better. If not, next time I'm in Florida I'm going to pay your tank a visit.

P.S. I'm going to have a LOT of copper.

I've got like 500mL of Coppersafe here from my days in FW and treating different diseases, you can just use that! :lol:

jedimasterben

LFS said that the tank will definitely be there Tuesday, they got shipment notification for it! Huzzah!!!!!

Went to another LFS and they actually use them as display tanks! They were so damn sexy! They also had picasso and snowflake clowns, I've never seen those in an LFS before! They had amazing prices on amazing corals, too! They had a neon-yellow-green mushroom (two, actually, on a small rock together) and I asked how much, he said $10 and I told him to bag one up. When I got home, he had given me the whole rock! They also had a really big ORA purple stylo (big for a frag) and for $25, no less! Couldn't resist that one, either. :) I will definitely, definitely be going back for more!!

Then yesterday me and the missus went back to the coast to get a few things (she wanted rollerblades specifically) so I went to another two LFS. At one, I got a skunk cleaner shrimpie for $15 and a blue frogspawn for $20. Once we got to the second LFS (the one I'm getting the tank from), I was looking for corals, but my wife decided that she wanted a couple of fish. One was a pearly jawfish, the other was a male lyretail anthias. They are both gorgeous. The jawfish was $20 and the anthais was $28. I told her that since we're getting the anthias, whenever we sell our house in the next year or two, we'll have to get a bigger tank because they need to be in groups and have a lot more than 80g, and she said ok!!! Another huzzah!

jedimasterben
why are you mixing 60 and 40 deg lenses? Wouldn't that enhance disco?

Old design, and no. If I had done it that way, the exotics would have wider optics so they would blend together better, and the white and blue should have blended good as they are since they are so tightly packed. Now they are all 60 degree lenses.

jedimasterben

Pics (my glass is too damn reflective!):

IMG_20120603_122903.jpg

IMG_20120603_122741.jpg

IMG_20120603_122732.jpg

Forgot I also got this massive hunk of Christmas favia for $10. :)

IMG_20120603_122842.jpg

ORA stylo

IMG_20120603_122813.jpg

The two awesome mushrooms

IMG_20120603_122751.jpg

And the CUTEST little clown goby sitting on some acans! the acans didn't even care! (he's not mine, he is at a LFS)

IMG_20120602_144601.jpg

jedimasterben

Stand is D-U-FREAKIN'-N!!!!

IMG_20120603_192456.jpg

IMG_20120603_192527.jpg

IMG_20120603_192519.jpg

Compromised with the wifey about only the inside being black and the rest being white. Doesn't look the best IMHO, but if she's happy, I'm happy. ;)

Tank will be here Tuesday, then I've got to plumb it and get it filled! I need to get my 20L sectioned out with acrylic baffles and get it ready for sump duty!

Finally a finished stand!

Nice pics too! I have the same issue when taking them I have to time them right or it reflects me into the pic. ;)

jedimasterben
Finally a finished stand!

Nice pics too! I have the same issue when taking them I have to time them right or it reflects me into the pic. ;)

Time them right? :huh:

jedimasterben
Is it me or you have a hydroid infestation???

After googling, I'm still not sure what a hydroid is. What makes you say that?

The white circles all over your glass -_- . I had them and never worried about it until I had my daugther's pico turned into a seahorse tank. Then I researched a lot about them and found some answers and matches of why some of my corals get annoyed in my 75 . Here is a link for you to read about

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hydroid...024&bih=494

But pal, apparently, you have quite a lot. Are you feeding a lot of brine???

jedimasterben
The white circles all over your glass -_- . I had them and never worried about it until I had my daugther's pico turned into a seahorse tank. Then I researched a lot about them and found some answers and matches of why some of my corals get annoyed in my 75 . Here is a link for you to read about

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hydroid...024&bih=494

But pal, apparently, you have quite a lot. Are you feeding a lot of brine???

Oh, those spots. No, that's whitish coralline algae, unless hydroids are calcareous.

jedimasterben
Meant angle them right. ;)

Ahh, ok. I was thinking how the eff am I going to time them better, the fish don't sit still for pics as it is! :P

jedimasterben

After looking at the spots again and doing more googling, they are spirorbid worms, harmless filter feeders. Interesting. Now, if I count these toward the number of inhabitants, I'm wayyyyyyy overstocked lol, there several thousand of them!

Ahh, ok. I was thinking how the eff am I going to time them better, the fish don't sit still for pics as it is! :P

Yeah I know that feeling! Damn blenny and clowns always wiggling around.

Hydroids, I have them, never had an issue with them irritating corals though. I always thought they were kind of cute.

After looking at the spots again and doing more googling, they are spirorbid worms, harmless filter feeders. Interesting. Now, if I count these toward the number of inhabitants, I'm wayyyyyyy overstocked lol, there several thousand of them!

i have a couple hundred lol.

jedimasterben

HOLY BALLS THIS THING IS STARPHIRE!!!!!

Shocked.png

2012-06-05_22-18-59_306.jpg

2012-06-05_22-18-48_83.jpg

Events leading up to said discovery:

After waiting several weeks to get the correct tank in, when the LFS owner rang it up, after knocking off a hefty discount and then applying credit from my light I traded and a spare tank and stand, he said my total was $250 after tax. I was like WHAT? I was expecting to pay almost nothing, when I told him to order it he told me $310 without adding in the light or anything, so after the light and tank trade, I would only owe him around $100, which I was cool with.

He said "Well, we normally resell the tank for $600, your price is $400, minus your credit is $235 plus tax." At this point I was kinda mad about that, but I was like ok, and just paid it up. Nothing I could do at this point, loaded it up and left.

When I got it home and me and the missus got it in the house (mind you she was pretty mad at me for paying that much for it out of pocket, she knew it was supposed to nearly free), I took a good look at it and was like damn, that thing is really clear for being regular glass. I walked out of that room and sat down at my computer, and got to thinking... hmmm. When he was originally ordering the tank, he asked if I wanted an Edge tank from Deep Blue (Edge is their Starphire tank series), I originally said yes because I thought Edge just meant rimless, he said $585 and I was like OHH NO, those are the starphire, I want the regular one, so he said $310 for that one.

After thinking back to that, I went in and looked at the tank, and on the front was a sticker that said "Opti-Pure glass", which is Deep Blue's nomenclature for starphire. So, mystery solved. It is not the tank I had originally ordered, but for the price, I can't beat it. It's sexy as hell, and I'm keeping it. :D

And here is a pic of the pearly jawfish. I had just built him a new home out of PVC and had removed his old roof, which was a rock, and put the PVC in its place, and he was scared to death of me and was trying to take cover anywhere he could.

2012-06-04_18-00-38_818.jpg

His new home, a la kgoldy's design:

2012-06-04_17-55-31_25.jpg

And I finally saw my bubble corals' sweeper tentacles! They're amazing!!! Bubble corals are one of my absolute favorites, I'm so pleased that they are doing so well!

2012-06-05_22-01-34_698.jpg

I still need to get the stand to my house and drill it where the drain is on the tank, get it plumbed, and get the baffles silicone'd into the sump. Then I need to fabricate the canopy for the lights (and get a power supply for my fans, scratch that, just ordered one from Amazon), that will be easy and dirt cheap, materials should be $25-30, and I already have all the fans (from a computer cooling experiment using a radiator from a Honda Civic :) ) and some of the wood needed.

Nice! New tank!

I don't know about you, but I always feel like a kid at Christmas when a new tank arrives :).

jedimasterben
That's one nice tank for the price. I'm envious :bowdown:

This. Considering the price is almost 1/3rd of retail! The regular is $400 retail, this one $600. I would have gotten the normal for $150, so this one for $250 is the bees' knees. :)

Archived