Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Christine, have you heard back from Hanna Canada yet? I am interested in what the results are.

No I haven't, but I already know what the results are.

ATI Ordered!

ATI Dimmable Sunpower T5 6x24W w/ controller (24").

The package came with a choice of 6 bulbs, I ordered:

3 x Blue+

2 x Aquablue Special

1 x Actinic

I will probably not run all 6 bulbs, maybe 4 or 5 bulbs will be enough for the 20 gallon. I bought the 6 bulb fixture for the future (possible) upgrade.

This is exactly what im getting for my next tank, same bulbs too.

So you know that that lot is off? By how much?

~200%

Soo any pics of your mad scientist equipment? :D

Nothing yet :)

This is exactly what im getting for my next tank, same bulbs too.

:)

Your equipment setup looks awesome and do does you tank :). I like how everything is controlled wirelessly

Updated picture of the 'control centre" ...

I am using an iPod wirelessly to manually control 16 outlets. I find the Apex display a PITA to use. Still have the 'Panic Button" LOL, only used once when I was out of town, glad I made it :)

Bit of a wire mess up top and below, I become lazy to clean it up.

9734068975_a64e06ede8_c.jpg

Oh I like this minus the spider web of wires lol

Mr. Microscope

Here's the graphic to give you a better idea what's going on overall with the system:

8575358555_d9f8b6e3f5_c.jpg

Very nice schematic! What software did you use for that?

I was looking at the 3 powerheads you have in the tank, is that why your SPS grow slender and tall? Mine are short and stubby, I should turn up the flow maybe?

Kat, I don't run all three at the same time usually. I manually change the direction of flow once and a while by switching on/off different pumps, get the detritus moving. I have a fair amount of flow going on in the tank but not over powering. I would call it "medium" flow.

When you say short and stubby do you mean they have more growth at the base than the tips?

Very nice schematic! What software did you use for that?

Thanks Mr M... MAC .pages actually. Took some playing around but now that it is done I can make changes quite easily if I need to.

Pictures! Don't pay attention to the colors, some were just for my record keeping.

Okay so here's the old Bird (which i no longer have) but you can see the dense growth here

IMG_0445.JPG

Magic sauce bird as a frag

20130126_202254.jpg

Now

20130602_134857.jpg20130731_130345.jpg

Yellow bird - so dense that I can't cut frags too well

20130803_132245.jpg

The growth pattern is short, dense, and compacted instead of tall and slender. Let me see if I can post pictures to show you what I mean.

This will vary between species also, not just flow.

This will vary between species also, not just flow.

Agreed. But see the picture below, this is the original colony of the magic sauce bird that I have. The branches are slender and skinny compared to what they grew into in my tank.

IMG_20130604_223156_390.jpg

Kat, I think the growth you are getting is normal and like Asureef said dependant on species. This is purely anecdotal but I have seen SPS grow in different shapes, thin, long, stretched maybe when parameters are less than ideal, and when nutrients are too low and light (PAR) too intense. Spectrums may play a roll as well. I have seen SPS avoid direct flow and grow away from it's direction.

My bird at the top of my reef gets too much light, it's a bit bleached, it also grows strangely due to the MP10 pointed right at it (unavoidable right now). Bleached corals grow differently IMO.

I am expecting my new ATI T5 next week, this should improve the spread over the reef, and hopefully stop the bleaching. I have turned the LED's down for now, they will be entirely removed once the T5 is in place.

Personally I like the dense growth but will take any growth gladly :)

Agreed. But see the picture below, this is the original colony of the magic sauce bird that I have. The branches are slender and skinny compared to what they grew into in my tank.

Looks like you are consistently seeing bushy coral growth, so you may have more flow than you realize in there. Growth form could possibly be influenced by the large amount of feeding you do, too, as the coral may not feel as compelled to reach so quickly for the light to gain energy.

Visually, your corals will take longer to fill in the same amount of space, but they will have denser skeletons.

Looks like you are consistently seeing bushy coral growth, so you may have more flow than you realize in there. Growth form could possibly be influenced by the large amount of feeding you do, too, as the coral may not feel as compelled to reach so quickly for the light to gain energy. Visually, your corals will take longer to fill in the same amount of space, but they will have denser skeletons.
They're filling in just fine, and the nutrients may be playing a role as you mentioned. As for flow, I've actually had both MP10s on very very low flow settings throughout. Today I turned them up as high as they would go as I'm finding detritus high up on the rocks suggesting a lack of water movement.

Sorry for hijacking Christine.

They're filling in just fine, and the nutrients may be playing a role as you mentioned. As for flow, I've actually had both MP10s on very very low flow settings throughout. Today I turned them up as high as they would go as I'm finding detritus high up on the rocks suggesting a lack of water movement.

Sorry for hijacking Christine.

As long as you don't take hostages Kat, no problem.

Get out the turkey baster and blow out all the nooks and crannies every other day, feed the corals and clean the tank simultaneously.

T5's arrive yet? By the way, whats the combo going in it...

Not yet, maybe by Friday but then I am out of town for two days. I am undecided about the bulbs, likely 2 x Blue+, 2 x Aquablue special, 1 x Actinic. 5 bulbs to start, I think 6 might be too much, we'll see.

Archived