Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hooligan's Clownfish Breeding Thread

hooligan_78

I thought about moving mine, but I don't want to mess them up. I'm waiting to see if they'll do it again. If they do, I might looking into building or buying a tumbler and make the male eject the eggs.

Oh, and some semi-updated shots of my ocellaris juvies:

8034219112_a093798f04_c.jpg

8034209354_b84a4fc8ea_c.jpg

8034208477_92803fd4b1_c.jpg

• Like 1

Quick update:

Got all 3 pairs put into their new homes. Tank 1 is a Fancy White Ocellaris paired with a Snowflake that I "rescued". She had been beaten up pretty bad and had her tail fin nearly chewed off. She's a bit worse for the wear, but eating good, fins are growing back, and starting to show a little dominance.

Tank 2 is, what I consider to be, a really nice pair of regular Ocellaris.

Tank 3 is my BIG Onyx female paired with the little Onyx Picasso male I got from Rich.

• Like 1

Ever since the move my onyx female has not been eating well. All the other, including her tankmate, are eating great. I'm not too worried yet, as she's always been weird about eating. I have seen her grab a pellet or 2, but not eat with much enthusiasm. I'm going to watch her for a few days, and if she doesn't start eating better, switch to some frozen to see if I can get her interested in it.

And I got my Onyx female eating better, not great, but better than she was. Mixed some frozen and pellets and she went after anything near her.

A quick vid of my pairs. The Snowflake in the las tank was in bad shape until I rescued it. Starting to fatten back up, fins are growing back, and it(he?) is starting to show a bit of attitude, so I'm still on the fence as to it's sex.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

And we have our first clutch. 1 month after the move, my ocellaris pair laid their first batch. Not too impressive as far as count goes, but it's a step in the right direction. I won't try to raise this clutch.

8155896263_2d735fa1ef_c.jpg

8155895931_acfedb57ee_c.jpg

• Like 1

And they spawned again! This time a pretty big clutch. Now, if I could get my Percs to start, but I think my male is a few months away yet.

Anyway, some pics.

Spawning, blurry orange dots are the eggs:

8177572022_e43b7ea14c_c.jpg

Shot of the nest:

8177541635_a74eaa35bb_c.jpg

• Like 1

And as promised, the pics. Forgive my mess. I'm in the middle of some overhauling of the room. I was consolidating some things and getting ready to build some shelves.

3 breeder tanks, 1 QT tank:

8178874630_9375ec9737_c.jpg

20l sump for broodstock system, currenty no skimmer, will be adding one soon:

8178842603_2777fca4b2_c.jpg

The hatching station. Currently the middle tank is holding about 10 percullaris clowns approx. 2 months old:

8178873618_2874cbc647_c.jpg

And my introductory "reef" growout. It's a 40b, plumbed to a 20l sump:

8178841089_90a8fd5d51_c.jpg

8178873116_e97220cdc3_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I bought this last night. Vendor sheet had listed as Maine Blizzard Ocellaris. I had a hell of a time getting good shots as she wouldn't hold still.

Pretty stressed out, just got unbagged and put into QT at the LFS:

8203287334_135190e12f_c.jpg

8202197543_2f90c09a2d_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hope you breed again also!

I'm working on getting a setup put together. I have to make it as compact as I can as space in NYC isn't as abundant as when I was in Omaha.

• 11 months later...

Okay, some updates:

Finally got all settled into my new apartment.  Sold my IM Fusion 20 to make room for my breeding system.  Set back up my 9 gallon cube which currently houses my onyx picasso female. I should be picking up the wild caught Bali perc I ordered maybe this week or next. 

I bought a 40b sump from a guy in Brooklyn, i just need to pick it up. So the plan for the system will be 3 10 gallons for broodstock on top, 3 10 gallons next level down for hatch, a 40b growout, and the 40b sump on the bottom. 

Gonna be a bit slow going, but I will get it up and running.  

Not my best pic, but she'll kick it off:

36972400800_8d01e46a99_z.jpg

Alright gang, things are falling into place.

6 brand new 5 gallon buckets arrived yesterday. These will be for my culture station. I will be culturing both sizes of rotifers, as well as apocyclops panamensis copepods. I also have 3 10 gallon tanks on order. Oh and I picked up a wild caught true perc male.

37340933822_4572b0dcd5_c.jpg

37370698691_b024d6fd6b_c.jpg

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Nice I will be following along

Thanks! It's been a long slow go with a few setbacks, but I'm finally getting things together.

Okay, so my order of 3 10 gallon tanks and one 40b arrived today at the LFS I go to. Since I used to work there, I will hopefully be able to drill them, and build the stand and maybe get some crude plumbing done. Of course, the problem then is getting the stuff from the shop to my apartment.

• Like 2