Coral Vue Hydros

Hooligan's Clownfish Breeding Thread

hooligan_78

So, didn't get everything done. Did lots of work this weekend. Think I still have a headache from PVC glue fumes. Also, perhaps a little luck as I've gotten a batch of hybrids to 3 DPH.

Shot while working on sump, forgot to get a finished shot:

7996387287_d06309d31c_c.jpg

Loads of PVC fittings and parts:

7996395228_31e51269b3_c.jpg

7996389079_26ed325e12_c.jpg

And some progress, return line build:

7996394702_d3e83d8dc7_c.jpg

Return nearly completed:

7996397238_ab615ba50d_c.jpg

I still need to finish the drain. I have the manifold done. I need to hang the lights and get some glass tops; don't want any jumpers.

Hi,

i'm not trying to steal your thread or troll or anything like that but it seem's like you know what you are doing and i just have a quick question. I am considering starting to breed clowns (just 1 pair) and was wondering if you have any tips. Thanks in advance

aare you going to slide the tubing into the 2 '' inhole or hard pipe it

I had thought about doing spa flex, but have enough hard plumbing to finish. I'm using 45 degree angles to direct it to the sump

Hi,

i'm not trying to steal your thread or troll or anything like that but it seem's like you know what you are doing and i just have a quick question. I am considering starting to breed clowns (just 1 pair) and was wondering if you have any tips. Thanks in advance

Plenty of resources, start here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269202

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229199

Set up is looking pretty sweet - I actually finished my grow out room this weekend. I cracked one 20G long in the process but had enough time (and a spare one) to get it finished!!!

Set up is looking pretty sweet - I actually finished my grow out room this weekend. I cracked one 20G long in the process but had enough time (and a spare one) to get it finished!!!

That's good! I was freaking out about cracking one of the 10s. If I do, Petco's dollar per gallon is going. I should probably get it plumbed and leak tested tonight, provided I don't get lazy.

Got almost all of it done last night. I have the return test fitted, but not glued. I still need to cut a couple of pieces for the drain and plumbing will be done. I still need a heater(s), skimmer, and glass tops for the tank.

DIY LED strips:

8008956323_8b2fbac97b_c.jpg

Let there be light!

8008955999_6e855be639_c.jpg

Drain Manifold:

8008956705_738ab296aa_c.jpg

Down to the sump:

8008964656_3847bbbc10_c.jpg

Big thanks to EnV for stopping by and helping out!

Also, since this is a breeding thread, sh*tty shot of my 7 DPH hybrid fry:

8008958001_aa63b76988_c.jpg

Looking good.

I did my drains the same way except I used 3" PVC. Did to want it to be the limiting factor for flow

Thank you sir! I debated back and forth from 2 to 3. I'm hoping will not backfire. One thing I forgot to show, was my little DIY flow directors. The intent was to keep the splashing and spray to a minimum. I basicall added a 45 degree elbow to the tubing.

Edited by hooligan_78

As mentioned in Pickle's thread, I broke the bottom of my sump for the breeder setup last night and killed a bunch of the hybrid babies somehow. Good times.

I also had to move my new little onyx picasso to my DT, as the onyx I was trying to pair him with is so much bigger I was afraid she would really hurt him. I have a smaller perc in my DT that accepted him right away, so hopefully I can give him a couple months to get some size and try again.

Also really good friend is bringing his 20L sump for me this morning, so hopefully I can be back on track to getting the breeder tanks all done.

As mentioned in Pickle's thread, I broke the bottom of my sump for the breeder setup last night and killed a bunch of the hybrid babies somehow. Good times.

I also had to move my new little onyx picasso to my DT, as the onyx I was trying to pair him with is so much bigger I was afraid she would really hurt him. I have a smaller perc in my DT that accepted him right away, so hopefully I can give him a couple months to get some size and try again.

Also really good friend is bringing his 20L sump for me this morning, so hopefully I can be back on track to getting the breeder tanks all done.

lookz great mate..

Never a dull moment. I once cracked a tank full of bad ass babies. I was scooping them off the floor with an ammonia badge. First and closest thing I could grab. I only lost 2 out of a few hundred that day.

Never a dull moment. I once cracked a tank full of bad ass babies. I was scooping them off the floor with an ammonia badge. First and closest thing I could grab. I only lost 2 out of a few hundred that day.

At least mine was empty! I've got a bunch of glass to clean, but hopefully I'll get everything plumbed tonight. Ready to get this thing done.

FINALLY!!! Plumbing is finished!!! Too lazy/tired to take pics. I have just a few more things to do before water testing. I need some velcro, a power strip, and a timer.

Well so far so good! Been freshwater testing and so far no leaks. I had to switch a bunch of cords as I kept blowing the breaker on that line. Anyone know how much it costs to run a new electrical line to a room? lol!

Ordered my glass tops from Drs. Foster and Smith. Hate that damn FedEx Smartpost ####, but I only paid $28 w/shipping. I also added salt last night. I also added some super clean base rock. As of this morning was at 1.010. I added 4 more cups and will check tonight when I get home. If all is well, I'll add a couple of pieces of rubble from my DT and get this baby cycling!

My glass tops came in yesterday. I got them put together and on top of the breeder tanks. I also got in my float switch for my ATO. Need to go to Lowes and get more tubing.

And on a related/slightly unrelated note:

I added this to my display tank at about 6 P.M.:

8050354470_7af8aa2f69_c.jpg

And this morning, I noticed this:

8050353966_c21cbc344f_c.jpg

For those of you who might not know what you're looking at; that is a male pajama cardinal with a mouth full of eggs. The female is close behind.

The funny thing to me is, these are 2 fish I've had for several years. They didn't fight, but never really wanted anything to do with each other. Then, in the last several months I've noticed that they seemed to be quite "friendly" to each other. I bought the urchin to munch on some of the grape caulerpa epidemic I'm fighting. It hasn't even been in there 24 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Male didn't make full term. Either spit or swallowed... Might order some pellagic copepods and build a tumbler. See if can get the next batch.

That's cool though. I have a pair and the male was holding and made it to about 19 days last time. Since I put them in the new tank, nadda. But I didn't put in their fake urchin I made and I think its going back in today. Got an update pic for us? Edited by slumpysix