Pod Your Reef

Hooligan's Clownfish Breeding Thread

hooligan_78

hooligan_78

I've had a friend's pair of ocellaris living in my sump. They decided to spawn on the tile I put in with them. They should hatch tonight or tomorrow.

hooligan_78
That's funny that the ones inside the tank won't spawn but the ones in the sump will

Right? Don't even get my started... Since my "good" pair don't seem to want to spawn, I may get rid of her ocellaris male and add a picasso or try to find another onyx for her. The problem I'm running into locally is the flared gills, or severe underbite issue.

Here's a shot of my onyx perc x ocellaris pair:

7261794340_92783eb54e_b.jpg

Spawing Ocellaris in my sump:

7257798314_92e94752fe_b.jpg

Eggs on day 1:

7257799716_8877f373ce_b.jpg

Edited by hooligan_78
hooligan_78

Bad news from the Ocellaris spawn. When I went to pull the tile, it had been tipped over, killed all the eggs. I remedied the problem with the new tile and they laid a new clutch on Saturday. Also, on another postive note: My mixed pair FINALLY spawned yesterday! I'll get some pics of both clutches up tonight.

hooligan_78

So got a pic of the goofy spawn my mixed pair finally laid. Not many eggs, but considering they haven't spawned in several months, I'll take what I can get. My ocellaris pair should hatch Saturday or Sunday, with the mixed pair a day behind.

Here's some pics of the onyx perc/ocellaris eggs looks like the male removed the bad ones:

7308597074_f11c4fc6b2_b.jpg

Mom and dad:

7261794340_92783eb54e_b.jpg

And the breeding setup I'm working on:

7261790534_0920e391ac_b.jpg

Hatch Station:

7261792018_a038b0e74b_b.jpg

Edited by hooligan_78
hooligan_78

So had about 200 or so of the ocellaris hatch last night and I should have the perc/occy eggs hatch tonight!

hooligan_78

Just like with the perc/occy pair, dropped dead on day 3. Only 5 left alive. WTF?!!! Is it the broodstock diet not producing strong fry? I'm at a loss and have no idea. This clutch had a lot of fry on the bottom. Maybe I didn't tint the water dark enough? Could the Rotigrow Complete be the culprit? Mitch May seems to think so. I'm only using a desk lamp for light, so maybe I should use something to dim it further? I need some help, this is really disheartening.

Edited by hooligan_78
Just like with the perc/occy pair, dropped dead on day 3. Only 5 left alive. WTF?!!! Is it the broodstock diet not producing strong fry? I'm at a loss and have no idea.

You could maybe pm sweet<3, she breeds clowns, I unfortunately never got into it so I am no help here.

What are you feeding the broodstock? I saw that I had low fry survival rate before I started stuffing the parents full of homemade frozen food.

From that last pic you posted of the 1DPH, the water should be tinted much darker. I kept mine where I couldn't really see the bottom of the tank.

IMG_4666.jpg

The setup looks like its going to be nice. :)

hooligan_78

Kim!!!! Thank god! I just talked with Tal Sweet and he said Rotigrow Complete should not be used to tint the water, he elluded to something else. Suggestions?

What's wrong with rotigrow complete? I never used it. I used the rotigrow Plus to both feed the rots and tint the water in the fry tank.

Most of the trouble I had with dying fry was result from not feeding the parents enough.

hooligan_78

Don't know. Even Mitch May at Booyahs Clowns said he didn't like it. Maybe I'll order some + and try that.

Ah, now that I think back.. I remember while I was researching what to use I did come across quite a few people saying not to use the complete and that's why I went with the plus.

I kinda miss raising the wee little things. :(

Yeah, I didn't have any trouble with the Plus. I say give that a try and make sure to stuff the parents with food. :)

Just looked at the details of the Complete and it seems that it includes a pH buffer and ClorAm-X. Hmmm, wonder if that has anything to do with the trouble.

hooligan_78

I was thinking about the pH buffer as well. I don't use that crap in my main tank, why would it be added to something used for clown fry? Holy hell, RG+ is pricey!

Yeah, I wouldn't use any food with pH buffer and ammonia remover included in it.

If the price is too high, you could try culturing your own phyto. :P

FishEyeAquaculture

To say your fish die on day 3 could mean anything and everything. Give us more information: broodstock diet, brood temp, hatching fry in new water or brood water, lighting hours for fry, temp of fry, rotifer density, wtaer changes on fry, anything else?

BTW, I use Rotigreen Omega for growing rotifers and greenwater. Not saying it's the best and what you should do...it just works out here at my facility.

hooligan_78
To say your fish die on day 3 could mean anything and everything. Give us more information: broodstock diet, brood temp, hatching fry in new water or brood water, lighting hours for fry, temp of fry, rotifer density, wtaer changes on fry, anything else?

BTW, I use Rotigreen Omega for growing rotifers and greenwater. Not saying it's the best and what you should do...it just works out here at my facility.

I've been feeding the ocellaris brood pair originally just Formula 2 pellets, but just switched to Thera A as it has higher protein rating. I feed 3 times a day. Brood temp is 82 F. Tal (Sweet) said feed more seafood, frozen or fresh, Mitch May told me he feeds Thera A exclusively. UGH...not sure wha tto do there. I feed the rots Rotigrow Complete twice a day as well as tint the fry water with it. The rot density in the fry tank was thick. Probably 50-100 per/mL. Fry lighting is currently 24 hours. Hatching water is a combo of new/brood currently 50/50 split. The Fry temp is 79.9 F. I wasn't planning on a water change until day 3, that's when I found the massive deaths.

FishEyeAquaculture

Keep everyhting the same, then feed about half the amount of rotifers....we feed just enough at 8am so they are all gone by 3pm...then feed again. Try that and see if it works. Too many rotifers were deplete O2 and cause high NH3/4

Edited by FishEyeAquaculture
hooligan_78

So you're thinking my rot density is too high? I wondered about that. How dark to you tint your water in your fry tank/tub? What do you recommend for density?

why did they tell you not to use RGC? i thought it was supposed to be better. i cannot get my rots to grow at all using it. i use nanno 3600 and grows rots like champ. i have the issue of my fry dropping dead also. its been happening on the first night for me. i can see mine wiggling and dying on the bottom of the tank just hours from hatching. i was uning the rcg also. gonna stay with nanno 3600 all the time. i also add selcon to the rots for 30 minutes before adding them to the fry.