Innovative Marine Aquariums

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I had no idea what I was doing. I remembered seeing the bubble traps before with the baffles 1" apart and the middle one 1" off the bottom. I decided to just go with that to seperate the return pump from the fuge. Then I decided to throw in the fourth baffle to make an area for filter floss/chemipure/purigen/whatever and keep it out of my fuge area. The baffles are only 6" tall. I hope that's enough. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for water should the return pump kick the bucket. Guess we'll find out if I did okay or not in the next few weeks! I'll probably leak test it all tomorrow night after work. Then I'll touch up silicone (I expect leaks on the baffles) and hopefully my glass####s order will be here by the weekend so I can hook up the plumbing and get hubby to help me strengthen the stand. :)

I picked up dry rock from the LFS. It's really hole-y and I'm hoping I can bust it up and make a really cool scape by hiding zip ties in the holes to hold the rock in neat formations. I have a piece of LR that I had removed from my tank plus a piece of tonga branch I got some nems on cycling in a bin of SW now too. I may buy some rock from the BRS group buy too just to have something else to play around with.

That set up is looking sharp!

With all these upgrades I'm so tempted to get my upgrade started. But I promised myself(and my husband) I would let the current nano stay up for a year before upgrading.

If it wasn't for the heat issue with the AIO tank I wouldn't be upgrading either. As it is I'm not willing to risk losing everything when I have a bigger and better set up just waiting for me to put in the work. I'm going to miss my cute little Biocube though. I may just have to move it to the basement where it will stay cooler and it can be my QT/frag tank. :)

Yeah I had huge issues with my BC 14 during the summer. Luckily no fish were added until the fall(I set it up in the summer). Now I have my 25 gallon cube with a screen top and I have no heat issues.

surgicalsense

Danyello Miracle macro will be ready end of this month or sooner if it keeps this crap up with the way it is growing :happy:

... clip off a small piece and place it in your Reef at work.

Just read about the loss of your clown. Sorry to hear about that. May he rest in peace.

Hope you have better luck with the larger tank.

Here's the progress of my 40B so far:

Tank after painting the back black and bottom sand-colored:

40B.jpg

That's my new frag rack + 24 plugs on the right side. The intake is on the left and the return is on the right.

And here's the sump. I put in 4 baffles and painted it the same as the 40B. The first chamber on the left will have an eggcrate media rack, the second section will be the fuge with lots of sand and macro, and then on the other side of the bubble trap will be the return pump.

sump.jpg

So did I do okay?! :D

I haven't decided if I'm going to use it as a frag tank, sell it, or keep it as something else. I'll let you know if I break it down though.

Looks Awesome!

Thanks RC and Candy!

Look what is now on the buffet where I hope it will live for many years to come! :happy:

40B-1.jpg

Hubby is taking the shelf out of the buffet so I can fit the sump in tonight. Then I just wait for my gl@ssh0les order and finish the plumbing! :D

Very nice. Should be a very good setup when all complete.

One thing though, is it really called a buffet? When I hear that word I think of "All you can Eat...Buffet"

:happydance:

Now you will have so much room!

I know! It looks so huge next to my biocube! :lol:

Very nice. Should be a very good setup when all complete.

One thing though, is it really called a buffet? When I hear that word I think of "All you can Eat...Buffet"

Yep! It's for setting up a buffet on, hence the name! We kept random things like my sewing machine and the baby's crib bedding in it and just decorated the top. It was built in the mid-1900's so it's solid wood and very sturdy. I'm happy the hubby is letting me abuse it like this! :lol:

Bad news. Something has died but I don't know what. The tank is cloudy and the back chambers are gooey. I've done two water changes and it still looks and smells awful. I'm getting more water now and hubby is plumbing up the 40B so we can get ready. I'm starting to think AIO tanks are more hassle than they're worth. I'm going to tear apart this tank and pray I can save all my livestock.

TeflonTomDosh
Bad news. Something has died but I don't know what. The tank is cloudy and the back chambers are gooey. I've done two water changes and it still looks and smells awful. I'm getting more water now and hubby is plumbing up the 40B so we can get ready. I'm starting to think AIO tanks are more hassle than they're worth. I'm going to tear apart this tank and pray I can save all my livestock.

maybe that nem? didn't you say you couldn't find it in a previous post? The good news is, that's the worst of it when they pass, a gooey mass. From what I hear, there isn't much, if any decay @ all :)

TeflonTomDosh

Hey, out of curiosity? What'd you pay for that 40b? That size doesnt really have my dream footprint, but I think with the customization I could do with it, I could make it into something really special. This lady has one listed on CL local to me

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/for/2996827007.html

I'm pretty sure I can get it for about half of what she's asking for it. Then I have another tank I can put livestock in until I get this one drilled, sumped, all that jazz.

Good deal??

It has to be the nem. Nothing else is MIA. Hubby is plumbing the 40B right now. My water is just about ready so I'll be tearing apart the back chambers and changing as much as I can now. Hopefully the 40B will be cycling this week.

It has to be the nem. Nothing else is MIA. Hubby is plumbing the 40B right now. My water is just about ready so I'll be tearing apart the back chambers and changing as much as I can now. Hopefully the 40B will be cycling this week.

Have you tested your water for ammonia/nitrite? I've heard dying anemones can foul up the water pretty quickly, especially in a smaller tank. Good luck with everything. I hope it all works out.

Archived