Coral Vue Hydros

JayPagi's Shallow Reef

JayPagi

You are most welcome! Hype and Giga's tank have been my faves for a while and I'm sad that neither tank is still around (though Giga seems to be brewing something new.) I'm glad there are gorgeous tanks like yours to fill the void. :)

Could you share your other favorites so I can browse some more inspiring tanks?

Some of my favorites are TheDoogan's Shallow Rimless Reef, March's 15g and Asureefs's 40g Artisan. I follow a few more but I love these tanks they all have great pictures and keep a great log of activity.

I'm also learning new things - like burying acans in the sand! Are they still on plugs or rock?

These acans I bought as frags on small rocks. They grow faster on LR but do really well in the sand too.

With my tank being 94cm (37" approx) long shallow and fairly slim at 34cm 13" approx would I need two Ecotech Radions (they're offering them to me on finance in the UK.

Seems like one unit wouldn't stretch the 94 cm span of the tank, i like the way with the radions you can use them wirelessly in conjunction with the vortechs to create a storm.

I guess 94cm would be a fairly long tank so two would be needed. It's a really cool "show off" feature.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! I am going to look into the other tanks as well if they are your favorites. It's also good to know that acans grow better on live rock. Though I have NO clue how to get mine off the frag plug. :)

Thank you! I am going to look into the other tanks as well if they are your favorites. It's also good to know that acans grow better on live rock. Though I have NO clue how to get mine off the frag plug. :)

What I meant was if they are on a surface like rock or a frag plug they will tend to spread faster (sprout new heads) if they have to build their own skeleton once they over grow the live rock or frag plug it can take longer.

Congrats on TOTM! Very nice pics.

Thank-you!

I noticed some pages back you mentioned that the ELOS had trouble holding the level constant becasue your overflow changed level too quickly. Did this work itself out? Or did you have to do anything to remedy this?

I ask becasue I am in the process of getting the ELOS from another forum member. Thanks for any help!

Congrats on TOTM!

I noticed some pages back you mentioned that the ELOS had trouble holding the level constant becasue your overflow changed level too quickly. Did this work itself out? Or did you have to do anything to remedy this?

I ask becasue I am in the process of getting the ELOS from another forum member. Thanks for any help!

Congrats on TOTM!

It turned out that I had the overflow set up too shallow and the water level inside the overflow would go from and inch down to almost empty in less time than it took the elos to dispense. I lowered the overflow and it solved the problem. Keep in mind my elos sensor is on the eheim pick up tube inside the overflow and I have a very small overflow so the water levels change quickly. It was just a matter of setting it up correctly. The elos will detect a low level and I believe if it still has a low level after 15 minutes it will dispense. Then it will continue to dispense every 15 minutes until the low level goes away; in my tank it only dispenses once.

Thanks BTW.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while since my last update so here goes...

I seem to be getting more and more algae on the sand bed lately and I have doubled my weekly water changes to try and lower my nitrates. I think a lot of phosphates and nitrates are getting stuck in the sand bed so I have been siphoning on every water change for the last few months. I also added some Purigen to the canister filter and I'm hoping it helps. I purchased some new frags the other day which included a small batch of GSP that I keep on a secluded rock and a browned out SPS colony that I'm hoping bounces back in color (fingers crossed).

Over the next couple of months I will be converting this tank to include a sump/fuge and likely a protein skimmer later this year. This means building an entirely new stand and re-arranging the room the tank is currently in. All my plumbing parts arrived today and I purchased a standard 10gal tank to be used as the sump. Stand design still being discussed. I'm likely to keep the same light up but I also plan on converting it to "full spectrum", which I hope benefits some coral growth. Once the sump and stand are complete and everything is up and running I hope to start dosing regularly to also boost coral growth. If all goes to plan I think sometime next year it will be time for a tank upgrade.

Wish me luck.

About a month ago I switched to Reef Crystals and my parameters have been much much higher and it's leading to a lot more growth my tank looks better now than it ever did. My acans are out of control it seems like I'm seeing new heads every week. I mentioned that I picked up some SPS the other day so here are some pictures of that browned out Acropora.... I know I'm actually posting pics of a browned out Acro but honestly I've already seen some pigmentation come back to the tips and I'm excited to see what happens.

8562741229_589d3f7906_c.jpg

8563846664_9952c1b35d_c.jpg

8563845926_92b5910103_c.jpg

8562740157_f8f09c53f1_c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Quick Update

Last week I tore my tank down and moved all the coral and critters into a temporary holding tank set up in my basement. Why? Well we wanted to paint/re-decorate and I wanted to drill! Over the last few months I have been busy building a sump and ordering all the necessary equipment. Last night I finally drilled my tank, it was fairly simple to be honest just go slow and make sure you have lots of battery life in your drill. I've taken some pictures of the process but I can't upload them at home due to a broken computer, but I will post ASAP if anyone is still interested. I have a ton of work left to do but hopefully I have this system up and running in a couple of weeks.

Received the last of my fittings and tubing yesterday. First step is to quickly plumb the sump for test purposes, once everything checks out I will hard plumb the system.

Received the last of my fittings and tubing yesterday. First step is to quickly plumb the sump for test purposes, once everything checks out I will hard plumb the system.

Really awesome to hear that man. Excited to see how it turns out. :D

Really awesome to hear that man. Excited to see how it turns out. :D

Yeah so am I. I'm really excited to get this going in the right direction again. I hope with the addition of the sump and protein skimmer maintenance will be a lot easier.

Just ordered a new heater for the sump it's a Cobalt Neo-Therm, looks really slick. Also on the look out for a dosing pump for a good price.

Quick Update

Last week I tore my tank down and moved all the coral and critters into a temporary holding tank set up in my basement. Why? Well we wanted to paint/re-decorate and I wanted to drill! Over the last few months I have been busy building a sump and ordering all the necessary equipment. Last night I finally drilled my tank, it was fairly simple to be honest just go slow and make sure you have lots of battery life in your drill. I've taken some pictures of the process but I can't upload them at home due to a broken computer, but I will post ASAP if anyone is still interested. I have a ton of work left to do but hopefully I have this system up and running in a couple of weeks.

That's super cool, man! I'd love to see those pictures when you're ready, please! :)

What about the sump? Have you decided on its internal layout?

That's super cool, man! I'd love to see those pictures when you're ready, please! :)

What about the sump? Have you decided on its internal layout?

I will log the process and take some pictures.

It's a simple DIY 10g sump. First chamber is 6" for a filter bag holder (yet to make) and the protein skimmer. Then a bubble trap and a 6" Fuge followed by another bubble trap. The final chamber is for the return pump.

What you doing for an overflow?

I drilled the tank and I'm going with just a 1" bulkhead with a screen like the "3 Foot Office Nano" by Scorched. 1/2" bulkhead for return.

Amazing tank! Very happy to see such a nice tank from a fellow Durham Region'er. I'm in Ajax and wondering where you picked up your acans and frags? Great work!

Amazing tank! Very happy to see such a nice tank from a fellow Durham Region'er. I'm in Ajax and wondering where you picked up your acans and frags? Great work!

Thanks man. I recently moved from Ajax to Whitby. I bought my frags from North American Fish Breeders but I would check out http://www.fragbox.ca for some great looking frags. March owns and operates the site, he is a member here on NR (and a former TOTM winner) and he is a great guy all around. Also check out the local forum http://www.aquariumpros.ca .

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I was due for a quick update so here it is.

Well my sump is now done and completely plumbed up, tomorrow I will be filling the tank with RO and doing a leak test. I still need to figure out if I will be using my existing light or opting for another approach. No pictures yet but I will share this little video I uploaded from my iPhone. I purchased some magnetic locks to keep "little hands" from turning off pumps, lights, etc and playing in the sump.

Nanos like this are just what nanoreef is all about

Thanks Giga I appreciate that. I've been following the new build can't wait to see you fill that space.

I managed to fill and test the tank/sump yesterday and to my surprise there were no leaks :D. I will eventually buy a second heater as the current Cobalt heater has taken close to 24 hours to get up to temperature, anyways it's better to have 2 running just in case 1 fails. I added salt to the RO test water yesterday and this week I will be transferring my LR/LS over from the temporary 10g tank. The process for this is to drain the display add my LR, sand, re-fill the tank with existing water from the 10g tank, let things settle and then add my LS. I have my ATO, MP10 and light on the temporary tank so all this will have to be brought over once the LS is back in. Lot's to do but I love having the sump, maintenance is sure to be less of a burden.

Pictures to come soon... I promise.

Phewww... last night was a late one. I finally moved all my LR, Corals and fish over to the main tank. First I removed some water from the main tank and started bringing all the loose corals over in a bucket of water that I drained from the temporary tank. Then I removed my larger pieces of LR and broke them down into smaller pieces as I found they were always too big. I transferred my LS over to a temporary bucket filled with fresh SW and began creating an aqua-scape in my main tank. Once I was happy with the new scape I set up my MP10 and ATO. I ran into a small issue with my light. If you remember on my last set up the light was hung and the way the wires came into the fixture they covered some holes I had tapped that would allow me to wall mount my fixture on a custom bracket. So I had to remove the wires and re-solder them at 11PM. No big deal I stayed calm and got it done though I will have to modify the existing light cover as it won't fit with the wall bracket installed. After I tested all the electrical gadgets I brought over the fish, crabs and shrimp.

So I am back up and running with an all NEW setup. Still lots of wire tidying and coral positioning to be done but I'm on the right track for long term success.

Phewww... last night was a late one. I finally moved all my LR, Corals and fish over to the main tank. First I removed some water from the main tank and started bringing all the loose corals over in a bucket of water that I drained from the temporary tank. Then I removed my larger pieces of LR and broke them down into smaller pieces as I found they were always too big. I transferred my LS over to a temporary bucket filled with fresh SW and began creating an aqua-scape in my main tank. Once I was happy with the new scape I set up my MP10 and ATO. I ran into a small issue with my light. If you remember on my last set up the light was hung and the way the wires came into the fixture they covered some holes I had tapped that would allow me to wall mount my fixture on a custom bracket. So I had to remove the wires and re-solder them at 11PM. No big deal I stayed calm and got it done though I will have to modify the existing light cover as it won't fit with the wall bracket installed. After I tested all the electrical gadgets I brought over the fish, crabs and shrimp.

So I am back up and running with an all NEW setup. Still lots of wire tidying and coral positioning to be done but I'm on the right track for long term success.

This is awesome! :) I can't wait for some pictures.

a.

This is awesome! :) I can't wait for some pictures.

a.

Thanks... the tank looks really great.

The new protein skimmer is already pulling out yellow skimmate. It's not even broken in yet, good stuff.

Archived