Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JayPagi's Shallow Reef

JayPagi

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No nitrate at all? Feed more.

None at all... I will try feeding a bit more as some say they like the water a little dirty. My SPS are doing well in the clean water I guess it's just a fine line.

what led kit did you use again? i think im going to try that on a 60f

It's a custom kit I assembled from Rapid LED... I started with a 4.25" x 16" heat sink, meanwell drivers and enough LED's to work with the drivers and I also upgraded to the DIM4 controller.

jedimasterben
None at all... I will try feeding a bit more as some say they like the water a little dirty. My SPS are doing well in the clean water I guess it's just a fine line.

Not really. SPS need nitrate to survive, just like zoas do. Zoas can handle quite a bit more, though. Keep it at 5ppm or less (but still measurable) and SPS and zoas alike will thrive. :)

Not really. SPS need nitrate to survive, just like zoas do. Zoas can handle quite a bit more, though. Keep it at 5ppm or less (but still measurable) and SPS and zoas alike will thrive. :)

Should I dose more and hold off on the water changes? I do a 4 gal water change every week and clean out the canister filter once every 2 or 3 changes. Or just try to feed more often... right now I feed flake food once a day and brine/mysis every other day.

jedimasterben
Should I dose more and hold off on the water changes? I do a 4 gal water change every week and clean out the canister filter once every 2 or 3 changes. Or just try to feed more often... right now I feed flake food once a day and brine/mysis every other day.

Hmm. You don't have a lot of fish or I'd keep my recommendation to feed more, now that I look at your tank specs again. I would switch from flake food to a good pellet, New Life Spectrum or a combination of Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 & 2, flakes are typically less nutritious and more "filler" than pellets are, and I can attest to both NLS and ON as being top-notch pellets.

Do you have any type of coral food?

Hmm. You don't have a lot of fish or I'd keep my recommendation to feed more, now that I look at your tank specs again. I would switch from flake food to a good pellet, New Life Spectrum or a combination of Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 & 2, flakes are typically less nutritious and more "filler" than pellets are, and I can attest to both NLS and ON as being top-notch pellets.

Do you have any type of coral food?

I'll try a better pellet food. I don't specifically feed the tank anything in terms of a coral food; I do spot feed the corals that eat... ie Duncan, Nems and Acans. What kind of food would the Zoa's and SPS benefit from? BTW thanks for all the help.

jedimasterben
I'll try a better pellet food. I don't specifically feed the tank anything in terms of a coral food; I do spot feed the corals that eat... ie Duncan, Nems and Acans. What kind of food would the Zoa's and SPS benefit from? BTW thanks for all the help.

The best food for everything is Reef Cleaners Filter Feeder Food. Fish, inverts, softies, LPS, SPS, NPS, everything eats it! Frozen Cyclop-eeze is a close second because everything but SPS eat it. Third would be Golden Pearls from Brine Shrimp Direct. They have sizes for everything, I use the 5-50 micron for SPS and my clams, and the 300-500 micron (which are the same size as artemia nauplii) for everything else. I also use Coral Frenzy for the SPS and clams and frozen mysis for the fish, anemones, and LPS/NPS.

I feed a lot. :)

Here is my average daily feeding:

1/16 teaspoon NLS Thera+ 0.5mm pellets

1/8 teaspoon Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets

1/8 teaspoon Reef Cleaners filter feeder food

1/16 teaspoon Coral Frenzy

1/16 teaspoon 300-500 micron Golden Pearls

1/8 teaspoon 5-50 micron Golden Pearls

1/8 teaspoon frozen Cyclop-eeze

1 whole cube PE mysis

10mL Algagen Phycopure Phytoplankton

5mL Algagen Phycopure Copepod blend

2mL Aquavitro Fuel

2mL Algagen Decap'd Brine

And 2-3 times per day I simply feed NLS or ON pellets for my anthias and chromis, since they both need several feedings each day.

And actually, if you check out the first video I posted (

), some of my smaller people eater palys are catching and eating whole mysis. :scarry:
The best food for everything is Reef Cleaners Filter Feeder Food. Fish, inverts, softies, LPS, SPS, NPS, everything eats it! Frozen Cyclop-eeze is a close second because everything but SPS eat it. Third would be Golden Pearls from Brine Shrimp Direct. They have sizes for everything, I use the 5-50 micron for SPS and my clams, and the 300-500 micron (which are the same size as artemia nauplii) for everything else. I also use Coral Frenzy for the SPS and clams and frozen mysis for the fish, anemones, and LPS/NPS.

I feed a lot. :)

Here is my average daily feeding:

1/16 teaspoon NLS Thera+ 0.5mm pellets

1/8 teaspoon Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets

1/8 teaspoon Reef Cleaners filter feeder food

1/16 teaspoon Coral Frenzy

1/16 teaspoon 300-500 micron Golden Pearls

1/8 teaspoon 5-50 micron Golden Pearls

1/8 teaspoon frozen Cyclop-eeze

1 whole cube PE mysis

10mL Algagen Phycopure Phytoplankton

5mL Algagen Phycopure Copepod blend

2mL Aquavitro Fuel

2mL Algagen Decap'd Brine

And 2-3 times per day I simply feed NLS or ON pellets for my anthias and chromis, since they both need several feedings each day.

And actually, if you check out the first video I posted (

), some of my smaller people eater palys are catching and eating whole mysis. :scarry:

That's a massive schedule to follow everyday... I like the idea of the Reef Cleaners "everything" food. I looked on the Reef Cleaners website but I couldn't find it, do you have an updated link?

jedimasterben
That's a massive schedule to follow everyday... I like the idea of the Reef Cleaners "everything" food. I looked on the Reef Cleaners website but I couldn't find it, do you have an updated link?

Unfortunately John doesn't have it very often. I would PM him and ask him when he thinks he'll get some more in. I would feed more than one thing, though. It may be nutritious, but eating the same thing constantly isn't good long term. :)

Unfortunately John doesn't have it very often. I would PM him and ask him when he thinks he'll get some more in. I would feed more than one thing, though. It may be nutritious, but eating the same thing constantly isn't good long term. :)

Well I'm in Canada so it might be a little much to ship from Reef Cleaners but I will use the list you compiled of different foods to start feeding my tank differently. I appreciate all the help!

jedimasterben
Well I'm in Canada so it might be a little much to ship from Reef Cleaners but I will use the list you compiled of different foods to start feeding my tank differently. I appreciate all the help!

I don't think it would be - if John can't get you a good deal shipping standard US mail, I will bug him til he gets some more and ship some out to ya myself. :)

I don't think it would be - if John can't get you a good deal shipping standard US mail, I will bug him til he gets some more and ship some out to ya myself. :)

Oh I wouldn't ask you to do that is it a frozen food? Have you heard of Rogger's Reef Food before?

Rogger's Reef Food

• 2 weeks later...
try cyclopeeze!

I bought some cyclopeeze and coral frenzy and they seem to be working. I lost a few small colonies of Zoa's before getting the food though. Good thing my SPS is looking amazing they are all starting to color up and I'm seeing some noticeable growth. The coral frenzy food is really amazing the colors my Acans put out during and after a feeding is incredible.

I have realized one problem with all this extra feeding... I have a noticeable dead spot in one corner and it's leading to a lot of cyano. I need to increase flow to that area. I tried adding a small powerhead but it's causing fits for my hammer and duncan corals. If you look at my current FTS there is a small rock in the back left corner that had some GSP on it, well that rock is now gone and that's where the dead spot is. I was thinking MP10 but I can't justify spending the money right now. So I will have to get creative.

• 3 weeks later...

Cyano can be a real pain in the ace. I've been using coral frenzy lately too and it seems to work wonders. Though I don't have as much luck with my acans as you seem to have.

I know this won't get high praise here, but I used red slime remover in my tank and wow did it work wonders. I know, figure out your husbandry, etc etc. It's obvious that you know it's an issue related to flow, so that's a good thing. And it seems to be isolated in your tank, which is also a huge plus.

Cyano can be a real pain in the ace. I've been using coral frenzy lately too and it seems to work wonders. Though I don't have as much luck with my acans as you seem to have.

I spot feed my acans brine, it works well!

Its too bad you don't have a skimmer. You could vinegar dose to get rid of the cyano.

I know this won't get high praise here, but I used red slime remover in my tank and wow did it work wonders. I know, figure out your husbandry, etc etc. It's obvious that you know it's an issue related to flow, so that's a good thing. And it seems to be isolated in your tank, which is also a huge plus.

A skimmer would be awesome maybe when I move my tank I'll add a sump and skimmer. It's isolated and it hasn't spread any further lately so I'm hoping the creatures are slowly eating it. I removed a rock from that corner and I believe what was under the rock combined with the dead spot helped kick start the cyano. I hope to add an MP10 before years end and hope that the increased flow and ability to customize it helps.

wow u feed a lot!!!!!!

You think? Basically I feed my fish pellets once everyday, Coral Frenzy or Cyclopeeze every second day and finally I spot feed brine to the corals once every 4 days. Do you think it's too much?

Edit: When I spot feed I don't feed coral frenzy that day.

I think they may have been looking at my post a few posts up lol. You don't feed hardly anything in comparison ;)

Word... I gotta get this tank back on track.

8058088864_237d426e16_z.jpg

Ric munching on a piece of brine.

8058089381_59b96aa429_z.jpg

Hopefully the beginnings of a new Zoa colony.

8058086244_f6e5cdd389_z.jpg

My favourite photography subject.

8058125095_6ea383f4ca_z.jpg

The latest FTS... crappy pic.

8058177538_c2e1bc1b71_z.jpg

Best shot of the night.

Archived