Cultivated Reef

Ballz' 2.5G Dwarf Puffer Tank

iball1804

once you get your HOB, it will likely have a carbon bag included. use that and that will take out the tannins quick. if you put in DW that is good at leaching tannin, then just replace the carbon pad whenever the tannins return - you notice yellowing water. eventually it will stop and you will have a clear tank.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good! I'll keep you all updated. I should be getting some cash soon, which'll go to wood and plants. Maybe even the puffer! fingerscrossed

So if my other FW stuff sells today, I'll probably go to my LFS and get some plants plus a little dwarf puffer! fingerscrossed

I'm going to my LFS in the next hour or two, and I'm getting a dwarf puffer! They never get them in, and there's luckily one one left! fingerscrossed

I got a dwarf puffer :happy:

Must... Look... Away...

6778120259_d9df894b7a.jpg

Checking out his new home

6778122531_1366c00dba.jpg

Hunting... the plants? :lol:

6778124381_8e0069032f.jpg

He's really small and skinny. Hopefully LOTS of bloodworms will fatten him up. This is crunch time. He needs to eat.

FTS in a little bit.

Is it safe to take plants/rocks/wood from a local creek? I've got a creek about 100m away from my house and wanted to "harvest" it. :lol: Is it safe?

Considering it's pretty far away from people, and it's really clean. It's probably 60F around here. I'll probably just take some wood and boil it.

i wouldn't use the wood, could just rot in your tank

i think that's why people use driftwood

hopefully the plants won't die, 15F difference?

So I got one type of plant that's pretty. I sold my old bowfront tank and so hopefully I can buy my Azoo Palm filter now! omgomgomg

driftwood is also wood and thus both rot in aquariums over time.

if you get stuff from your creek, first sanitize by baking or boiling the objects, and also make sure to keep your hands clean after working with them. wild environments are home to many parasites. while most wont bother a person, there is always a small chance you could get something really annoying and troublesome, so be cautious. there is also the danger of the same thing to your fish.

speaking of which, if you suspect your puffer to be infected with internal parasites - good indicator is the fish staying skinny after a month or two of vigorous feeding- then you will have to start de-worming the fish. its a simple process. i am sure its discussed on dwarf puffer forums.

Archived