Top Shelf Aquatics

Ballz' 2.5G Dwarf Puffer Tank

iball1804

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently if you add driftwood, you need to let it soak/cure for a while (google it or someone here probably knows). The piece I got had been sitting in a bucket for a few months so I was able to put it right into my tank. Maybe the soaking is to get the tannins out?

Apparently if you add driftwood, you need to let it soak/cure for a while (google it or someone here probably knows). The piece I got had been sitting in a bucket for a few months so I was able to put it right into my tank. Maybe the soaking is to get the tannins out?

Yep

If you dont your water will turn yellow, I think that happened to me.

I boiled my drift wood, but I think I should have done it longer..

what i do is just soak it for a couple days and then put it directly into the tank. I like the tannins but if its too much just add some carbon and it will get rid of it in no time

Have you found any snails in your tank yet? I accidently killed one and I see another right now :huh:

I hope this isn't the beginning of trouble!!!!

what i do is just soak it for a couple days and then put it directly into the tank. I like the tannins but if its too much just add some carbon and it will get rid of it in no time

Sounds good! I'll get a nice piece and soak it.

Have you found any snails in your tank yet? I accidently killed one and I see another right now :huh:

I hope this isn't the beginning of trouble!!!!

Yeah I've got some snails...

Only because I put them there! :lol:

Actually,dwarf puffers are native to the flooded forests of southeast Asia and it's deltas both of which have a large amount of tannins in the water,the puffer thrives with tannins,the same with dendrobatid tadpoles,if you added the mopani and a small bag of almond leaves to provide a save-haven for snails,the puffers natural prey I highly advise adding almond leaves and mopani,and I advise feeding the puffer snails,mine would crack the shell open with his beak and suck out the snail just my 2 cents

No I don't have any test kits. I have only owned a test kit once. I have only tested the water in my reef once... At the LFS. :P

So we want tannins? It's not a problem for me at all, I'm just trying to replicate their natural environment.

then some dried leaves may not be a bad idea. also deleted my snail post lol. this is a puffer tank after all. i seemed to have forgotten that :slap:

I'd suggest getting at least some of the tannin's out, otherwise your tank will look like its filled with cola.

A nice piece of driftwood can really add to the dimensions of a planted tank. If you are going for a biotope sort of idea, take a look at what moss grows in the area and tie some on the wood with some thing fishing line. There is so much you can do with a small planted tank.

I'd suggest getting at least some of the tannin's out, otherwise your tank will look like its filled with cola.

A nice piece of driftwood can really add to the dimensions of a planted tank. If you are going for a biotope sort of idea, take a look at what moss grows in the area and tie some on the wood with some thing fishing line. There is so much you can do with a small planted tank.

agreed, you dont want the water looking like coca cola

I suggest you don't get mopani from what I've read is that it will leach tannins for much longer time than african root wood would. I boiled my wood about 10 times to get most the tannins out. I don't mind some tannins but when my tank get to yellow I just run some fresh carbon until it's clear.

If you find yourself needing co2 later down the road I suggest diy sugar and yeast method. Very simple and cost less than $5

Quick driftwood facts

Archived