Coral Vue Hydros

43g Rimless Miracles Reef

cbort

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the tank!

Thanks Animalmaster! Good to hear from ya!

Another update...

Picked up a new toy today! Any guesses to what it is...?

Time to start Dosing!!!!

Picked up a Litermeter III w/remote pump from a fellow local reefer

litermeter1.jpg

Litermeter2.jpg

Litermeter3.jpg

The fellow reefer also included 7 Jugs of white stuff!!

Litermeter4.jpg

3 Jugs of High Purity Calcium Chloride

Litermeter5.jpg

2 Jugs of High Purity Soda Ash

Litermeter6.jpg

2 Jugs of High Purity Magnesium Sulfate (gonna have to track down a second remote pump for this one tho)

Litermeter7.jpg

Quick shot of the package!

Litermeter8.jpg

Now to read the manual and figure this thing out! Any suggestions on starting out dosing on a 43g?

Thanks for tagging along!

Well, after doing some research today here is my plan for dosing:

1.) Raise Magnesium to 1300 slowly testing 2 hours after each dose. 1200-1300 is the safe zone.

2.) Test Mangnesium every other week from that point on not allowing it to drop out of the safe zone ever.

3.) Raise Alk to about 9.3 slowly.

4) Raise Calcium levels to around 420ppm

5.) Monitor pH constantly.

Am I leaving anything out? My tank currently is LPS/SPS heavy and only getting heavier. Thanks in advance for your help!

albertthiel
Well, after doing some research today here is my plan for dosing:

1.) Raise Magnesium to 1300 slowly testing 2 hours after each dose. 1200-1300 is the safe zone.

2.) Test Mangnesium every other week from that point on not allowing it to drop out of the safe zone ever.

3.) Raise Alk to about 9.3 slowly.

4) Raise Calcium levels to around 420ppm

5.) Monitor pH constantly.

Am I leaving anything out? My tank currently is LPS/SPS heavy and only getting heavier. Thanks in advance for your help!

sounds like a plan ... keep us posted but I would test more often if I may make a suggestion

Albert

albertthiel
Time to start Dosing!!!!

Picked up a Litermeter III w/remote pump from a fellow local reefer

2 Jugs of High Purity Soda Ash

Litermeter6.jpg

Now to read the manual and figure this thing out! Any suggestions on starting out dosing on a 43g?

Thanks for tagging along!

Soda ash, also known as washing soda... is sodium carbonate ... did they give you instructions for its use (it's more than likely for hardness stability and pH control IMO but I am curious what it says on the label and what dosage they recommend ... Thanks ....

Albert

sounds like a plan ... keep us posted but I would test more often if I may make a suggestion

Albert

Thanks Albert for the advice! I agree with less than a 50g tank, I will be testing constantly. Don't want to throw things out of wack.

Oh wow, so many new packages! You're going to dose all 7 of those?

Out of those 7, there are only three different additives. Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Soda ash, also known as washing soda... is sodium carbonate ... did they give you instructions for its use (it's more than likely for hardness stability and pH control IMO but I am curious what it says on the label and what dosage they recommend ... Thanks ....

Albert

Albert, I didn't get any instructions for it, nor have I even hardly looked at it, but hopefully will later today. I will get a pic of the dosing instructions when I get a chance. On BRS, they say that Sodium Carbonate is what they recommend you use in a two part daily dosing like I will be doing. Do you personally have any experience with dosing or dosing with a Litermeter?

albertthiel
Out of those 7, there are only three different additives. Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Alert, I didn't get any instructions for it, nor have I even hardly looked at it, but hopefully will later today. I will get a pic of the dosing instructions when I get a chance. On BRS, they say that Sodium Carbonate is what they recommend you use in a two part daily dosing like I will be doing. Do you personally have any experience with dosing or dosing with a Litermeter?

With sodium carb yet but not with what you call a Litermeter ... is that some kind of dosing pump ? Let me know ...

Albert

With sodium carb yet but not with what you call a Litermeter ... is that some kind of dosing pump ? Let me know ...

Albert

Yes the Litermeter is an electronic dosing pump with a digital readout. You can program it to dose your tank with 3 different channels. Hoping to get some time next week to get it hooked up. Going to order some Elos test kits first thing Monday AM.

albertthiel
Yes the Litermeter is an electronic dosing pump with a digital readout. You can program it to dose your tank with 3 different channels. Hoping to get some time next week to get it hooked up. Going to order some Elos test kits first thing Monday AM.

Yes I thought it was one but it's nice that it has 3 channels so you can dose 3 different liquids I guess

Albert

Yes I thought it was one but it's nice that it has 3 channels so you can dose 3 different liquids I guess

Albert

Bad part about them is that the unit comes with 1 pump, and then you have to purchase the other two pumps. Mine came with a total of two pumps and to purchase another remote pump, they run about 150.00. I am not sure if I will need to dose Alk an Mg daily. Anyone have any thoughts? Do you dose all three daily Ca, Alk, and Mg, or just the Ca and add the other two as needed when they test low?

albertthiel
Bad part about them is that the unit comes with 1 pump, and then you have to purchase the other two pumps. Mine came with a total of two pumps and to purchase another remote pump, they run about 150.00. I am not sure if I will need to dose Alk an Mg daily. Anyone have any thoughts? Do you dose all three daily Ca, Alk, and Mg, or just the Ca and add the other two as needed when they test low?

Leave the Magn out of the dosing system would be my rec ... you can always test that and add a supple manually when needed. Magn does not get depleted all that quickly anyway IME

Albert

Leave the Magn out of the dosing system would be my rec ... you can always test that and add a supple manually when needed. Magn does not get depleted all that quickly anyway IME

Albert

+1 totally agree i dose mag manually.

Albert

+1 totally agree i dose mag manually.

Awesome! Thanks guys! That is good news! Now I won't need to add another pump. Is there anything else you recommend dosing daily or manually?

albertthiel
Awesome! Thanks guys! That is good news! Now I won't need to add another pump. Is there anything else you recommend dosing daily or manually?

How much to dose depends on the changes in the params of the tank water and before you start dosing I would take measurements for a few days in a row at the same time of day and see what changes you find.

Then based on that decide how much you need to dose to keep the levels at the stable level you wish.

Alternatively start dosing small amounts and see how that affects your water quality and based on that adjust the amount and timing of the dosing ...

You'll have to play around with it for a while ... automated dosing is great of course but you have to find the proper amount and frequency.

How much to dose depends on the changes in the params of the tank water and before you start dosing I would take measurements for a few days in a row at the same time of day and see what changes you find.

Then based on that decide how much you need to dose to keep the levels at the stable level you wish.

Alternatively start dosing small amounts and see how that affects your water quality and based on that adjust the amount and timing of the dosing ...

You'll have to play around with it for a while ... automated dosing is great of course but you have to find the proper amount and frequency.

Thanks for the advice! Will be hooking it up as soon as i get my magnesium levels up.

With all the new electronics, i decided to create a “control panel” to keep everything organized. Here is what i've got so far. Room still available for the controller that will be coming soon.

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0071-1.jpg

Used bulkheads to run the wires

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Final Product next to the tank

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

albertthiel
With all the new electronics, i decided to create a “control panel” to keep everything organized. Here is what i've got so far. Room still available for the controller that will be coming soon.

Very nicely done and looks real professional. Kudos

Dude, neat work on that new stand!!! Some more pictures of the radions/corals please? haha

Thanks! New pics with corals coming up!

Very nicely done and looks real professional. Kudos

Thanks Albert!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived