Cultivated Reef

Stoops718's 12 Gallon Fluval Edge

Stoops718

I believe you are getting a AI Nano! Excited to see what it looks like! Which one did you go for? Blue???

Oh and the Tang has a new larger home now :( sad to see him go

Just got it today. I am at work now, but i'll post as soon as it's installed.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news and bad news...

Bad news first. My Sixline got to my Firefish. He has been trying to get at him for the past couple of days and I noticed some fraying to the FIrefish's fins. I quarantined him in the tank in a small clear plastic container for a few days and he seemed less stressed. I put the Firefish back in the display last night and I attempted to catch the Wrasse but to no avail. The Wrasse didn't seem to bother the Firefish for the rest of night. I re-scaped to give the 2 fish more options for caves. But I guess I made the mistake of giving him the benefit of the doubt. This morning all was well everyone ate and no one bothered anyone. After lunch my wife called and said the Wrasse got at the the firefish and this time it was fatal. :( Bottom line is Wrasse is getting the boot and I'm down 2 fish. I don't want to risk the Clowns getting attacked or any other new fish I may decide to get. So tonight he is going to the LFS (if they will take him) or he's up for grabs to anyone local.

Good news!!!

I got my AI Nano and controller today. Thanks to member Synrg for the great price and the fast delivery. Anyone other AI Nano owners have any suggestions on the settings?

saltwatercoral
Good news and bad news...

Bad news first. My Sixline got to my Firefish. He has been trying to get at him for the past couple of days and I noticed some fraying to the FIrefish's fins. I quarantined him in the tank in a small clear plastic container for a few days and he seemed less stressed. I put the Firefish back in the display last night and I attempted to catch the Wrasse but to no avail. The Wrasse didn't seem to bother the Firefish for the rest of night. I re-scaped to give the 2 fish more options for caves. But I guess I made the mistake of giving him the benefit of the doubt. This morning all was well everyone ate and no one bothered anyone. After lunch my wife called and said the Wrasse got at the the firefish and this time it was fatal. :( Bottom line is Wrasse is getting the boot and I'm down 2 fish. I don't want to risk the Clowns getting attacked or any other new fish I may decide to get. So tonight he is going to the LFS (if they will take him) or he's up for grabs to anyone local.

Good news!!!

I got my AI Nano and controller today. Thanks to member Synrg for the great price and the fast delivery. Anyone other AI Nano owners have any suggestions on the settings?

Im not to sure on settings to be honest. It would need to be VERY low considering its that close to everything. I hope someone that has alittle more knowledge with the NANO can help out! Cant wait to see some pics!

Now that I have all the updates I originally wanted for this tank I was thinking of swapping out the AC20 for an Eshopps Nano Overflow box which measures 4" across with a 10-20 gallon output. The opening for the tank measures at 7" across. Would it be more beneficial to get the Eshopps PF 300 which measures at 6" across (not entirely sure it would still fit) with a 30-75 gallon output? What size sump and what pump would I need?

hey stoops, ill be setting up a 12g edge soon and im having a hard time deciding on to get the ai nano or do a diy led set up,

when you get a chance can you take a pic of yours with the ai nano also what are your thoughts on this light with this tank? good enough spread?

hey stoops, ill be setting up a 12g edge soon and im having a hard time deciding on to get the ai nano or do a diy led set up,

when you get a chance can you take a pic of yours with the ai nano also what are your thoughts on this light with this tank? good enough spread?

IMHO unless you really need to get the Fluval Edge 12g for size/space issues I might go with something else. It looks great but is really a PITA to work with. Rock scaping is a major problem and netting fish is almost impossible due to the small size of the opening. I love the fact that the Edge 12g is tall but if I wasn't restriced on space I would go for either the Innovative Marine Nuvo or the JBJ Nano Cube RL Rimless Biotope . If I had the cash I would definitley go for the Elos 36 Gallon System Midi Aquarium. At the end of the day it's all up to you, I just wanted to give you a heads up before you jumped in. Regarding the AI Nano it's amazing. These iPhone pics don't do the AI Nano justice. Hopefully it'll gives you an idea of how bright they are. I also haven't had too much time to play around with the control yet.

This is how I have it mounted. I still have to remove some plastic in the hood to get it to sit flush but that's a weekend project.

post-66032-1329320185_thumb.jpg

White lights only at 100%

post-66032-1329320205_thumb.jpg

Both blue lights at 100%

post-66032-1329320212_thumb.jpg

All lights at 100%

post-66032-1329320218_thumb.jpg

I went with the AI Nano over DIY because of how sleek it looks and it's controllability. If I ever get a new tank it will look great over any tank. Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics stoops, the first one helps alot to give me a idea of the space between the light and filter

I understand that the edge can be hard to scape and so on but that honestly dosnt bother me

I decided to get the 12g edge because this will be a bedroom tank and a larger tank with sump will make to much noise for me,

also ive had opened top tanks before and always found fish on the floor so the edge will stop jumping fish which is another reason besides looks is why i decided on it

After seeing your pics i will go for the ai nano, mp10 and i plan on making a HOB that will be hidden in the back part of the stand that will have a skimmer (hydor nano if i can fit it) heater, fuge, filter media and again if i can get it to fit a ice probe chiller

I decided on making the HOB not only so i could fit a skimmer but to get rid of the heater in the tank

thanks again

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics stoops, the first one helps alot to give me a idea of the space between the light and filter

I understand that the edge can be hard to scape and so on but that honestly dosnt bother me

I decided to get the 12g edge because this will be a bedroom tank and a larger tank with sump will make to much noise for me,

also ive had opened top tanks before and always found fish on the floor so the edge will stop jumping fish which is another reason besides looks is why i decided on it

After seeing your pics i will go for the ai nano, mp10 and i plan on making a HOB that will be hidden in the back part of the stand that will have a skimmer (hydor nano if i can fit it) heater, fuge, filter media and again if i can get it to fit a ice probe chiller

I decided on making the HOB not only so i could fit a skimmer but to get rid of the heater in the tank

thanks again

I was thinking about doing that or picking up the eshopps nano overflow box and hooking up a sump/refugium underneath my stand. The heater I have now works amazing. It's super tiny and fits in the ac20 with chemi-pure and purigen. Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see pics.

I'm planning on adding a sump/refugium and a Eshopps nano overflow box. What size should my sump be and what would be the best pump to get?

where all the coral went? :mellow:

I took that last photo at night. My corals seem to close up a bit with the moonlights on. They have been staying open longer and coloring up nicely since I've gotten the AI Nano LED. I'm trying to get good pics. I'm still figuring out the best camera settings. I've recently purchased some Xenia, Candy canes, Ricordeas, a Red Branching Monti, Green BTA and a Peppermint Shrimp. The Xenia is already starting to grow. I'll post some new pics over the weekend.

Before everyone goes all 5-0 on me about the BTA. I've done tons of research and my tank is stable. The BTA is hiding in a cave right now, It still bubbles up, it's color is better than when I bought it, the mouth is not gaping and it's eating. I put foam over my powerhead and will cover the intake. If I notice that he is not doing well I will not cruelly keep him to see if he does better and will locally sell/trade/donate it.

I am still looking to remove my Sixline if anyone in the Queens/NYC/Long Island area wants to trade him for a frag or something, he is available as long as I can catch him. Fast little buggers.

• 1 month later...

I'm not totally sure, something about making a joke in the lounge that was construed as racism. He said he was surprised he got the ban stick because he himself is Asian, must have been a comment related to that that he made. He is on MR.

• 4 weeks later...

This Bobby1 bloke is hijacking everyone's Fluval Edge thread directing them to buy the UltraBrite LED System. Clearly works for them! Please BAN!

• 2 years later...

Archived