Pod Your Reef

Stoops718's 12 Gallon Fluval Edge

Stoops718

maybe use more "oval" shaped rocks? i had a 7 lbs and i had to break it in half then pile it up once in the tank.

i just re-scaped and i'm happy with it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same setup with the Eco pico LEDs. I have zoas and palm tree polyps which are doing great but my pussey coral is withering away! Maybe it's my water quality as these don't require much light? Anyway your tank looks great. I'm going to mod my light even further with the fluval edge savior led light fixture.

Thanks

James

I have the same setup with the Eco pico LEDs. I have zoas and palm tree polyps which are doing great but my pussey coral is withering away! Maybe it's my water quality as these don't require much light? Anyway your tank looks great. I'm going to mod my light even further with the fluval edge savior led light fixture.

Thanks

James

I was looking into the savior too. Was waiting for some feedback from other 12 gallon Fluval Edge owners. Wingo is actually right in my neighborhood. Where did you get your corals from? Any pics?

Tank looks great so far! Great work.....was wondering if you could post some pics of how your have your LED's mounted? They all fit under the stock hood right, without modifications?

I've got the 6gal Edge and want to get some Truelumen LED's....but debating how many of the strips I can actually fit (if any) or if i have to place them outside the hood? With the space being so limited and my creativity and ingenuity being very low.....I'm limited, lol.

Tank looks great so far! Great work.....was wondering if you could post some pics of how your have your LED's mounted? They all fit under the stock hood right, without modifications?

I've got the 6gal Edge and want to get some Truelumen LED's....but debating how many of the strips I can actually fit (if any) or if i have to place them outside the hood? With the space being so limited and my creativity and ingenuity being very low.....I'm limited, lol.

Thanks! I'm still unhappy with my rock scape. I plan on getting maybe 3 more pounds and maybe doing two separate tower like structures. Hopefully putting a Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo in this weekend. I'm at work right now but I'll put some pics up of my lighting setup when i get home. Right now they are stuck on by the double sided foam tape that came with them. I have two stuck directly to the hood towards the front and one taped on to the light arm behind the stock fixture. Going to get some silicone and permanently place them. I don't think the truelumens strips will fit in the hood.

Tall tanks are always more challenging to aquascape.

I tried the bonzai inspired aquascape and couldn't make it work. Maybe you can?

Example:

aquascape.jpg

Thanks! I'm still unhappy with my rock scape. I plan on getting maybe 3 more pounds and maybe doing two separate tower like structures. Hopefully putting a Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo in this weekend. I'm at work right now but I'll put some pics up of my lighting setup when i get home. Right now they are stuck on by the double sided foam tape that came with them. I have two stuck directly to the hood towards the front and one taped on to the light arm behind the stock fixture. Going to get some silicone and permanently place them. I don't think the truelumens strips will fit in the hood.

OK....I thought the strips might be too long, hasn't measured yet. I just got my tank on the 1st, so I'm still doing my "research".

OK....I thought the strips might be too long, hasn't measured yet. I just got my tank on the 1st, so I'm still doing my "research".

Good luck with it. I got my tank right before Christmas time. Plan on adding stuff very slowly.

Good look with it. I got my tank right before Christmas time. Plan on adding stuff very slowly.

Same here! I'm glad it's wiser to do it slowly because then my bank account (and g/f) don't get angry with me! lol ;)

Got my MP10Wes in the mail at work today. Bought it used so hopefully it's running good. According to seller it is still under warranty. Thanks to Fishcull for the fastest easiest paypal transaction/shipping ever. Now the question is, with height of the 12 gallon Fluval Edge. Where is the best place to stick it?

*UPDATE!*

Busy busy weekend.

FTS 1/20/2012

post-66032-1327352315_thumb.jpg

Friday:

I re-scaped my rocks again and this time I can say I am really happy with it (For now). Moving all the rocks around stirred up my sand a lot and my levels went up. Did a water change and added this stuff called TLC that my LFS salesman swore by. Levels went down pretty quickly. Thought I got ripped off by fishculls with the MP10wes sale when I couldn't adjust the speed on the pump. Went to Ecotech's website and downloaded the manual. Did a reset and now it works great. Too great at first. Damn sandstorm. Raised the postion of the pump and lowered the speed on reefcrest mode. Any suggestions on better placement or settings.

Saturday

Bent some wire to hang one of my LED strips under the hood. Still haven't glued the other 2 yet because I may buy the AI Nano sooner than later.

Here are some pics of my lighting set-up.

post-66032-1327349332_thumb.jpg

post-66032-1327349339_thumb.jpg

post-66032-1327349352_thumb.jpg

post-66032-1327349357_thumb.jpg

Sunday

Went to my regular LFS, Fishtown USA. My water ater quality was great so I decided to take advantage of 20% off coral sale and picked up a Neon Green Zoas Colony and a Green Fluorescent Mushroom Frag. Along with the corals I picked up some Chemi-Pure Elite, Calcon, calcium tester and a siphon. On my way home I decided to try out another LFS which wasn't too out of the way, Kissena Aquariums. Let me tell you the place is a little unorganized and the language barrier was a little rough but their prices were amazing and they had a great selection. They had a frag special buy any three $10 frags and get one free! They also had some beautiful larger frags for $25 each or two for $40. I bought a green zoa/polyp? frag, a Dragon Eye Zoa? frag, and a Green Striped Mushroom frag. I picked a Bullseye? Mushroom for the free one. The reason I have the question marks is nothing was labeled in the frag tanks and the with the guy speaking broken english all he could describe to me was the colors of the frags, nice guy though. While looking at the fish I decided to pick up a YWG. I would have gotten a Pistol shrimp too but they didnt have any at the time. Got some frozen brine shrimp and the guy threw some free empty shells for my hermit crabs at home. Looks like I have a new LFS. Got home and acclimated the corals and the fish and watched the Giants beat the Niners. Put everything in after the game and everyone seems happy, especially the YWG, which my daughter named Susie. I'm thinking it is far change from the bare bottom fish only tank in the store to having all these places to hide in the tank. The Neon Green Zoas Colony and all the Mushrooms seem to be opening up really well the other small frag of Zoas are just barely peaking out. Hopefully they are all open when I get home from work and the sand storm from earlier in the weekend settled down. If that's the case I'll get some better pics up.

Sorry for the ramble. :lol:

Looks good!

I mounted my LED's differently to you, i will take some pictures tonight and upload. Mine are mounted to the light bar, and are close to the water. I purchased a Bubble Tip anemone for my Clown, it's beautiful, but has been quite shy, hiding away in the rocks, today it's looking good! My Clown doesn't seem to be interested at this moment in time! :(

Zoas are doing well, think I'm going to buy a tonne of Zoas this Friday!

Looking forward to seeing your latest pics!

James

post-70098-1327410451_thumb.jpg

post-70098-1327410470_thumb.jpg

Hi again, the planned stock list is an overload for a tank this size. 2 clowns and damsel by itself are very active fish, and then the YWG which can get rather big. Since you've already added the goby, I would get the pistol for it and possibly one other fish and call it a day. Wait at least 4 weeks before adding the next fish. Give your new tank a chance to handle the load and mature.

Hope the emergency goes away fast.

Sorry, I forgot to reset the pump before sending it out. It was set to slave.

No wonder my eyes was twitching the other day. You must have been cursing me out. :P

As for placement, I have seen people place it on the back wall where the white column is. The glass and plastic is thin enough that it will probably stay put.

Hi again, the planned stock list is an overload for a tank this size. 2 clowns and damsel by itself are very active fish, and then the YWG which can get rather big. Since you've already added the goby, I would get the pistol for it and possibly one other fish and call it a day. Wait at least 4 weeks before adding the next fish. Give your new tank a chance to handle the load and mature.

Hope the emergency goes away fast.

I'll take your word for it regarding the planned livestock. Your tank is a big inspiration to me. I was thinking about adding some macro algae to my tank as well. How often do you do water changes on your Biocube?

I hope the emergency goes away fast as well.

Sorry, I forgot to reset the pump before sending it out. It was set to slave.

No wonder my eyes was twitching the other day. You must have been cursing me out. :P

As for placement, I have seen people place it on the back wall where the white column is. The glass and plastic is thin enough that it will probably stay put.

No worries. Everything is working great. Now on to tackling this water quality issue. Thanks again.

Nice! I hoped those lights would fit under the hood, looks cool....like the scaping also.

Yea, almost like they were made for the Edge. Thanks.

Looks good!

I mounted my LED's differently to you, i will take some pictures tonight and upload. Mine are mounted to the light bar, and are close to the water. I purchased a Bubble Tip anemone for my Clown, it's beautiful, but has been quite shy, hiding away in the rocks, today it's looking good! My Clown doesn't seem to be interested at this moment in time! :(

Zoas are doing well, think I'm going to buy a tonne of Zoas this Friday!

Looking forward to seeing your latest pics!

James

Thanks James. Pics up soon.

I'll take your word for it regarding the planned livestock. Your tank is a big inspiration to me. I was thinking about adding some macro algae to my tank as well. How often do you do water changes on your Biocube?

Thanks for the kind words. Macros are gorgeous additions to any tank. I change 10% every sunday. I waited 3 months before adding the first fish.

Close up of rockscape with new corals. Susie is chilling at the bottom right.

post-66032-1327440693_thumb.jpg

Dragon Eye Zoas?

post-66032-1327440699_thumb.jpg

Bulleye Mushroom?

post-66032-1327440709_thumb.jpg

Green Striped Mushrooms

post-66032-1327440720_thumb.jpg

The rock that the large Neon Green Zoas came on was actually split in half, only connected by the a couple of Zoa tubes. So I split it up.

post-66032-1327440829_thumb.jpg

Is it okay for the zoas and mushrooms to touch like that?

post-66032-1327440836_thumb.jpg

Susie the YWG :P

post-66032-1327440863_thumb.jpg

nice hippo :)

Huh? I don't have a Hippo Tang.

Archived